Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,090 times

Advertisements

My insurance through my work is a high deductible policy, I think our deductible is $4000. $5000 is reasonable if you're young and not likely going to use it, think of it as an insurance policy against something big/disastrous. The more you pay, the less your deductible.

Even though my work subsidizes my insurance, it still costs $450 for the $4000 deductible PPO plan.

There are no freebies.

Before you complain - the current insurance my parents have has a deductible of $6000 and they pay about $800 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, there is change......good change.

Instead of some people paying nothing toward their care.....they are now going to be contributing.

Instead of eating up thousands of dollars in ER care for things like colds and the flu.....they can see a doctor instead.

Also, many will be much more likely to seek out medical care long before their health problem has escalated into a major illness. For instance, it is much cheaper to treat high blood pressure than a stroke.
I see you don't understand the system, either...

Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I'm 31, Female in Florida. The government site has been down all day so I went on the CT site, where I used to live. The cheapest plan for me was $286 for a $5000 deductible, $30 copay for doc visits and $150 for emergency room. So I look at the plan details and all doctor appointments except the preventive care are copay AFTER deductible. This doesn't make sense. Who in their right mind is going to pay $286 dollars a month to basically get nothing before shelling out another $5k! Am I missing something?

I've looked at plans on ehealthinsurance.com a few weeks ago and I pay the same premium as above, but get doctor's visits with a copay BEFORE deductible. Not maternity of course or pre-natal and some other things which the ACA plans must have.

But how is that ACA plan "affordable." Might as well take my chances and pay the penalty. That's over $8K a year spend on medical insurance before any insurance even kicks in!
So get your healthcare through ehealthinsurance.com. Then you have health insurance. Problem solved. you do not HAVE to buy health insurance through your state program, you just have to have insurance.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, there is change......good change.

Instead of some people paying nothing toward their care.....they are now going to be contributing.

Instead of eating up thousands of dollars in ER care for things like colds and the flu.....they can see a doctor instead.

Also, many will be much more likely to seek out medical care long before their health problem has escalated into a major illness. For instance, it is much cheaper to treat high blood pressure than a stroke.

??? Why should people not using care pay for somethhing they're not using?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Why should people not using care pay for somethhing they're not using?
Why pay for car insurance? You may never need it.

Why pay for home insurance? You may never need it.

Why pay for health insurance? You may never need it. Maybe you will just drop dead in the blink of an eye.....without ever being sick a day in your life. Massive aneurysm.

If you have a crystal ball.....please let me know where you got it......I want one too!

Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
nothing is ever a problem or needed , that is until it is.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:50 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
ACA is intended to make healthcare affordable for those who previously could not afford healthcare, whether that was because they had reached a lifetime cap, had a preexisting condition, or because they were less affluent. ACA does what it was intended to do. Does everyone personally benefit? Of course not. The individual mandate was the insurance industry's price for the Guaranteed Issue and Affordability provisions of ACA. While ACA makes things better for those most vulnerable in our society, it comes at a price paid by the rest of us in society, as is the case with all moral imperatives our society abides.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:08 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Quote:
I guess we are insuring for the unpredictable?
That's pretty much what insurance is.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
I'm 31, Female in Florida. The government site has been down all day so I went on the CT site, where I used to live. The cheapest plan for me was $286 for a $5000 deductible, $30 copay for doc visits and $150 for emergency room. So I look at the plan details and all doctor appointments except the preventive care are copay AFTER deductible. This doesn't make sense. Who in their right mind is going to pay $286 dollars a month to basically get nothing before shelling out another $5k! Am I missing something?

I've looked at plans on ehealthinsurance.com a few weeks ago and I pay the same premium as above, but get doctor's visits with a copay BEFORE deductible. Not maternity of course or pre-natal and some other things which the ACA plans must have.

But how is that ACA plan "affordable." Might as well take my chances and pay the penalty. That's over $8K a year spend on medical insurance before any insurance even kicks in!
What you are missing is that you are reading the coverage wrong. It doesn't say that you pay the deductible first, what it says is that your copays do not go toward your deductible. If you go to your family doctor for say, a sinus infection. You are just going to pay your co-pay. What that plan is saying, though, is that with your $5000 deductible, that copay of $30 on the CT "Standard Silver 70" plan I just looked up your deductible is still $5000 and hasn't been reduced by $30 to $4970. This is NO different then a LOT of plans are now.

In the CT Platinum plan, there is NO deductible, $10 office copay and a max out of pocket for a family of $4000.

I just priced out a plan for a family of 4 in New Haven making $50,000/year, Mom/Dad were 45 and a 12 year old and a 5 year old child. Premiums were $270.91-$366.44/month with a max out of pocket of $10,400, $30 office copay, deductibles ranging from $4600 to $5000. That is a VERY reasonable plan cost and good coverage. Change that income level to $100,000 and the plans went to $850-1300/month depending on the deductibles/OOP you pick.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
It is quite simple. The government is trying to FORCE the young and the healthy into 'The program' so as to subsidize the health care of those who are older or not as healthy.

You pay, so that the others do not have to pay. (Or pay as much)

Welcome to Amerika
  1. ...and as provider costs from more 'new' patients and services rise, those who pay, vs. those who receive 'subsidies', pay more
  2. ...and companies (continue to) stop providing coverage, reduce workers hours, reduce hiring/retaining full time employees (and the economy sputters on)
  3. ...and 'old people' (over 70, 60, 50 ?) receive less and less coverage (and die sooner?..so don't vote )
  4. ...and health providers are forced to lower fees and see more patients (making being a provider less attractive, resulting in fewer providers with more patients)
  5. ...and the 'young' realize that they pay more for what's not a priority/'beneficial' to them...compared to a new iPhone, vacation or a school loan they will opt out and pay the penalty (much cheaper than the insurance) ... resulting in growth of #s 1, 2, 3, 4?
  6. ...and (back to #1) what's left of the shrinking 'middle class' will lead in funding the shortfall from all and pay more in fees and taxes
Our leaders assert that there are a few 'glitches' to work out, one infers after the 2500 page legislation is understood...and, more difficult, implemented...as demonstrated in early delays, exemptions, and changes already announced...but we'll work it out over the next few decades, trust us -- in business this would be a bad answer.

I'm sure there is an 'answer' (response) to this crude view/model...especially in what is called the 'strategic' time frame... so in simple terms what is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance