Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post

If I were to listen to you, I'd say that you're way too general with your advice and a little too lacking in terms of aggressiveness.
Easy for the OP to not be aggressive, since he is counting on inheritance from his millionaire parents.
Most of us do not have that cushion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 01:39 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,073,033 times
On the subject of retirement, I think even 15% is probably right on the mark. Social Security is probably not going to keep up with inflation (they have to make it solvent somehow), relying on inheritance works for some people, but not for most, you don't know how long you're going to live, etc, etc...

Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
I like Suze. I don't think she is a guru but she does offer some insight here and there. Noone's philosophy is a one size fits all plan. I pick and choose what applies to me.
Wrong. The podcasts have been discontinued as of Aug 31. Now you must watch her on TV no matter what if you want to see full episodes.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wrong. The podcasts have been discontinued as of Aug 31. Now you must watch her on TV no matter what if you want to see full episodes.
I still don't get what you're complaining about. You're upset that Ormon doesn't give you personalized advice yet you can't do the same for everyone else?

What did you expect from a tv show? That she was going to reach through the tv screen and grab you personally and give you free detailed nongeneralized advice?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:46 PM

344 posts, read 417,057 times
I have always liked her and thought her advice generally basic common sense stuff. Never learned that much from her. She was on the NBC evening news last night speaking about the government shutdown and raising the debt ceiling and what people should do because of it. I was floored when she started advising people to sell their bond funds and buy individual bonds or invest in dividend paying stocks. It was just a quick comment without context and I believe wrong for many/most people. It was shocking to me and cast her in a new light.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Look, I like Suze as a TV personality and her show is fun to watch. The point I'm making in this thread is that after 7 months of following her religiously, I'm not convinced that her advice is tailored enough to meet the specific financial situations of her audience, unless you're actually invited to be on the show, in which it's more personalized. Her emergency fund and retirement contributions seem to be a bit excessive or difficult for the average person to achieve. And when she said that everyone needs a revocable trust, that's when she truly lost me.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
I like Suze. I don't think she is a guru but she does offer some insight here and there. Noone's philosophy is a one size fits all plan. I pick and choose what applies to me.
Yes, she said that a 10% down payment is acceptable, but only if you meet a number of criteria. First, she said you must have an emergency fund, and only buy the home if it's no more expensive than your current rent. She also said to only do it if you can get a rate of 4.0 - 4.5%, among other things. The problem is...if you only put 10% down, that means you will have a LARGER mortgage payment and PMI, which is a ridiculous $180 a month here in Connecticut. It is VERY unlikely that such monthly house payment will be less than my current monthly rent.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
If you get free TV financial advice, you might consider that's how valuable it actually is. Learn to think for yourselves folks and don't listen to every Tom Dick and Mary who gets a TV show cause they are entertaining. Do some studying and research. I have a novel idea, How about buying a book, or two and learning something, but not a book from a TV "personality"

Old 10-15-2013, 04:12 PM

106,709 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Surprise surprise, you've just discovered what most of us already know - Suze Orman is a Personality first, and a financial advisor a distant second (and even that is mixed with "pseudo-therapist"). As you note, most of what she says isn't "bad" advice, but it's cookie cutter and predominantly common sense and/or overly conservative.

On the Revocable Living Trust issue, she's flat out stinking wrong. Don't even get me started on that. In the arena of estate planning she should shut her mouth because she's only getting herself into trouble.

Personally, on financial books, I'm a big fan of Andrew Tobias' "The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need".
i remember reading his book back in the 1980's. i think he even offered a software program if i rember for tracking investments.

suzies crowd are are mostly financial train wrecks. she really isn't geared for an audiance of succesful people.

her advice is basically given with a broad stroke to keep people from hurting themselves . most of america left to their own devices will commit financial suicide.

while stretching the truth like 401k loans are double taxed is more a scare tatic than truth.

work to 66 or 70 or put as much down as you can but figure 20% as the min for a house are all done to keep her dirty dozen misfits from doing more harm than good.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:28 PM

I don't see the need for an 8-month emergency fund for those who are not self-employed and are eligible for unemployment insurance in the event of job loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance