Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM

34 posts, read 52,076 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I have been putting off buying a Term Life Insurance policy because I know I can stand to lose a little wait to get my BMI in check.

I am 37 and My BMI is about 26.6 and in the overweight range.... so I would need to lose about 15 pounds to get into the "normal" weight category according to Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

I'm a non-smoker, non-drinker, but I am on a Lipitor prescription to maintain my cholesterol at a very healthy level.

I'm concerned that if I even apply for a policy right now that I will not get the best rates... and if I finally get my self motivated to lose the weight that I'll have a "black" mark against me in some insurance record somewhere.

I currently have a great life insurance policy through work, which is what has made me a little lax, but if a job loss happens, I'd hate to leave my family unprotected...

I am looking at a 1 Mil to 2 Mil 25-30 year policy depending on the rate.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Get the policy. Even if you don't get the best rates now many companies will reevaluate after 2 or 3 years and drop your rate if you qualify.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
I think that you are overthinking this. Term insurance is basically inexpensive. Unless you have one foot in the grave, you will get insurance at a good rate, especially if you are younger. If you do not like the quoted rate, check out another insurance company.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Also, double check your work policy. A great deal of them are accidental death only policies.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolebound View Post
What would you do?
Assuming you need the term life (you have a family with kids, etc), I would lose the weight to qualify for the lowest rates. I agree with everything else - getting the term life. I got $500K in 1997 but I wish I had bought a $1M or more. Still I got cheap rates, probably $150/year or so.

One other tip, get disability insurance as soon as possible - independent from your employer. The sooner you get it the cheaper the rates and they stay constant. You're more likely to become disabled than die. And if you lose your job you'll still have the DI. Consider any professional organizations - they offer pretty cheap rates too. I get mine through IEEE. Make sure the DI is for disability from your current occupation otherwise they can say you can go flip burgers somewhere. Most likely it's only 60% of your salary - and it doesn't add to your employer DI. So if your employer's long term DI is 50% and you have a 60% policy, the private policy will only pay the difference = 10%. You won't get 110%.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolebound View Post
Unfortunately I have been putting off buying a Term Life Insurance policy because I know I can stand to lose a little wait to get my BMI in check.

I am 37 and My BMI is about 26.6 and in the overweight range.... so I would need to lose about 15 pounds to get into the "normal" weight category according to Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

I'm a non-smoker, non-drinker, but I am on a Lipitor prescription to maintain my cholesterol at a very healthy level.

I'm concerned that if I even apply for a policy right now that I will not get the best rates... and if I finally get my self motivated to lose the weight that I'll have a "black" mark against me in some insurance record somewhere.

I currently have a great life insurance policy through work, which is what has made me a little lax, but if a job loss happens, I'd hate to leave my family unprotected...

I am looking at a 1 Mil to 2 Mil 25-30 year policy depending on the rate.

What would you do?
you can lose that 15 pounds in 1 month. so do it in 1 month and then get the insurance. if you cant lose 15 pounds in 1 month, you shouldn't bother waiting because you will never do it.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 AM

846 posts, read 1,881,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you can lose that 15 pounds in 1 month. so do it in 1 month and then get the insurance. if you cant lose 15 pounds in 1 month, you shouldn't bother waiting because you will never do it.
be careful here. losing weight rapidly could manifest itself in other places such as kidney function, liver function, and blood pressure....so whatever you think you'll gain from a lower BMI could actually make you a worse mortality risk.

Based on what you've posted, providing everything else is clean, there is a good chance you'll get one of the better rates.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
be careful here. losing weight rapidly could manifest itself in other places such as kidney function, liver function, and blood pressure....so whatever you think you'll gain from a lower BMI could actually make you a worse mortality risk.
I would like to see the number of people who have lost 15 pounds in a month and had those other problems. im sure its slim to none and those with problems probably started off very skinny to begin with.

this kind of talk is just perfect for someone to give themselves an excuse to not try to lose the weight. but lets be honest here, the OP didn't get overweight by having discipline with his/her diet. the odds are that they wont lose the weight, so no sense in pretending "oh I will lose the weight then get insurance" if you aren't really going to do it. also, its about "doing it" or not "doing it." losing the weight is easy, if you are going to "try" then don't bother.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 AM

634 posts, read 709,288 times
In 2007, when DH was 36, 5'9", 203 lbs and on Lipitor, we got $500k for 20 years and it costs us $280 a year. This was the preferred plus non tobacco. When my husband got his latest additional life insurance he was 42, 206lbs and on Lipitor. He didn't qualify for preferred plus because like an idiot he said he drank 5 glasses a wine thinking this was a good thing. Because of this, they went so far back in his medical history as it raised a red flag. They thought is he say 5 glasses he must really drunk 7-10.

Anyway this time he was just preferred and we got an additional 500k for 30 years for $900 a year. It would have only been $700 if he was pref. plus. I do remember the agent saying since the last time DH got insurance that the companies were more strict and thorough with the medical history and rates. Also, they do ask about recent weight loss and stuff like that.

I will say that there is a huge difference in pricing for 20 vs30 year. For DH, 500k for 20 yrs. pref. plus would have been $460 and $560 for just pref.

1mil for 20 was $863 pref plus vs $1412 for 30 yrs.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 AM

846 posts, read 1,881,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I would like to see the number of people who have lost 15 pounds in a month and had those other problems. im sure its slim to none and those with problems probably started off very skinny to begin with.

this kind of talk is just perfect for someone to give themselves an excuse to not try to lose the weight. but lets be honest here, the OP didn't get overweight by having discipline with his/her diet. the odds are that they wont lose the weight, so no sense in pretending "oh I will lose the weight then get insurance" if you aren't really going to do it. also, its about "doing it" or not "doing it." losing the weight is easy, if you are going to "try" then don't bother.

actually what I'm trying to convey is that BUILD is just one factor in determining issue class. BMI 26.6 for a 37 year old is actually a pretty good build. You'd be suprised on what happens to the blood panel for an individual with acute dehydration.

The OP is on a statin which could be deemed as favorable to some companies and negative to others.

Not having information to his medical history, prescription history, driving record, financial history, avocations, and occupation make it hard to pin exactly what his premium would be like. We also have no other information other than his age and build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance