Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times

Advertisements

I know I have a 'good' financial problem but interested to hear what some of the pros think....
Here's the debt:
Mortgage $230K
Car: $14K 1.9%
student loan: $12K 3.25%
Credit card debt: little to none.
Kids: 2 under 7
Next big purchase: Considering a boat in the next 6 months, probably $15-20K.
If we paid off car, SL and cash for boat, (essentially leaving us with only a mortgage as long term debt), it would be less than 10% of our overall financial position (cash 20% & securities 80% including 401K).
With the market doing what's it's done, is it time to take some money out at the market 'top' and pay off all those larger debts? I understand the strategy of debt interest vs income interest and going with whichever is higher but there's also the peace of mind factor of not having debt other than the mort (until I buy the hole in the water and start throwing money into it!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:52 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
...is it OK to take some GAINS to off pay debt?
Sometimes... for certain things.
Taking market high gains and shifting them to some other investment... is better.
Quote:
Considering a boat in the next 6 months, probably $15-20K.
Nope. Not even on a loan.

Be a pal of some boatowners.
Buy gas and beer the 4-10 times a year you go out then smile and wave as you leave the dock.

Quote:
student loan: $12K 3.25%
Credit card debt: little to none.
I'd rather see current income used to settle these promptly (and set up the EF too)...
even in preference to additional equity investment until they're dealt with.

Quote:
Mortgage $230K ; Car: $14K 1.9%
You're likely to ALWAYS have these... and your amounts aren't especially high
if you can you maintain the obligation from income. Can you?

Last edited by MrRational; 11-11-2013 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 06:58 AM

115 posts, read 135,320 times
Can't blame anyone for taking some profits now with the market at, or near, record highs even though I believe we could see additional gains over the next two or three months.

Late January or February looks like the best time for a significant market pullback, or correction, in my current view.

By the way, many would consider a boat a bad investment. Not me. As an avid water-skier, my friends and I are getting years and years of enjoyment out of mine.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor Five View Post
Can't blame anyone for taking some profits now with the market at, or near, record highs even though I believe we could see additional gains over the next two or three months.

Late January or February looks like the best time for a significant market pullback, or correction, in my current view.

By the way, many would consider a boat a bad investment. Not me. As an avid water-skier, my friends and I are getting years and years of enjoyment out of mine.
Some good advice on boat ownership I was given is to realize it's not an investment at all, that you're going to lose money no matter how you try to figure it out. Once you're comfortable with that fact, then you can really 'enjoy' the boat and not worry about what's it's costing you. Boats are a pure expense, not matter how we spin it. But, for people that love being on the water, it's money well spent.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 AM

346 posts, read 551,337 times
I don't own or boat but I used to work for a boat owner's association. A boat is a HUGE expense, even after purchasing it in full. My jaws dropped when I found out how much gasoline costs. Don't forget that you'll need insurance for loss, as well as some sort of towing service in case you run out of gas or the boat malfunction in water. I'd steal a boat waaaaay before I'd ever buy one, but that's just my opinion.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,890 times
The two happiest days in a boatowner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

I am assuming your mortgage rate is low so I wouldn't pay it off.
The other rates are low too. The thing is (and this is very unscientific), We're almost "due" for some sort of correction.

If you paid off the car and student loans now, you probably would be OK - OR, we could keep going at 15% a year for three more years and you'd loose some pretty nice gains.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
I don't own or boat but I used to work for a boat owner's association. A boat is a HUGE expense, even after purchasing it in full. My jaws dropped when I found out how much gasoline costs. Don't forget that you'll need insurance for loss, as well as some sort of towing service in case you run out of gas or the boat malfunction in water. I'd steal a boat waaaaay before I'd ever buy one, but that's just my opinion.
I remember in "The Millionaire Next Door" (I think) they said that the two biggest regrets of the wealthy individuals they surveyed were buying a second house, and buying a boat. The reason being that people never end up using either as much as they think. Big expense resulting in limited enjoyment is the result.

As far as the OP, I see nothing wrong with paying off debt when you have cash on hand.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
I didn't see anything about income, nor information about savings/retirement/529s etc..

I think it would be wiser to get rid of the student loans before the boat, unless you just want it that badly. It doesn't seem that you are going to come out far worse or better in most cases.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Lenniel, you also have to figure out what those gains will cost in terms of taxes. Sell on the upswing and you owe capital gains -- sometimes. And also run the numbers of what you lose in future gains of that money.

To my way of thinking, you're using expensive money to pay off cheap money.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,829,221 times
you didn't say how much you have in investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance