Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 03:41 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,294,770 times

Advertisements

(deleted -- wrong thread! )

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 12-28-2013 at 04:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Really??? Are you serious? Getting married isn't a financial transaction.....
Tell that to the judge, when you try to dissolve one.

Historically, in nearly all cultures, marriage as a civil fact arose as a financial transaction. The purpose of marriage was to assure the disposition of the wealth of the respective families and the inheritance thereof. It was rare to marry across economic lines.

Where there are still arranged marriages, the "arrangement" is to conjoin the wealth of the two families through the marriage of their offspring.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-28-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 03:35 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,304,844 times
I'm guessing that the OP is originally from India or another country where arranged marriages are more common. I think our citizens would be better if they asked some of those same questions before getting married or having children.

I don't have any good numbers for you. I had to laugh. My brother got married five years ago. The only expense change he commented on was toilet paper. He couldn't believe how much his toilet paper usage went up when he had a female living in the house.

I think you need to look at how long you want to live in Little Rock and see if it really is to your advantage to buy a house there. If you think you might want to move to the Northeast, it may be your advantage to rent for a few more years so you are more easily able to pack up and leave. Your future wife also might to be a part of the process of picking out the house.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:41 PM

84 posts, read 133,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm guessing that the OP is originally from India or another country where arranged marriages are more common. I think our citizens would be better if they asked some of those same questions before getting married or having children.

I don't have any good numbers for you. I had to laugh. My brother got married five years ago. The only expense change he commented on was toilet paper. He couldn't believe how much his toilet paper usage went up when he had a female living in the house.

I think you need to look at how long you want to live in Little Rock and see if it really is to your advantage to buy a house there. If you think you might want to move to the Northeast, it may be your advantage to rent for a few more years so you are more easily able to pack up and leave. Your future wife also might to be a part of the process of picking out the house.
Tell your brother to get spray Videt. around 40 bucks at amazon. Since then, me & my wife haven't bought toilet paper for last 6 years.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskamelot View Post
Tell your brother to get spray Videt. around 40 bucks at amazon. Since then, me & my wife haven't bought toilet paper for last 6 years.
A spray bidet.

yes, they are very good, feels much cleaner than toilet paper also.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 13,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I have a feeling the OP will stay single for a very long time. Good luck with all your cash and no one to share your wealth with.
what makes you think that?
If anything... I'm saying Im willing to split my income with my future wife to cover any of her needs so we can be together due to our immigration status, current job situation etc. Not sure you got my point but thats kind of a douche thing to say.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,038,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
here's probably a good monthly budget for your new wife

$10 - hair stuff
$150 - lingerie
$25 - pretzels
$20 - bus fare
$30 - other bathroom things
$35 - clothes and shoes

that should pretty much do it
That's some lingerie budget!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:05 AM

6,568 posts, read 8,415,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
here's probably a good monthly budget for your new wife

$10 - hair stuff
$150 - lingerie
$25 - pretzels
$20 - bus fare
$30 - other bathroom things
$35 - clothes and shoes

that should pretty much do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
That's some lingerie budget!
I thought the same thing! $150 a month for overrated underwear!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,943,933 times
I guess I am different,married now for 58 years and money between wife and I has always been one pot.We do not question what one spends or wants.Neither has taken advantage.We will discuss situations if needed.
We are from the old school!!
We have always been good friends.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 AM

10 posts, read 13,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I guess I am different,married now for 58 years and money between wife and I has always been one pot.We do not question what one spends or wants.Neither has taken advantage.We will discuss situations if needed.
We are from the old school!!
We have always been good friends.
This is what I'd like to have one day... just one pot. The way I see it is... if you don't trust your partner with money and responsible spending, then maybe you should reevaluate who you want to be with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance