Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:16 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Just pay off the loan and put that 220 bucks a month back into your EF. in two years your back where you are now, but without the debt load.
You are right. Everyone has been good about making suggestions and I appreciate it. I have one last thing to do and that's call the bank about early payment penalties. Should've done it already but wasn't there yet. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 03:20 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Yes, I know. All my funds are "liquid". And I guess I shouldn't call it my EF if it's just a plain ol' savings account. lol It's for whatever I need it for. Vacations and road trips come out of it, sometimes. The money is there to pay for it before I leave the driveway.

I like to have about a years worth in savings. $3,000 would last me three months but with my SS checks I could stretch it to six. I did it for nine months once so I know I can.
I'd say you're fine then. Pay off the loan. Your SS check isn't likely to just up and leave on you, right?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd say you're fine then. Pay off the loan. Your SS check isn't likely to just up and leave on you, right?
I HOPE not. It's 1/3 of my income and helps me live a 'decent' lifestyle!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,089 times
Should I take 1/2 of my savings and buy a car for cash to save $20 a month in interest? Is basically what you are asking. Spending half my savings in a car is too much.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
If your liquid assets are sitting in a savings account it doesn't make sense to pay 4% on a car loan. I would also look into getting those funds into a better account, still low risk but you are losing money doing what you are doing.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,399,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't actually HAVE a designated EF. It just all goes into one account and accumulates there. I use out of it as needed, which is rare. It's there for just in case I need to replace something but so far I haven't had to use it. So far I've replaced a swamp cooler and paid over $800 for some serious plumbing issues but didn't use EF funds. Also had a $500 deductible for a car repair. So the EF is 'just there'...in case I don't have the money in checking. The loan is about 4% interest. My EF is lucky to garner 1%!!
4% rate, i would either pay it off, or look into transferring it to a local credit union for about 1.5%-2% if you do a term < 36 months. 4% is very high to be paying if you've got cash on hand above and beyond at least a 6 month emergency fund amount.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Should I take 1/2 of my savings and buy a car for cash to save $20 a month in interest? Is basically what you are asking. Spending half my savings in a car is too much.
No. That isn't accurate because the OP already bought the car. Your scenario implies that they have a choice of whether or not they are going to make the payments. The OP is basically asking if they should liquidate half of their savings to save $242 a month, not including the amount they are currently losing to inflation.

I think that is a pretty good deal.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:32 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
No. That isn't accurate because the OP already bought the car. Your scenario implies that they have a choice of whether or not they are going to make the payments. The OP is basically asking if they should liquidate half of their savings to save $242 a month, not including the amount they are currently losing to inflation.

I think that is a pretty good deal.
It is just a mental game, your net worth isn't increasing $242 a month. All you are doing is moving your cash from sitting at the bank to moving it to your car where you don't have easy access to it anymore. Interest is the cost of the money, the rest is principal.

I'll rephrase, I can use 50% of my saving to pay for a car all cash or spend $20 a month more in interest so I don't have to use 50% or my savings. Even if the car is already bought the situation is the same, when you pay off the loan, you are buying the car from the bank.

If you pay off 1/2 of the loan to $2500, the rate stays the same but the amount interest will be reduce to 1/2 so instead of $20 a month , your cost is $10 a month in interest. Monthly loan payment won't change, you just pay it off sooner with less total interest.

Lets look at it another way - If the OP loss his/her job tomorrow, should they 1) pay off the car and save $242 a month or 2) not pay it off and keep the $5000

50% of your saving is just too much to blow on a car to save $20 a month in interest.

Why would 6 months of reserves be acceptable, why not way until you have 12 months of reserves?

I'd rather not touch on inflation in this situation because the OP is not taking any steps to counter it .

Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
BUT that car payment would still be getting paid. It would be going back into savings rather than to an auto account. Basically I would be putting over $700 in savings every month as opposed to $500+.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
If your liquid assets are sitting in a savings account it doesn't make sense to pay 4% on a car loan. I would also look into getting those funds into a better account, still low risk but you are losing money doing what you are doing.
I know. I get a lot less interest on my savings than I'm paying on my car loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance