Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think a real life example of "luck" would be having your money well invested in the stock market in early 2009 as the market was coming out of its bottom and seeing your money return 170% or more in the 5 years since then.
Then I wasn't so lucky. Maybe I should go liberal and start bouncing off walls crying life isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Those of us who have worked hard to build careers and businesses - worked 70 hour weeks, no sick days taken, risked our life savings to start businesses, etc are pretty offended when people tell us or imply that what we have now (after thirty years of labor and risk) is the result of luck more than anything else. Please.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:26 AM

Yep.... "you didn't build that" offended a lot of hard working, tax paying Americans. But hey it made the "I can't do that", gimme what you got but I don't want to do anything for it type people.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:17 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Like I said, I have a limited view of poverty based on my experiences. Within my own subset of poverty, I don't believe that I have a lot of misconceptions. Somewhere, someone, made a choice to be poor.
I don't think it's quite accurate that people make the choice to be poor...at least not in a conscious sort of way. I don't think a lot of people always choose to be rich consciously, either (although I think this is more common). Being poor or rich is more of a by-product of choices you make, the way you think about & approach life, etc. Unfortunately, many of these poor choices are unconscious, as people tend to copy the people around them (family, neighborhood, etc). They often don't know there are other options, or maybe they do, but those options are an abstraction because they've never seen it modeled in real life...i.e. single parenthood comes to mind. If you are born into such a family, you really don't have a practical template as to what a functioning, married 2 parent family looks like. Sure, you sort of know it's a good thing, but it seems like an abstract ideal, something too difficult to achieve, as opposed to a necessity or requirement.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't think it's quite accurate that people make the choice to be poor...at least not in a conscious sort of way. I don't think a lot of people always choose to be rich consciously, either (although I think this is more common). Being poor or rich is more of a by-product of choices you make, the way you think about & approach life, etc. Unfortunately, many of these poor choices are unconscious, as people tend to copy the people around them (family, neighborhood, etc). They often don't know there are other options, or maybe they do, but those options are an abstraction because they've never seen it modeled in real life...i.e. single parenthood comes to mind. If you are born into such a family, you really don't have a practical template as to what a functioning, married 2 parent family looks like. Sure, you sort of know it's a good thing, but it seems like an abstract ideal, something too difficult to achieve, as opposed to a necessity or requirement.
People should look around them. If the people they listen to for financial advise are poor, then if they listen they will follow the same steps. Also take attitude into consideration because it does matter.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
People should look around them. If the people they listen to for financial advise are poor, then if they listen they will follow the same steps. Also take attitude into consideration because it does matter.

??? I'm poor and I advise people to live frugally, save as much as you can, and buy as little house as you can, but do not rent long-term if you can at all avoid it.. If people listened to me, wouldn't they all own homes and have money socked away? Is that a bad thing? Or does my attitude ruin it all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance