Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,041,088 times

Advertisements

I have to have a diagnostic procedure that's probably going to run me $1500+ out of pocket due to my high deductible plan. I'd like to try to negotiate directly with the provider so my out of pocket expenses are less.
Anyone done this?
Any advice on doing so?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I'd like to try to negotiate directly with the provider so my out of pocket expenses are less.
So you plan on not using your insurance at all?

You can ask the provider, but I would think that the price would be more than the $1500 you will pay with insurance.
Oh... and they take cash up front if you go that route.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So you plan on not using your insurance at all?

You can ask the provider, but I would think that the price would be more than the $1500 you will pay with insurance.
Oh... and they take cash up front if you go that route.

My insurance won't kick in until I've met my deductible. So, until I've spent out of pocket to meet the deductible, the insurance won't pay anything (unless I'm misunderstanding that)?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
The first thing I can think of is to get a second opinion to see if you need the procedure or not. That's a lot out of pocket to not get a second opinion.

Like Pitt Chick said, sometimes you can get a discount using cash.

Sorry, that's about all I can think of.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times
I've read some things online about some people doing this, but I think in most cases they won't do this, because they are afraid of the precedent this would set. I had a high deductible plan a couple years ago and had to go to the ER, with a bill that ended up being $3,000- none of which was covered by insurance since I had not yet met my deductible even with that bill. I asked the hospital what I can do, if I can negotiate that price at all, they said no- all they can do is set up a payment plan to spread out the cost, and then if you skip out on any of that, they still won't negotiate- they just send your bill to collections where you are harrassed until you finally pay and you take a hit on your credit score.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
You can't really expect the healthcare provider to compensate you for the high-deductible part of your insurance plan. In effect, you chose the higher deductible in an effort to keep your payments lower. One way folks work around this is to schedule procedures within the calendar year where their deductible has already been met.

Otherwise, high medical bills, particularly hospital-related, are almost always negotiable. But, I suspect, in this case, that your provider's fee is probably within normal guidelines ... which is a reasonable counter to a request to reduce the cost to you.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
My insurance won't kick in until I've met my deductible. So, until I've spent out of pocket to meet the deductible, the insurance won't pay anything (unless I'm misunderstanding that)?

I have a high deductible plan. The first $6k comes out of my pocket. But, I get the insurance plans negotiated rates. I'll bet the OP is the same.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:31 PM

924 posts, read 1,678,190 times
My son had an MRI done of his lumbar spine. The first place said my insurer's negotiated rate would be $1200 (which I would have to pay due to high deductible). Another place I found online at my insurer's website had a negotiated rate of $400. Right there I would have saved money. I had no idea that the negotiated rates an insurer pays differ by so much for their various providers.

When I called the doctor to have the prescription re-written (the first prescription was pre-stamped with the name of the first place), the nurse offered to call a place she knew. She called me back and said there was a place about 40 minutes from my house that would do it on a Friday afternoon if I paid cash (debit card) for $250.00. So that's what we did, bypassing insurance entirely.

One of my daughter's doctors told me if he submitted the claim through insurance, it would be $90 billed to me in a few weeks, once it was processed. If I paid him by check right then, it would be $60.

So, start with asking the nurses or referral person at the prescribing doctor's office if they know anyone who will negotiate, expect that you might have to pay cash/debit card/check at check-in and you might get stuck with an unpopular day or time slot. Or, just check your carrier's website and see if they post their negotiated rates of certain procedures. You may find you can save quite a bit and still go through your insurer.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Are you anywhere near the US/Mexican border?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Talk about collusion.....I called 3 different medical groups and they were all very close in price for the procedure I'm scheduled to have. One place did offer a 25% discount for cash paid upfront.

I know I should be grateful for having health insurance, but my company's plan sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance