Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 04:07 AM

323 posts, read 430,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Could you just post all your related topics in one thread instead of starting 3?
more the merrier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 AM

323 posts, read 430,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesouthwell View Post
But I was told to use schedule c because I have an active role in the business (changing bedsheets and serving breakfast)

If I write off all the furniture in one year am I likely to get audited?
I do not know how long my landlord will let me sublease to other renters.
you have insurance? you might get sued if you serve bad eggs! or flat pancakes............lol.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 AM

872 posts, read 2,120,050 times
After reading all three threads you've started, I would agree with the posters who say you need to pay a professional, not use TurboTax. There is so much that you don't know about taxes and business that it is hard to figure out where to start to help you. (Please don't take this as an insult. The US Tax Code is complex, and the business rules confusing for those who have had no education or training in it.)

First, I would look at the IRS publications regarding income. For instance, Publications 334 (Individuals filing C or C-EZ), 525 (Taxable and Non-taxable Income), 529 (Miscellaneous Deductions), 535 (Business Expenses) would all help you start to understand the environment in which you are operating.

Theoretically, you could deduct the cost for bedding this year under §179. However, there are recapture provisions should the business fail or you later sell the property that you deduct. As someone else said, food that you provide is a direct expense, not something that is depreciated. Of course, you will need to be able to prove that the food that you deduct is solely for your guests and not for your personal consumption.

However, for now, start by seeing a tax professional who can help you get straightened out. Yes, it will cost you money, but that is also tax deductible! And it will help you reduce your risk in case of an audit. The landlord, on the other hand, is another issue, but we can't help you with that at all.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 AM

18,569 posts, read 15,695,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesouthwell View Post
Line 18 is so small.
There are bed sheets, bed frame, mattress, pillows, tables, cups, food.
Food should be 1 year depreciated.
You only depreciate items that retain a significant re-sale value for more than one year.

Food is not like that - it is simply an expense. In a day it will mostly be turned to CO2 and water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance