Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,040,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Statistically speaking, it doesn't matter how much money a person has if s/he is unable to manage a budget. Manging money is imperative to not being trapped into these ridiculous credit card scams and infomercial guys making a gazillion dollars off of telling people what everyone learned in 3rd math. Don't spend more than you bring in. It's not an impossible concept.

Lottery Winners Go Broke
This.

Op: Do you have a budget? An emergency fund? How much do you pay towards your debt in a typical month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:00 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,040,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
That might be true, or it might not. I don't know. But Dave would not have become a multi millionaire selling a program that didn't work.

20yrsinBranson
He has become a multi millionaire because he is an exceptional motivational speaker. He could sell ice to Eskimos but it does not necessarily mean the Eskimos should buy ice.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 11,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

Op: Do you have a budget? An emergency fund? How much do you pay towards your debt in a typical month?

Yes, I budget everything. I save 10% of my income into an emergency fund every paycheck. At this point, I'm paying about $150-160 a month towards credit card debt. But that's with me making minimum payments only. Of course I also have other debt, such as student loans, car payment, etc.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Good for you for getting a handle on your finances. I would suggest that you never have a balance on more than one credit card at a time. When I think of using credit, I always make sure that I am using it, and it's not using me. One of the benefits of building a credit history is you will get much better interest rate offers, so don't accept a rate that is insultingly high.

I would put the extra money on Card A. Then, I would look for a balance transfer offer of 0%, and I would transfer the remaining balance on Card A and the balance on Card B. You will incur a fee for this, but it won't be very much on this amount. Then I would pay this balance down within the time frame of the offer.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:59 PM

10 posts, read 11,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Good for you for getting a handle on your finances. I would suggest that you never have a balance on more than one credit card at a time. When I think of using credit, I always make sure that I am using it, and it's not using me. One of the benefits of building a credit history is you will get much better interest rate offers, so don't accept a rate that is insultingly high.

I would put the extra money on Card A. Then, I would look for a balance transfer offer of 0%, and I would transfer the remaining balance on Card A and the balance on Card B. You will incur a fee for this, but it won't be very much on this amount. Then I would pay this balance down within the time frame of the offer.

Card B is maxed out. Also, if I try to not have a balance on more than one card at a time, shouldn't I pay off Card B first since it's within striking distance of the amount of money I have available to put down towards credit card debt?

Or maybe I should pay off Card B completely and then do a balance transfer from Card A to B? But that would exceed the credit limit on B.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,781,463 times
I believe gentlearts suggestion is really more of a "going forward" piece of advice. Ideally you wouldn't want to have so much debt that you max out a card and go over to a second card. But you're already there, so the question now becomes what do you do about it.

In a theoretical argument, people can go back and forth, because of a lack of details, but at this high of a rate, I don't even think this is a debate.

Card A with every extra dollar you have. Especially since card B is on a promotional rate of 0%. After your tax return, Card A will be both the lower balance and higher rate card, helping you stay focused and saving you interest.. This is a really easy choice.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 AM

395 posts, read 604,234 times
Also, is it recommended to pay the card several times a month, or strictly on the due date?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,781,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
Also, is it recommended to pay the card several times a month, or strictly on the due date?
The only time you really see any kind of impact from the several times a month approach is if you're worried about a) going over your credit limit or b) trying to maximize credit score.

For b) I don't think the impact is huge, but since the credit card company reports your balance only once a month, the lower your balance on the reporting day the better. Ultimately, I don't think it's a huge impact unless you're really close to maxing out your card and you need your credit score to jump immediately.

It might technically be a little better, but I think the hassle of having to log in to make the payment isn't worth not using auto pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance