Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,380,514 times

Advertisements

It still amazes me that people think whatever they do on the web or in their emails is private. The moment you buy real property or you list your name anywhere, it becomes public info. Nothing is private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,454,873 times
I was watching a report recently, you should also be aware that lets say you apply for a job, you give them your email address, lets say its Greenmachine@blahblah.com (I of course made that up). They can do a search assuming you use that user name and posibly find things that you have posted (like this board AND all your posts for instance).

Make sure you give an email address on your resume that doesn't link up like that to names you have used on other sites. I read where an employer did a search like that and found the person had some opinions he objected to and he decided to NOT hire the person because of what he read.

I had a guy come on here, make one post then contact me to get me talking. He had a strange user name, I was able to see where he had been literally all over the internet trying to get someone to have phone sex with him.

Never type anything on the internet you wouldn't say out loud in a crowded room.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I had them take the info off the website, but it is still showing up in an internet search. If you click on the link, it is blank. Do you know how to get my stuff off the cache?

Thanks
Even worse, one can search for "archives" of internet webpages, only time removes some of that information..

Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I was watching a report recently, you should also be aware that lets say you apply for a job, you give them your email address, lets say its Greenmachine@blahblah.com (I of course made that up). They can do a search assuming you use that user name and posibly find things that you have posted (like this board AND all your posts for instance).

Make sure you give an email address on your resume that doesn't link up like that to names you have used on other sites. I read where an employer did a search like that and found the person had some opinions he objected to and he decided to NOT hire the person because of what he read.
That makes a great point. I make a point of changing not only email addresses every 6 months, but also IP addresses on my computers. They get changed when the clocks get changed. I'll keep the old email addresses for about 2-3 months in addition to the new one to weed out the websites I forgot to change.

I also keep one email address for business, that never gets used for anything but personal communications, and I dont use aol emails because they are tied to the aim screenames.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,223,489 times
Well, I'm on zabasearch, but the info is 2 1/2 years out of date. They don't have my new address or phone number. But my new phone number is in the book anyway, so I suppose it doesn't make much difference. Creepy, but it's all in the public domain.

I had to verify my identity a while back over a bank mixup and the bank person had a list of questions for me to verify my identity, said she'd gotten the info out of the public domain. The questions went back years, one was about an old phone number, another what cars were registered to me. This info is all out there somewhere available to anyone who knows how to look and/or is willing to pay for it.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 AM

226 posts, read 1,169,433 times
I have a question for all of you....of all people on here, the only people to use actual names for handles are real estate agents, along with the "real estate agent" under the name. I've mentioned on there(RE pro board) all the downfalls to posting actual names, and they essentially thought it ludicrous to worry about it, as long as they were upfront with their business, whatever that means. For a good laugh, go on that post and see the only area on here where people still post actual names, like kids might when they first start using the net.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
I have a question for all of you....of all people on here, the only people to use actual names for handles are real estate agents, along with the "real estate agent" under the name. I've mentioned on there(RE pro board) all the downfalls to posting actual names, and they essentially thought it ludicrous to worry about it, as long as they were upfront with their business, whatever that means. For a good laugh, go on that post and see the only area on here where people still post actual names, like kids might when they first start using the net.
I can understand a realtor using their own name, if they are trying to drum up customers and giving advise on real estate issues. Real Estate agents have their names listed on every listing online also.

Such as I can understand lawyers doing the same. I can enter my lawyers name, and he appears everywhere as his court cases get posted in newspapers etc.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 AM

226 posts, read 1,169,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I can understand a realtor using their own name, if they are trying to drum up customers and giving advise on real estate issues. Real Estate agents have their names listed on every listing online also.

Such as I can understand lawyers doing the same. I can enter my lawyers name, and he appears everywhere as his court cases get posted in newspapers etc.
I still wonder if you pose a greater risk for internet theft with all that personal info, though business related. I would think that an internet identity thief would focus first on people that had on-line business, with plenty of real names attached. Would not be much of a stretch, and a lot easier target than fishing for folks with less internet presense. Just a thought.....

Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM

919 posts, read 3,186,272 times
There probably are alot of unstable people who come here and collect info...I never give exact info out..or if i did or have... its not totally viable.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
I still wonder if you pose a greater risk for internet theft with all that personal info, though business related. I would think that an internet identity thief would focus first on people that had on-line business, with plenty of real names attached. Would not be much of a stretch, and a lot easier target than fishing for folks with less internet presense. Just a thought.....
Well there really isnt much that anyone can do knowing
a name, and industry.

Usually isnt enough information that a "hacker" couldnt get simply by opening up a phone book, or in this case, simply looking up realtor.com or opening up a homes magazine. Most of them list, city, phone numbers, including cell phones, and some indication of "wealth" of the agent. Are they selling a $5,000,000 home, or a $50,000 one.. I would assume that the agents that sell the higher priced homes, have a higher net year then those selling $50K ones.. Face with targeting the two.. I know what one I'd go after..

I have tried numerous times to get my name out of Wikipedia, eventually I'll end up sending a legal letter to ask that it be removed. Not sure if I have any legal justification though but I'm sure they have legal grounds to list me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance