Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 PM

15,038 posts, read 12,242,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You don't even have to wait for a bill to come. We pay our Amex off weekly
LOL, You really confuse them when you do that, though. At least that's what my DH says, when he pays off his Amex before he gets a bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, You really confuse them when you do that, though. At least that's what my DH says, when he pays off his Amex before he gets a bill.
I hate to burst his bubble and spoil his fun, but DH is wrong. If you send a check, some data entry clerk enters the payment and goes on about his or her business, no confusion there. If you pay online it's all handled electronically so that there's not even anyone in the loop to confuse.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:25 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,324,813 times
Quote:
[/b]

Those "cash back" offers always remind me that there truly IS no free ride, there's a catch somewhere. From what I've read, overall, interest rates on those cards with cash back options are generally higher than those that don't offer them. I've tended to stay away from those.
The "catch" is that most people will carry a balance, and those that do will pay much more in interest than the bank pays out in rewards.

The relatively few who are disciplined enough to spend no more than they can pay off each month are earning those reward points on the backs of those who aren't.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM

26,200 posts, read 21,690,573 times
Quote:

Who is dh?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,542,743 times
Good job OP!

Old 05-01-2014, 05:47 PM

592 posts, read 804,191 times
Quote:
Who is dh?
I've recently learned that Dh means "dear husband"...kinda silly acronym to me lol

Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,797,787 times
Quote:
[/b]

Those "cash back" offers always remind me that there truly IS no free ride, there's a catch somewhere. From what I've read, overall, interest rates on those cards with cash back options are generally higher than those that don't offer them. I've tended to stay away from those.
Yes my rewards credit card has a stupid high interest rate, but I've never paid a penny.

The bank gets a cut from the merchant, the merchant gets higher sales and easier accounting, I get some percentage back, consumer protections, and don't have to carry large amounts of cash or checks wherever I go.

And I get a two month float on my purchases from charge until bill due date, that's more time to have my money in savings earning just a bit more for me.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:17 AM

30,914 posts, read 37,067,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I just had my credit checked and my credit score was 834 out of 843 on the Transunion scale. I'm pleased, this near perfect.

My question is, is there anything cool I can do with a high credit score? I pay cash for everything, so a low interest rate doesn't help me. Best I can figure out is I can qualify for credit card offers that provide a bonus to open a credit card. Can't figure out anything else that I can do though.
A good credit score is nice, but it's not the be-all, end-all. Mine is 817. Other than getting good offers for credit card bonuses (spend $500 in 3 months, get $100 statement credit), I don't do anything with my credit score.

Having savings and investments trumps the importance of a good credit score, IMO.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
He already told how he did it. Pays cash for everything. Just a 1%er wondering if the common folk know of any tricks??
One does not need to be a 1%er to have a high credit score. I am far from that and my score is in the same range as the OPs.

If you have a few credit cards and you don't charge them up to the max and you pay them on time every month, you'll have a good credit score. No big deal.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
You don't even have to wait for a bill to come. We pay our Amex off weekly
I do something similar. I pay my credit cards every 2 weeks as I get paid. Then I don't have to worry about grace periods and all that other nonsense. It also helps me keep from making too many impluse purchases if I pay more frequently. Just call the 800 number on the back of each card to get the balances and pay the bills online. Easy.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-02-2014 at 01:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance