Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 04:33 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,250,053 times

Advertisements

I am inquiring about the Hillis settlement. I completed paperwork sent to me several months ago and have now received info that I am entitle to three months of "Score Watch" from Equifax.

Part of email said:
In connection with the Settlement of a Class Action lawsuit against Equifax and Fair Isaac, you submitted an Authentication Form. Based upon a review of our records, you are entitled to receive 3 months free of Score Watch from Equifax. This Notice provides you with instructions on how to redeem your settlement benefit from Equifax. Your Equifax Benefit Code will expire in 90 days.

Is this something that I should do? I have a feeling it's another way to get ripped off for a service that I either don't need or can obtain for free somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 04:53 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,167,724 times
Who did the email come from?
If it came form the "score watch" folks it would be interesting to see if they "require" some sort of credit card info so if after the 3 months you "love" the service so much you may want to continue. The "hook" is if you don't cancel they will "gladly" bill you each month.

I am one of those folks that believe in watching my own credit not paying someone to do it for me.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:24 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,250,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Who did the email come from?
If it came form the "score watch" folks it would be interesting to see if they "require" some sort of credit card info so if after the 3 months you "love" the service so much you may want to continue. The "hook" is if you don't cancel they will "gladly" bill you each month.

I am one of those folks that believe in watching my own credit not paying someone to do it for me.
I received it in the mail. Several years ago I paid for credit report information and there was a bonafide class action settlement. The e-mail came a couple months after my completion of the class action paperwork.

I figured I would get a portion of the money that I paid returned to me. Am I missing something, or is there no reason to get a score watch when I can watch myself? In a few months I can check the next company and a few months after that, the third.

Although I would like to know what my credit score is, it's more out of curiosity than anything else. I'm not planning on applying for credit, so am only concerned with negative reports, which I can check through the actual credit reports.

I just checked my Equifax and nothing bad on there except one little cell phone bill ($38) from a couple years ago that I refuse to pay, do not owe and would sooner burn the money than give them a cent of it. After reading this forum, though, I am sorry that I closed out CCs that were in good standing... Live and learn.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:37 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,167,724 times
hif
If they have not been closed that long you can reopen them.
We can talk more about this at lunch next week. 'cause you know how I love talking credit

Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,252,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I received it in the mail. Several years ago I paid for credit report information and there was a bonafide class action settlement. The e-mail came a couple months after my completion of the class action paperwork.

I figured I would get a portion of the money that I paid returned to me. Am I missing something, or is there no reason to get a score watch when I can watch myself?
No, your not missing anything, Equifax settled paying all the cash to the lawyers, you get a few months of credit monitoring. whipee.. you should be thrilled right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance