Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 04:22 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,912,018 times

Advertisements

For years, we've given significantly to a number of charities/ministries where the majority of all money (80-percent plus) is passed through (ie; Gospel for Asia; Food for the Hungry, etc). Of course, we also tithe through the church, but, keep a close eye on the giving budgets of the church.

We've also encouraged our adult children/families to give to missions/charities, in lieu of exchanging Christmas gifts. We still give gifts to the children, but, even they enjoy and participate in this alternative giving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 11:34 PM

8,948 posts, read 7,022,672 times
My family has stopped gift-giving entirely (except for kids), with the idea that the same money is donated instead.

At first people were giving to organizations in each others' names. But most people don't want to be on someone else's favorite organizations' mailing lists, and there's no point in spreading money out to a bunch of groups when a single donation per giver is simpler for everyone including the recipients.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:13 AM

35,284 posts, read 31,677,823 times
Over the past few years, I'm so disillusioned that I wouldn't donate to anything outside of my local area, and even then I'd want to know explicitly what the intent of the donation was.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:37 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,087,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Over the past few years, I'm so disillusioned that I wouldn't donate to anything outside of my local area, and even then I'd want to know explicitly what the intent of the donation was.
I feel the same way.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:52 PM

4,217 posts, read 3,157,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I too am disillusioned, not only with my charitable contributions, but also with my political donations.

One of my religion professors told our class that he had twice borrowed money to donate to his church. I could not have been more shocked had he told us that he had twice participated in a Black Mass. I thought at the time that all he was doing was making his banker wealthy. Decades later I discussed this with a coworker, who pointed out that you would have to question the church's ability to manage their finances. If my church were to ask me to borrow money, the first time I would be having a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the finance committee. There would not be a second time.

From time to time, one of my churches has brought up the subject of tithing. Most recently it was a series of DVD lectures from Robert Morris. His interpretations of gospel were inventive, but not scriptural. If my church ever got too insistent about tithing, I would leave. Some years ago, when my salary as a government worker was published in the local paper, my only real concern was that my church would want more money.

I only donate to charities and political organizations once a year. With today's computer technology, it would be simple to just send one request a year. And yet, my donations are squandered with repeated requests for more money. I have to look back in my checkbook in order to make sure that I have not already given to that organization for the year.

My advice now to people is do not donate to political organizations. It's worse than feeding stray animals. At least the animals don't repeatedly call you on the telephone. As far as charities, it's probably best to limit yourself to one or two, so that you are not inundated with requests for even more money.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:55 AM

107,494 posts, read 109,961,286 times
fidelity has one of the biggest charitable gifting dept around .

you can contribute as much as you want in to investment accounts , take the deduction that year , yet let the money continue to compound and grow until you are ready to select a charity .

donating appreciating stock or funds is better than using your cash because unlike cash you get from investments and then donate , the donated investments never pay taxes on the gains .

they have lists a mile long of approved charities and are sorted by types of charities and causes .

Old 11-26-2017, 01:35 PM

22,481 posts, read 29,684,148 times
I do canned goods and toys for the holidays. I've also started sending money to Denver Rescue and Wounded Warrior

Old 11-26-2017, 01:42 PM

736 posts, read 459,703 times
Here are 3 sites that rate charities:

Charity Navigator: https://www.charitynavigator.org/
CharityWatch: https://www.charitywatch.org/home
GiveWell: https://www.givewell.org/

Old 11-27-2017, 01:35 PM

89,046 posts, read 85,654,677 times
I prefer local places where the money will be used to the maximum and not for administrative purposes and to mail me requests every week for more money.

I give to my church to help keep it open, but that's not actual charity. No one ever tells us we have to tithe. Once a year, instead of a sermon, the Treasurer goes over the budget and the expenses so everyone knows what it costs to keep the church running. Then they ask for a pledge so that a budget can be drawn up, but no one is harassed or told how much to give. Through the church, however, there are charitable opportunities.

I donate to a local soup kitchen/food pantry regularly, and throughout the year there are other events with organizations with whom we have a relationship. So, for example, in the summer they ask for backpacks and school supplies for kids whose parents can't afford them, and in December we do gifts and food for families in need related to medical problems (it's through the Visiting Nurse Association.)

Old 11-27-2017, 07:08 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,616,182 times
I like to provide anonymous gifts throughout the year to folks like my group fitness class instructor who greatly influences our health and well-being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance