Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 AM

26,205 posts, read 21,704,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
thanks. You may be right. I have almost no money now to throw even at the down payment of the land.....maybe i should re-evaluate in a few years. my fear again was/is that the same piece of land that goes for 200k would be 400k in a few years....due to rising prices in general, and further development of the surrounding areas that would make any piece of land in my area more attractive...
If the land for building double in value surely your current home value would increase to offset that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,314,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
so I have 3 bedroom and a finished attic.

our small den off of our living room is where the desk and computer is. our attic bedroom is our "guest room". my 3.5 yr old and 2 yr old have bunk beds in one br, my infant is in the other, and we're in the master.

Gues rooms are nice to have. but i really don't know many people that have them.

Do you have a finished basement? You really need to use a legal-bedroom as an office?
Yes. i'd need the office to be upstairs...even though the basement is finished and being used currently for the kids to play. we definitely need a guest bedroom as we have in laws that stay with us for one or two months a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If the land for building double in value surely your current home value would increase to offset that right?
I guess so, but maybe not at the same ratio. who knows.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 AM

906 posts, read 1,772,981 times
Is there any feasible way to renovate your current home to add a fifth bedroom?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
Is there any feasible way to renovate your current home to add a fifth bedroom?
Now that i'm thinking about it, yes, it's possible. right above the garrage....But that still does nothing for the amount of land, and the 'new' factor. And i doubt if the value of the house will go up by 50k if i spend 50k making that 5th bedroom. (our house's value is at the top of how much it would/could go for. in other words, no matter what i do to the house (aside from gold-plating it), nobody will pay 1Million for it.)

Old 08-12-2014, 11:16 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,668,470 times
Quote:
Now that i'm thinking about it, yes, it's possible. right above the garrage....But that still does nothing for the amount of land, and the 'new' factor. And i doubt if the value of the house will go up by 50k if i spend 50k making that 5th bedroom. (our house's value is at the top of how much it would/could go for. in other words, no matter what i do to the house (aside from gold-plating it), nobody will pay 1Million for it.)
That only matters if you would then turn around and sell. If you plan to stay put for many years to come, the value of the room addition is irrelevant.

You can afford to do what you want, so, decide what you want. Is the extra cost of moving and building new worth it to you and your family? Only you can say.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure how you can say the house is at the top of the value that someone would pay. If you add more sqft it is likely someone would pay more. Also just because you spend 50k adding on and it add less value doesn't mean it's a loss or wasted, closing cost on selling a 600k are close to even with your 50k not to mention the second transaction you would have to go through.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:56 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,472,527 times
A thing to remember is overbuilding and/or over upgrading for your neighborhood is one of the major mistakes people make in real estate.

After thinking back to the original
Quote:
Faced with two option after paying off the house. Ideas?
I think you are not faced with 2 options. You're faced with "I wantitis".

Old 08-12-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That only matters if you would then turn around and sell. If you plan to stay put for many years to come, the value of the room addition is irrelevant.

You can afford to do what you want, so, decide what you want. Is the extra cost of moving and building new worth it to you and your family? Only you can say.
Good point.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not sure how you can say the house is at the top of the value that someone would pay. If you add more sqft it is likely someone would pay more. Also just because you spend 50k adding on and it add less value doesn't mean it's a loss or wasted, closing cost on selling a 600k are close to even with your 50k not to mention the second transaction you would have to go through.
i can say that because the houses (even updated ones like ours) go for around 550k. adding another bedroom may increase the price but i doubt by much. again, who knows.
Also, although i get your point about the costs typically involved with selling and the 'second transaction', where is your 50k closing costs coming from?

ps. i will no doubt be selling without going through an agent to save the roughly 36k in commission fees. To me, that's insane!

Old 08-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
A thing to remember is overbuilding and/or over upgrading for your neighborhood is one of the major mistakes people make in real estate.

After thinking back to the original I think you are not faced with 2 options. You're faced with "I wantitis".
haha yes. true. i concur.
it's a combination of both 'want' and 'need' really....but more leaning towards the condition you defined.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Good point.
Thank you.

i can say that because the houses (even updated ones like ours) go for around 550k. adding another bedroom may increase the price but i doubt by much. again, who knows.
Also, although i get your point about the costs typically involved with selling and the 'second transaction', where is your 50k closing costs coming from?

ps. i will no doubt be selling without going through an agent to save the roughly 36k in commission fees. To me, that's insane!

You would know what your range is in the neighborhood if you had a realtor friend as they could pull comps and see what 5 bedroom updated sales were going for. Real estate commission, transaction cost, title policy, origination fees and on and on. Buying and selling real estate cost something even if you try to cut out a realtor. Good luck in your housing conundrum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance