Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 01:57 AM

107,319 posts, read 109,695,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And when renters try to cut expenses, you homeowner types want to stop then from doing so.
yep ,because you want to do it by others cutting their pay checks as landlords or business owners or you want some zoning regulations to be pushed aside so the area can look like a refugee camp..

you want to circumvent the fact you need to work smarter , work longer or do better by taking away from others to compensate you for what you can't or won't do on your own.

you want health and building codes reduced , others to earn less profit so you can continue on your path to finacial suicide with hardly any more effort put in on your side. .

sorry my friend but you get no sympathy or slack from me.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-17-2014 at 03:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,675,065 times
Quote:
Personal responsibility also means that the 100% APR risk is not responsible for the 1000% APR risk.
It doesn't mean that at all.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
In a free market, competition would motivate him to cut rents! D'OH!

Many times I have heard homeowners say, "There is too much rental housing in the neighborhood (and government should do something about it)".

Every economist knows that the marketplace is the best and proper place to determine how much rental housing should be in a neighborhood.

My own interests are best served in a free market for housing. Your and the landlord's interests are best served in an unfree market.
I have never heard anyone make such a statement. Maybe I hang out with too many libertarians and am just missing out.

There are many factors impacting local rental rates. I think you can make a convincing argument that interest rates are one of those factors. However, they are not the only factor, and IMO not a very important one. The biggies are local supply of housing and local economy.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 AM

33,012 posts, read 27,559,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yep ,because you want to do it by others cutting their pay checks as landlords or business owners or you want some zoning regulations to be pushed aside so the area can look like a refugee camp..

you want to circumvent the fact you need to work smarter , work longer or do better by taking away from others to compensate you for what you can't or won't do on your own.

you want health and building codes reduced , others to earn less profit so you can continue on your path to finacial suicide with hardly any more effort put in on your side. .

sorry my friend but you get no sympathy or slack from me.

Will you at least admit you support protectionism and oppose a free market?

Zoning artificially restricts housing supply and thereby cuts the paychecks of renters - will you admit that?

No problem with reasonable heath and safety codes and things like setback requirements but a lot of code requirements are merely imposing elitist standards on everyone whether or not they can afford it - and excluding those who cannot afford it is one purpose.

e.g. please explain why is is lawful for a family of 6 to live in a 2BR house and unlawful for three or four unrelated individuals to live in an 8BR house.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 AM

17,411 posts, read 12,027,827 times
Quote:

Zoning artificially restricts housing supply and thereby cuts the paychecks of renters - will you admit that?

No problem with reasonable heath and safety codes and things like setback requirements but a lot of code requirements are merely imposing elitist standards on everyone whether or not they can afford it - and excluding those who cannot afford it is one purpose.

e.g. please explain why is is lawful for a family of 6 to live in a 2BR house and unlawful for three or four unrelated individuals to live in an 8BR house.
If you admit that you oppose democracy.

Lack of zoning drives home values down, and brings in the renters that have no pride in their home, thereby cutting the worth of homeowners. Will you admit that?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100;36531837[B
]I have never heard anyone make such a statement. Maybe I hang out with too many libertarians and am just missing out. [/b]

There are many factors impacting local rental rates. I think you can make a convincing argument that interest rates are one of those factors. However, they are not the only factor, and IMO not a very important one. The biggies are local supply of housing and local economy.

Go to any college town where landlords are expanding their rental portfolios. As departing/retiring homeowners sell to the highest bidder (landlords), the remaining homeowners complain and demand that government do something about it. The zoning rules and unrelated occupancy limits are gradually tightened (as incremental steps fail to swiftly appease immediate-gratification homeowners, they demand more and more from government) and ultimately it becomes unprofitable to buy a house and convert it to a rental (e.g. rent is $2000 and two unrelated adults can't afford that, under the old rules, four unrelated adults could afford it). Only the 'old' landlords who bought prior to the zoning changes are grandfathered and can rent to four unrelated, causing rents to necessarily skyrocket..

Old 09-17-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:

I don't think you want a completely free market economy. In a truly free market, there is no such thing as minimum wage.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If you admit that you oppose democracy.

Lack of zoning drives home values down, and brings in the renters that have no pride in their home, thereby cutting the worth of homeowners. Will you admit that?

How's this:

Zoning and rent control should either both be allowed or both be prohibited.

A number of states (including Michigan and Oregon) prohibit rent control but in no state is zoning prohibited.

Houston lacks zoning and I have not noticed a deficiency of property values there.

Would a legislated policy stand if racial animus in its passage were demonstrated? You think animus against renters is acceptable in promulgating public policy?

p.s. a zoning referendum was rejected on the votes of poor and rich voters; while the middle class supported imposing zoning on Houston. What does that tell you? You think the rich and the poor are dumb? Only puzzling aspect of the Houston Post survey was that they failed to ask respondents whether they owned or rented; I think the opposition to zoning would have been concentrated among renters.

p.p.s. we've already seen where democracy takes us when a demographic group is disfavored by the public.

Politics: The Dead Zone - Reason.com

Last edited by freemkt; 09-17-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I don't think you want a completely free market economy. In a truly free market, there is no such thing as minimum wage.

I'm okay with that as long as the housing market is also free.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:23 AM

5,275 posts, read 6,451,734 times
Quote:
Houston lacks zoning and I have not noticed a deficiency of property values there.
Houston may not have zoning, but they have plenty of rules which limit building and plenty more which govern how things have to be built. I'm not talking about basic codes either for plumbing or electrical, I'm talking they have requirements about distance between street trees and things well beyond basic construction.

Not having zoning only means they don't specificially work to separate Commerical, Industrial, and Residential (ie your old-school sim city squares) into separate zones.

The 'free market' also requires many things before it is truly 'free' (low barriers to entry, price discovery by all parties, minimal barriers preventing those who want to buy from buying, options if you choose not to buy, ability to build/match capacity) , and I'm not sure housing could ever meet all of the requirements. For housing, you essentially have no option to not participate in the market - ie you can't really live in a van down by the river, so making it a fully free market is not really possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance