Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:36 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Wow is the the relationship forum or the finance forum?

Flying saucer mom - why are you posting here? You are giving advice to garnage in which you clearly know little about.

1. I was a CNA from 17-20 years old
2. I was accepted into a nursing program already and know the requirements. I have completed every singlee pre requisite through BSN with the exception of microbiology, which was not a pre req. I took all the a&p 1 and 2, medical term, nutrition, math, etc. etc.

We aren't talking about that right now so what gives you the right to think you can even give your input when I am obviously 1000x more qualified to give input on the subject beings I have done all that. Thanks, but please butt out. It was just over 5 years ago but I'm sure the requirements haven't changed that tremendously.

Lowerexpectations - is this a math forum or why are you unable to perform simple subtraction? I hope you don't give financial advice on top of it.

My gf is 20 but turns 21 in 2 months. Meaning. She was just under 18.5 when we started dating. Big difference from 17, granted a 17 year old could probably figure that out as well.

I'm unsure what your big deterrent is against marriage and my situation other than the obvious fact you must struggle with your own relationship problems, or lack thereof.

Also, I'm not really holding her back from too much. I don't think anyone in her family has ever graduated from college, and I met about 60 of her family members last week. It's not really pressed with them. I only habe an associates degree which I just got last year. I was already making over 100k in my earky 20s prior to my associates. Education is not a "must" for everyone.

Either way, my relationship nor my gf is not the issie here. I make a ton of money to me so her income is no issue for me. Like I said, I literally had been on dates with hundreds of women prior to meeting her. I had a very large selection and the fact I've been happy with her so long obviously says a lot about her. When you are in your early 20s and sleeping with several women a week, sometimes a day, I can promise you that it typically gets one pretty effing awesome to change that

You were asking about savings plans and the best way to save is to make more namely if both parties in a relationship aren't working. Secondarily the biggest wreck to personal finance is usually a relationship fallout.

Also I don't need help with math as you said she was 20 and you had dated for 2.5 years so it would be highly likely that she was 17 when you two were together however her being 18 really has no impact to the point. The difference between 18.5 and 17 is not as big as you think and realistically is negligible.

If you aren't holding her back then a couple of other possible combinations are occurring. You aren't encouraging her, she isn't attempting to better herself or you are holding her back. Some or all of the above. She is a puppy following you around for the income/companionship. I'm glad you've slept with tons of women so that now you understand it all lol. Maybe it works out for you but there might be a reason a few others have jumped in with their 0.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 05:41 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,819 times
Quote:
Well if I die I have my company life insurance policy plus I took out an additional $100k life insurance policy that she will receive the majority of, even though she's "just my gf" I obviously think ahead to make sure she's provided for as I understand the sacrifice she makes.

As for disability, that's just a risk everyone takes.

As for job security, that's no issue. Ive received 3 or 4 offers in the last month all for over 100k per year and I haven't even apploed to anywhere for over a year. Those are just old head hunters. My current job is actually about a 50k/yr cut from my lastproject and I still do very well.

If the economy crashes.. well then eeveryone's screwed.

Sorry about your parents but that's life. Like I said no one in my gfs family has degrees so I doubt I was holding her back. If anything I'll be pushing her to do more.
so...I would say that Life Insurance with the the majority of $100k going to her is not near enough...especially when you could get a $1m for about $30/month...you could spring for that.

If I was your age, I would live like i made $50k a year and hoard the rest. Not just in a Roth but every investment vehicle I could find. I would pile dough into my girls account too.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
so...I would say that Life Insurance with the the majority of $100k going to her is not near enough...especially when you could get a $1m for about $30/month...you could spring for that.

If I was your age, I would live like i made $50k a year and hoard the rest. Not just in a Roth but every investment vehicle I could find. I would pile dough into my girls account too.

Yup he could sock 17500 into his 401k/Roth 401k, 5500 into an Ira/Roth and the same for the gf

46k saved a year in your 20s is a powerful starting point

Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You were asking about savings plans and the best way to save is to make more namely if both parties in a relationship aren't working. Secondarily the biggest wreck to personal finance is usually a relationship fallout.

Also I don't need help with math as you said she was 20 and you had dated for 2.5 years so it would be highly likely that she was 17 when you two were together however her being 18 really has no impact to the point. The difference between 18.5 and 17 is not as big as you think and realistically is negligible.

If you aren't holding her back then a couple of other possible combinations are occurring. You aren't encouraging her, she isn't attempting to better herself or you are holding her back. Some or all of the above. She is a puppy following you around for the income/companionship. I'm glad you've slept with tons of women so that now you understand it all lol. Maybe it works out for you but there might be a reason a few others have jumped in with their 0.02.
This thread was about a roth ira.. I didn't ask for opinions on my girlfriends amount she contributes.

Since money is clearly the most important thing in the world to you by your logic I should make the decision based on finances and just dump her and go back to one of the pharmacists I dated. Who cares about everything else, money is king, right?

Could be worse... she could have a kid, or multiple. . She could have debt, she has 0. She could make 50k a year but have 40k in student loans, 10k in credit card debt, and be upside down on her 30k car...

She is debt free, insanely cheap and low maintenance. She is amazingly crafty, can cook, sew and knit like no other, and she is the most amazing woman ive ever seen with kids considering she doesn't have any.. I can get over the fact she's only taking home $500/wk right now, considering when you look at the employment forum here and how many college grads can't find work and are in debt up to their ears.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Yup he could sock 17500 into his 401k/Roth 401k, 5500 into an Ira/Roth and the same for the gf

46k saved a year in your 20s is a powerful starting point
In the last 18 months ive paid off 25k in student loans, paid cash for a cheaper car, and saved about 22k more... I think im doing alright..right now my goal is debt free and buying a house so I can quit traveling so my girl can go back to school. Me taking a paycut for a permanent job will be worth it when she is making 50k-60k after a few yrs and we'll already be debt free by then.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
This thread was about a roth ira.. I didn't ask for opinions on my girlfriends amount she contributes.

Since money is clearly the most important thing in the world to you by your logic I should make the decision based on finances and just dump her and go back to one of the pharmacists I dated. Who cares about everything else, money is king, right?

Could be worse... she could have a kid, or multiple. . She could have debt, she has 0. She could make 50k a year but have 40k in student loans, 10k in credit card debt, and be upside down on her 30k car...

She is debt free, insanely cheap and low maintenance. She is amazingly crafty, can cook, sew and knit like no other, and she is the most amazing woman ive ever seen with kids considering she doesn't have any.. I can get over the fact she's only taking home $500/wk right now, considering when you look at the employment forum here and how many college grads can't find work and are in debt up to their ears.

I never said money was the most important thing. It is important but so is personal growth and it's something you should be mindful of that you started dating a teenager when you were 24.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I never said money was the most important thing. It is important but so is personal growth and it's something you should be mindful of that you started dating a teenager when you were 24.
I was actually 23 but yeah.. my prior gfs before her were 29 and 26.. my gf is 1000x more mature in tons of ways.. of course, she won't be as grown up" as many people older, but for her age she is leaps and bounds ahead of many women I know much later.

Also, like I said, no one in her family went to college. No one was pushing her and she had no motivation. That's just how they grew up. She had a pretty rough childhood in many ways. She is FAR more comfortable and taken care of with me than she ever was. When we met she had no bedroom in a place with like 5 kids, and she slept on the couch in their living room and worked a crappy job.

Yes, it may take a bit and it's a bit of a "risk" on her part but I truly feel she is now and will be far better off with me than sje would've on her own. And obviously I feel much better off with her. Like i said, we have every intention of getting married soon. I feel if we were this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Quote:
Wow is the the relationship forum or the finance forum?

Flying saucer mom - why are you posting here? You are giving advice to garbage in which you clearly know little about.

1. I was a CNA from 17-20 years old
2. I was accepted into a nursing program already and know the requirements. I have completed every singlee pre requisite through BSN with the exception of microbiology, which was not a pre req. I took all the a&p 1 and 2, medical term, nutrition, math, etc. etc.

We aren't talking about that right now so what gives you the right to think you can even give your input when I am obviously 1000x more qualified to give input on the subject beings I have done all that. Thanks, but please butt out. It was just over 5 years ago but I'm sure the requirements haven't changed that tremendously.

Lowerexpectations - is this a math forum or why are you unable to perform simple subtraction? I hope you don't give financial advice on top of it.

My gf is 20 but turns 21 in 2 months. Meaning. She was just under 18.5 when we started dating. Big difference from 17, granted a 17 year old could probably figure that out as well.

I'm unsure what your big deterrent is against marriage and my situation other than the obvious fact you must struggle with your own relationship problems, or lack thereof.

Also, I'm not really holding her back from too much. I don't think anyone in her family has ever graduated from college, and I met about 60 of her family members last week. It's not really pressed with them. I only have an associates degree which I just got last year. I was already making over 100k in my earky 20s prior to my associates. Education is not a "must" for everyone.

Either way, my relationship nor my gf is not the issue here. I make a ton of money to me so her income is no issue for me. Like I said, I literally had been on dates with hundreds of women prior to meeting her. I had a very large selection and the fact I've been happy with her so long obviously says a lot about her. When you are in your early 20s and sleeping with several women a week, sometimes a day, I can promise you that it typically a pretty amazing woman to change that
I made an observation and I voiced a concern. Reasonable and mature individuals won't blow a gasket over it.

It's so great that you have this wealth of knowledge to help your girlfriend meet her academic goals. My husband, who earned his PhD years ago, was also understanding when I decided to become a nurse after having already gotten a BA from a high ranking state university. He took care of the kids when I became a CNA in 2011. He understood that I needed to attend all the science classes I was lacking in order to get into a nursing program; he'd juggle his multi-million dollar projects all day at work and then came home, make dinner and help the kids with their homework... while I was at Starbucks sipping lattes and memorizing human anatomy.... because of him, I did really, really well. He's a really awesome guy.

I'm sure you're going to be just as supportive of your girlfriend.

But enough about me and her. I really am going to leave this thread alone: You may think posting one's sexual history is remarkable and impressive, but not only do I think it's distasteful, but given the details, I think it's a better suited conversation to have with one's physician.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Well you butting into my relationship and basically insulted is not necessary or appreciated in this thread when no advice was sked for.

I mentioned my situation and everyone comes in making these stupid assumptions about my situation. I didn't explain everything about it because I wasn't asking for advice about my gf nor do I want any.

That's awesome you got a BA from a high ranking school. You must have been very successful and enjoyed the career opportunities to be going back to school and being a CNA several years later. I'm not really sure how that's something to brag about.. I mean, I feel more proud to be making about 150k with my associates in my mid 20's than I would be taking classes to change the elderly's diapers when I have a "BA from a high ranking school." To each their own.. I remember what it was like to take the CNA class.. back when I was in high school...

You make 90kish with the other being reimbursement or per diem. A large reason you get 60k is because of the crappy lifestyle it demands. Moving wherever you are told and living out of a fifth wheel. As you've pointed out if you took a fixed position you'd take a comp cut so I wouldn't be so proud of your 150 although there isn't anything wrong with it but there's a reason for it

Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,442,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
If I was your age, I would live like i made $50k a year and hoard the rest. Not just in a Roth but every investment vehicle I could find.
This.
Live below your means and save like crazy. Vanguard is a good place to start.

And no off-topic relationship unwanted and unneeded advice included
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance