Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 03:33 PM

23 posts, read 127,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
When I buy things online, I am always asked if my shipping address and billing address are the same. I have never had my purchased refused due to using a different address.
Maybe it's because I'm using a debit card and not a credit card, but a lot of my online purchases are declined if my checking account address and "Ship To" address are not identical. I've had it happen about 30 or 40 times in the past 8-9 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I order plenty online and the only place that has ever given be a problem with shipping vs billing addresses was att with iPhone purchased. They would only ship to the address on the att account. My amazon acct has 4-5 different shipping addresses
Amazon is one of the few online vendors that has never given me any problems when ordering online with "Ship To" and debit card addresses not matching. I'm assuming it's because they are so customer-centric and are willing to operate at a lower threshold for fraud than other online vendors.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn-Phyre-79 View Post
Amazon is one of the few online vendors that has never given me any problems when ordering online with "Ship To" and debit card addresses not matching. I'm assuming it's because they are so customer-centric and are willing to operate at a lower threshold for fraud than other online vendors.
Blue Nile has never given me a problem on five figure purchases either

Old 10-20-2014, 03:53 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
So, what are you going to do? Have you chosen a new bank?

If you are correct about their reason for closing your account, then you may have the same problem with your next bank. Have you considered opening a credit card to use when making online purchases?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
I can tell you never order stuff online that often.

Most online companies will NOT drop ship anywhere. In case you haven't noticed, there have been massive data breaches at companies like Target and Home Depot in recent years and online vendors have a very high suspicion for fraud. So my online orders often get rejected if the "Ship To" address doesn't match what's on file for my checking account address.

Thus, I frequently have to change my checking account address in order to get products shipped to me when using my PNC debit card.

Actually, every company I have ever ordered from will ship to an address that is not the billing address.
I have it done almost weekly and I ship to my Mother's home all the time as well.

Your bank cannot tell you that you cannot ship to a different address so there is something else going on.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
I just got a letter from PNC Bank saying they are closing my checking account in a couple weeks. They gave no explanation in the letter for this action, and when I called their "DRU - Detection and Resolution Unit" (dept. that handles fraud activity), the customer service rep. told me that this was a "corporate decision" and they are not required by law to give any explanation for their decision.

I opened this free checking account in Aug. 2010 and have had very few problems with it. I would estimate maybe 3 overdraws total in the past 4 years, and I always brought the account into the black within a day or two of the overdraw.

I will state that I traveled a lot in the past 8 months because of my business and have been making frequent address changes to this account (about once a month) to reflect whichever hotel I might be staying at because I order products online and need them shipped to my hotel address. I had to do this because the debit card associated with this checking account can only have one registered address on the account at any given time. I'm thinking these frequent address changes are what triggered the "DRU" to cancel my account because they assumed it was some kind of fraudulent activity, since most people probably don't change their address that often. I also never usually have more than $500 in the account at any given time, so it's not like the bank is making a lot of interest from my funds and probably looked at my account as easily expendable and not interested in having me as a customer since I wasn't making any money for them.

Anyone else have this happen to them at PNC Bank or any other bank? First time it's ever happened to me.
Banks don't want customers like you. You're using more of their resources than you're worth to them as a customer. Could be they are thinking some fraudulent reason but I bet the other stuff doesn't help.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
So, what are you going to do? Have you chosen a new bank?

If you are correct about their reason for closing your account, then you may have the same problem with your next bank. Have you considered opening a credit card to use when making online purchases?
Yes, it appears I will probably have to open a credit card. I haven't owned any credit cards since the 90's (got burned because of spend-happy habits in my 20's), but I think it's probably in my best interest to own 1 or 2 credit cards to avoid a lot of stupid rules that banks are imposing on their checking account customers.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Banks don't want customers like you. You're using more of their resources than you're worth to them as a customer. Could be they are thinking some fraudulent reason but I bet the other stuff doesn't help.
Why can't they at least act like decent human beings and state the official reason my account is being closed? It would help me avoid the same situation when I open a checking account at another bank. If it's the frequent address changes, then I will stop doing that. If it's because I maintained a low balance, then I will change that as well. All I want is an honest answer from them.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 PM

574 posts, read 696,796 times
Quote:
Why can't they at least act like decent human beings and state the official reason my account is being closed? It would help me avoid the same situation when I open a checking account at another bank. If it's the frequent address changes, then I will stop doing that. If it's because I maintained a low balance, then I will change that as well. All I want is an honest answer from them.
Because you might post the reason they gave you on social media. You might try to sue them. For both their brand and liability-wise, they're far safer not giving you a reason.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,802 times
It's also possible they're closing your account because they finally ran you through ChexSystems and see that you already defrauded one bank. But if you opened two new accounts in the past month, just switch to one of those. No problem.

"Yes, I know about "ChexSystems" but guess what? I just opened 2 new checking accounts in the past month with ZERO problems. So what's your answer to that, genius?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance