Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 PM

30,947 posts, read 37,156,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That's gets a but sticker and in an elective matching function. My company matches 2% nonelective and then 1 to 1 matching on top of that. The 2% fixed isn't enough to get them the safe harbor provision but I think it gets them close enough to where the participation with the matching gets enough people covered.
Yeeesh, you'd think they'd just do the 3% and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Interesting... even he says he has a rental house for income. I believe everyone should all take a couple of hours and read past the marketing of his blog. Like I did. I read a lot of sites like his and form opinions either which way or the other.

And no, I'll stand by my remark that he is not retired, as I define it (my best Bill Clinton).

And I read his blog a while back... found it maybe last year or early this year so no, I would not know about his "recent post", sorry. And no, I don't read his blog, but I did read it for a couple of hours because I was interested in his claim of "retirement". Like I said, I spent hours reading his blog/story... not that I spend hours reading his blog/story.... there is a difference.

But how many kids one has does not interest me... having one makes a difference IMO... having a kid costs money.

Much money as he is making now, he will really be able to have a comfortable retirement when his son gets out the house.
Ok, well you define retirement very narrowly. Most people who retire at 30 aren't going to sit in a rocking chair. Maybe financially independent is a better term, but whatever. You've made up your mind already even though your perceptions are off base. And he's talked about his kid since the inception of the blog...so you still didn't really read the blog to any degree of depth. It's obvious by the stuff you say.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:54 AM

795 posts, read 1,273,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Ok, well you define retirement very narrowly. Most people who retire at 30 aren't going to sit in a rocking chair. Maybe financially independent is a better term, but whatever. You've made up your mind already even though your perceptions are off base. And he's talked about his kid since the inception of the blog...so you still didn't really read the blog to any degree of depth. It's obvious by the stuff you say.
Like I said, I believe it is more of a "marketing" game vs. retirement and more of a "lifestyle change" than retirement. I would not even call it "financially independent"... if you have to work someplace or sit someplace and live a very frugal lifestyle, which is not for me (one wrong step and you are in financial trouble).

And considering I've "retired early" and have a lot of interest in the area, there is no doubt that I read his blog in detail as I have the other "retired early" blogs that I presented in this thread.... I have more links, but you can find those as well. Do I remember every little detail from every little person? No... I'd find it interesting that people would remember how many kids someone who runs a blog has.

If you actually follow this trend, you will notice there are trends... frugal living, rentals (or some other income), moving to cheaper places to live, etc, etc. Do they necessarily need the second income? Many times no... but many don't want to live that frugally. MM in particular created those crafty threads by necessity. And his lifestyle is fairly easy to mimic... but most don't want to give up their consumerism.

But say you leave the workforce early and decide to live that way... how much does one give up on further investing? Although, you can make it work with healthcare, current investments (living below thresholds, etc).

Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Like I said, I believe it is more of a "marketing" game
Ok, well your belief is BS and is not supported by what he says on his own blog. So I guess you're calling him a liar. I guess there's no way to prove that other than to audit all of his finances in person.

If you really read his blog in detail, you'd know he has a 1 kid.

I am done arguing.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 AM

26,224 posts, read 21,767,101 times
It's certainly possible that MMM is making up a lot of his story or stretching the truth. I've said it before and MMM's big fans get very defensive as though he was a good family member of theirs. He runs a blog, his advice can be helpful, it can be unrealistic, it could be mostly real or mostly fabricated but either way I don't understand the cult like following

Old 10-30-2014, 09:12 AM

5,279 posts, read 6,465,154 times
Quote:
it could be mostly real or mostly fabricated but either way I don't understand the cult like following
I personally think it comes from the fact that most of the retirement advice we're sold is either total BS, built on wishful fantasies, or arguing over minute details, and his is more over-arching.

Then there is a subset who find the endless consumerism that is basically forced upon Americans garbage as well, and are looking for a way out while not moving to the sticks.

Honestly though, the cult of Dave Ramsey is much stronger. I've never met anyone who mentioned MMM principles in real life.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 AM

26,224 posts, read 21,767,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I personally think it comes from the fact that most of the retirement advice we're sold is either total BS, built on wishful fantasies, or arguing over minute details, and his is more over-arching.

Then there is a subset who find the endless consumerism that is basically forced upon Americans garbage as well, and are looking for a way out while not moving to the sticks.

Honestly though, the cult of Dave Ramsey is much stronger. I've never met anyone who mentioned MMM principles in real life.

I agree on Ramsey although just like MMM they both have good advice

Old 12-31-2017, 09:34 PM

7,718 posts, read 4,696,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
I wish I could put $24K in my 401(k). Unfortunately I'm only 24 so my max for 2015 is $18K.
Young bloods...don't forget a brokerage account option. Yes, it's after tax, but liquidity is going to become important for you quickly. (House, Marriage, Kids, Grad School)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance