Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 PM

34 posts, read 39,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polski4u View Post
That being said, why don't more people leave the US to avoid enormous debts?
Because, believe it or not, most people prefer to be honorable and responsible.

That being said, it's the age of the internet and there are international agreements. You might not be chased down for loan debts, but you will be chased down for criminal charges and even child support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 07:32 PM

Also...if you'd mess up your life to that point here, odds are that you'll do the same thing somewhere else.

Also also...what about a job? If you work for peanuts at dime-a-dozen jobs, it's no big deal. But better-paying jobs require references. And from what friends have told me, a lot of foreign employers look into your references. Not to mention, job history. They may even do a background check.

Don't forget the wife and child(ren) you're leaving behind. Do you want your foreign boss googling your name to find an article on you, with a picture of your deserted family, describing how you fled the country to avoid your debts and responsibilities?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Women who were initially involved in the relationship emotionally do become gold diggers in marriage if they become mentally unstable and/or decide the relationship isn't worth it and they just want to cash their "winnings". You will see plenty of women who demand handsome spousal support, child support, and half of the stuff (even if they contributed nowhere near 50% of the monetary value of the assets). And don't even get me started on the attorney fees that you would rack up hiring a "competent lawyer". Even a "competent lawyer" can't jump over the law and will essentially function as a vacuum cleaner emptying out your wallet. Good to know
You sound like every divorced d-bag I know.

Alimony (rarely given) and child support are based on the earnings of the non-custodial parent. If you marry a woman and she becomes stay-at-home mom to your kids, she is at a financial disadvantage after the divorce. She has no recent work history, etc. In these cases, alimony can be awarded to support her. This alimony will be based on a percentage of the ex-husband's earnings.

Child support is also based on earnings. If you make next to nothing, it can be as low as $50 a month in some states. If you earn $300K, expect to pay $100K for three kids.

"But diapers don't cost that much!" That's not the point. The law says that the children must be raised in the fashion that they'd (presumably) be raised if they lived with you. It might hurt to see that much go out of your pocket, but it's fair.

All of this can be avoided. (1) Marry a woman you're compatible with who isn't likely to divorce you; someone who values family. (2) Marry a woman who works and who keeps working after marriage and kids. (3) Don't make babies you don't intend to support.

Seriously...the baby part. My friend dated a guy who complained constantly about paying child support to his ex, while saying he hated using condoms. STUPID. My friend was smart enough to dump him.

For every guy complaining about his alimony and child support, while his ex struggles to pay bills and raise kids, there's at least one kid growing up learning his dad is a d-bag. When dealing with the mother of your child, always be aware that your child is aware of how you treat her.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:22 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,706,495 times
Quote:
Why don't more people flee the country to avoid lawsuits and debt
Because they just declare bankruptcy or live in the shadows. I know someone who lost a judgment. He will be declaring bankruptcy. For now he lives in a cash world.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:40 PM

107 posts, read 267,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Your extensive knowledge of family law, as well as your obviously vast experience with interpersonal relationships, leaves us speechless.
Oh really? The family court system is an absolute train wreck. It should come as no surprise when fewer people are getting married. I am not the only one who has said the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofmoz View Post
That being said, it's the age of the internet and there are international agreements. You might not be chased down for loan debts, but you will be chased down for criminal charges and even child support.
Agreed, and that's why if you have that kind of attention you need to go into deep off the grid living or go to a country that doesn't care (no US extradition).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofmoz View Post
You sound like every divorced d-bag I know.

Alimony (rarely given) and child support are based on the earnings of the non-custodial parent. If you marry a woman and she becomes stay-at-home mom to your kids, she is at a financial disadvantage after the divorce. She has no recent work history, etc. In these cases, alimony can be awarded to support her. This alimony will be based on a percentage of the ex-husband's earnings.

Child support is also based on earnings. If you make next to nothing, it can be as low as $50 a month in some states. If you earn $300K, expect to pay $100K for three kids.

"But diapers don't cost that much!" That's not the point. The law says that the children must be raised in the fashion that they'd (presumably) be raised if they lived with you. It might hurt to see that much go out of your pocket, but it's fair.

All of this can be avoided. (1) Marry a woman you're compatible with who isn't likely to divorce you; someone who values family. (2) Marry a woman who works and who keeps working after marriage and kids. (3) Don't make babies you don't intend to support.

Seriously...the baby part. My friend dated a guy who complained constantly about paying child support to his ex, while saying he hated using condoms. STUPID. My friend was smart enough to dump him.

For every guy complaining about his alimony and child support, while his ex struggles to pay bills and raise kids, there's at least one kid growing up learning his dad is a d-bag. When dealing with the mother of your child, always be aware that your child is aware of how you treat her.
Lmfao, there is a name for a person who willingly gets raped by the system and it's called "Sucker". Alimony is not as rare as you may think. I know people personally who are paying it right now. If a woman becomes a stay at home mom, then she needs to understand what she is getting herself into and accept the negatives. If an accountant quits his job and starts working at mcdonalds, then he can't expect the same salary or work conditions. I think that when two people separate, they should be responsible for themselves. If that means that a former stay at home mom has to work 60 hours a week and move into Section 8 housing or a homeless shelter, then so be it. You prove my point exactly. The laws are unfair and biased. It is ridiculous to have child support go beyond the basic cost of living. Raised in the fashion they would be raised if they lived with you? No wonder there are so many guys out there saying screw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Because they just declare bankruptcy or live in the shadows. I know someone who lost a judgment. He will be declaring bankruptcy. For now he lives in a cash world.
Well said, that is another alternative to leaving the country, if you are not in really deep trouble.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:14 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,389,699 times
Then what? Screw it again in another country? Then what?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:25 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,389,699 times
Well, if someone has to prioritize, try to prioritize student loans, home loans and make the personal loan the least priority.

By the way, I was deliquented in one credit card bank in Singapore until I pay off the the negotiable amount only this year. I can actually pay it off earlier but I realized, I have already paid them 3X times of my principal debt (not including the charges).

To be honest, these banks charge you like crazy esp if you missed out payments. Once you become deliquent by no longer paying, bank will give up chasing you. Debt collector will buy out your account for a certain amount (usually in bargain price). Say if your account has an outstanding of $10,000 (inlcuding charges), debt collector will buy it for $5,000 but the debt collector will still chase you for $10,000, in that case, they will earn $5,000. So if that happens, prepare for harrasment and lawyer's letter etc...

Old 11-14-2014, 08:51 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,469,003 times
Quote:
Oh really? The family court system is an absolute train wreck. It should come as no surprise when fewer people are getting married. I am not the only one who has said the same thing.
The fact that you are trying to link the family court system as a primary cause of people delaying marriage leaves me scratching my head.

Quote:
If a woman becomes a stay at home mom, then she needs to understand what she is getting herself into and accept the negatives. ... I think that when two people separate, they should be responsible for themselves. If that means that a former stay at home mom has to work 60 hours a week and move into Section 8 housing or a homeless shelter, then so be it. You prove my point exactly. The laws are unfair and biased. It is ridiculous to have child support go beyond the basic cost of living. Raised in the fashion they would be raised if they lived with you? No wonder there are so many guys out there saying screw it.
Wow. All I can really say to this paragraph of ridiculousness is:

Old 11-15-2014, 12:07 PM

107 posts, read 267,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
The fact that you are trying to link the family court system as a primary cause of people delaying marriage leaves me scratching my head.

Wow. All I can really say to this paragraph of ridiculousness is:
The family court system is by no means the ONLY reason marriage is declining. However, it is certainly a factor. Other factors include a decline in organized religion, bad economy, prolonged educational requirements and cultural shifts away from traditional values.

There is nothing ridiculous about what I said. When two people split up, they should be 100% responsible for themselves. Both sides need to realize that they are responsible for themselves and not to expect welfare payments from the other, richer spouse. An attorney can't expect to make $300/hour if he quits his current job and goes to work at mcdonalds.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,469,003 times
Quote:
The family court system is by no means the ONLY reason marriage is declining. However, it is certainly a factor. Other factors include a decline in organized religion, bad economy, prolonged educational requirements and cultural shifts away from traditional values.
Yes, all the other things you just mentioned are indeed significant factors. The "family court system" is not significant.

Quote:
There is nothing ridiculous about what I said.
Yes, yes there is. It sounds like it's written by a very selfish person with a very superficial understanding of family economics.

Quote:
When two people split up, they should be 100% responsible for themselves. Both sides need to realize that they are responsible for themselves and not to expect welfare payments from the other, richer spouse. An attorney can't expect to make $300/hour if he quits his current job and goes to work at mcdonalds.
False analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance