Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,984,292 times

Advertisements

I want 10 million and I'm mid40s.

Assume I get house paid off where I want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 PM

10,837 posts, read 14,966,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I am reading all your posts and it scares me.
I am almost 50.
And I have no savings. Due to single parenting, taxes up the ying yang, student loans.
Not due to frivilous spending at all. I am also not smart in this area.
I have some 401 and 2 other retirements I am putting into.
But not much.
I have worked since the day I was 14 years old.
I do not count on Social Security being there for me.
I believe the only thing that you can truly count on is social security being there.

At least for the next 30 to 40 years.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:42 AM

107,112 posts, read 109,424,019 times
to some extent we are all subject to the sequence risk of the market gods.

i had mentioned in another thread that two people can behave exactly the same , meaning same starting amounts ,same exact investments,same savings rate and just start 1 year apart with the exact same average return and have have totally different balances by retirement.

in monte carlo studies the order of gains and losses left 2 hypothetical investors behaving identically with same average returns only starting 1 year apart with vastly different balances .

one had 17x their salary saved and the other 27x salary saved. imagine ,identical behavior ,identical returns can end up so far apart..

that shows you how hard it is to project based on using market averages .

don't forget a 40% drop at the end on a substaintial portfolio is very different than a 40% drop in the beginning and having the same average return applied.

a 40% drop on my portfolio now would likely wipe out the first 20-25 years gains

Old 12-31-2014, 02:42 AM

146 posts, read 324,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You can make 75k a year net working as a part time Juco teacher? Are junior colleges paying that much?
My or should have been an "and." Just realized...

Old 12-31-2014, 03:00 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,943,887 times
$5 million. I'm 60 and about halfway there, so I'd better keep working.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,800,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
You need 42k to live off of after medical expenses, property taxes, and assuming your house is paid off (what was assumed by the OP's directive? Holy!! That's a lot of food, vacations, car payments, and toys. If that's what it's for, great. Have fun. But if it's what you need to just "live" then living is very different between me and you.
You right we probably could live off less, but our income is almost 150k a year now, 42k doesn't seem like a lot to me. If we downsized we could get by on much less.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,547,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but remember , as long as everything is not a need our spending patterns change big time as we age. by mid 70's spending takes a dive and stays down until mid 80's when healthcare costs ,gifting and charity kicks up.

that spending reduction offsets more than the price increases generally on the stuff we still do and buy.

that factor has a huge difference in inflation adjusting needed through our older years and hense the amounts we need.

of course if you have no descretionary income because everything is a need there is nothing to cut out as you age .
Well that's a good thing in your 70's!!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,547,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
to some extent we are all subject to the sequence risk of the market gods.

i had mentioned in another thread that two people can behave exactly the same , meaning same starting amounts ,same exact investments,same savings rate and just start 1 year apart with the exact same average return and have have totally different balances by retirement.

in monte carlo studies the order of gains and losses left 2 hypothetical investors behaving identically with same average returns only starting 1 year apart with vastly different balances .

one had 17x their salary saved and the other 27x salary saved. imagine ,identical behavior ,identical returns can end up so far apart..

that shows you how hard it is to project based on using market averages .

don't forget a 40% drop at the end on a substaintial portfolio is very different than a 40% drop in the beginning and having the same average return applied.

a 40% drop on my portfolio now would likely wipe out the first 20-25 years gains
why the difference starting one year apart? What causes that?

Old 12-31-2014, 02:22 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,664,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I am reading all your posts and it scares me.
I am almost 50.
And I have no savings. Due to single parenting, taxes up the ying yang, student loans.
Not due to frivilous spending at all. I am also not smart in this area.
I have some 401 and 2 other retirements I am putting into.
But not much.
I have worked since the day I was 14 years old.
I do not count on Social Security being there for me.

I am scared I will not be able to live off what I am able to put away now

I envy all you you have been able to do so
I know it was due to your hard work.

You still have 15 - 20 years to build yourself a nest egg. You can still build some financial security, and you absolutely should.

SS will be there for you. Worst case scenario is the trust fund goes bankrupt and payments will be made only from current payroll taxes; you will still receive about 70% of your benefits.

Trim your expenses wherever you can and put more away for yourself. Invest sensibly. Make a reasonable asset allocation plan, re-balance regularly, keep your costs low.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:14 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,913,746 times
I'm of the opinion there is no such thing as retirement. You just change what you do.

For example, most people consider me retired. From my perspective, I have 5 year, 1 year and quarterly goals that I work on. I get up early every morning and "work" (not in the usual sense) towards my objectives.

Having said that, I will say that working for a living is highly over-rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance