Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:27 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,812,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i have no idea what it is but wanted to warn you of money laundering scams.
i have received two "urgent" emails in the past week that state that a dead relative of mine (this dead person shares my last name) has died and left $15 billion dollars to no one and the scam fake attorney person wants me to share the money with them and wants my bank account info.

is there some kind of internet police i can report these criminals to?
Yes, the FBI! I've received some of these same scam-type money-laundrying emails... the FBI website has directions on how to report them... and so I did on some of them. What surprised me the most is that I got a reply back from them (FBI) within 24 hrs! So, they seem to be on top of their game there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:10 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,390,486 times
ha ha! i am going to Round Rock today to go shopping at IKEA and the outlet stores woohoo!! maybe i can pick pastor up on the way home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshil View Post
I think its a paranormal phenomenon and it could be that your Ex Husband's ghost is making all these calls. I live in Round Rock,Texas and know a local pastor who may bless your house and prevent any such incidents in future. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:12 AM

excellent resources. thanks. will try them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Hi bellestaroftexas, A couple of links that might help you solve your mystery...

One is whocalledus. All you need to do is type in the number of the company that called you... most times you will be able to find out the name of the company and what they do. I use it anytime I get a call that says "name unavailable"

The other is the Social Security Death Index... Just about everyone who has passed is listed there if they had a Social Security Number. (You can just type in his name, you don't need to know his number) You should be able to find out if he really has passed on.

Good Luck, and to echo everyone Else's advice... Don't tell 'em anything!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,141,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshil View Post
I think its a paranormal phenomenon and it could be that your Ex Husband's ghost is making all these calls. I live in Round Rock,Texas and know a local pastor who may bless your house and prevent any such incidents in future. Please let me know if I can be of any help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
ha ha! i am going to Round Rock today to go shopping at IKEA and the outlet stores woohoo!! maybe i can pick pastor up on the way home!
lol belles
I agree I think that was one of the funniest posts I have read in awhile.

p.s. can I go shopping with you I love IKEA and outlets we don't have IKEA here

Old 01-05-2008, 09:37 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,655,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
First of all, I am wondering HOW they found me.
There are many people locator sites on the Internet that will show all married names used and even room mates and some employers along with city and state where you live. For a fee, you can get addresses and phone numbers etc. I was able to find a long lost relative I had never met this way. The only money I had to pay was for an obituary that was archived. If it's a matter of public record, such as buying a house, you can be found fairly easy.

I would find out if your ex has passed away first. I would imagine it would be an attorney contacting you if it was to your benefit. Sounds like a scam of some sort. Curious or not, I'm not sure I would return that call. If you do, use a pay phone and never give your name etc. Just tell them you received a call regarding so and so and ask what it's all about. If they want more info, refuse and tell them you will hang up. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 PM

37 posts, read 440,580 times
You'd be amazed at what can be found on the net about people... dead or alive... especially TX and FL ... they're wide open. From wills of people who died not too long ago (complete wills to print!) to marriage certificates of people who are still alive... court records etc.etc... it's unbelievable what they (the counties) put out there for anyone to see.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:02 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,460,172 times
Check out Intelius People Search - Public Records, Background Checks & More and KnowX.com - Public Records Background Check Liens People Finder Judgments Assets Real Estate and see if your connected with this person in any way on these sites.

KnowX.com - Public Records Background Check Liens People Finder Judgments Assets Real Estate only has Florida and Texas last time I checked, maybe Nevada but I can't remember.

They show marriages and divorces.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:06 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,030,800 times
If the two of you shared joint accounts in the past and they are trying to collect from him (dead or alive) they probably just went back through his history to find links.

I get frequent calls looking for someone who lived at this address many years ago - it is a pain in the behind. I also got calls looking for the ex-girlfriend of a friend who stayed with me for a couple of months. I ALSO get calls about the neighbours. (What is it about the people around me? I am totally debt-free and always have been).

Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 PM

86 posts, read 414,159 times
Just a thought, if the phones calls continue, you may be able to configure your answering machine/voice mail to not accept any calls that do not show a caller ID. If it is a scam they won't want to leave their phone number, if it is a collection agency they will be easier to trace.

As others have said DO NOT return the calls. If it is about a 15 year old debt you may inadvertently get the clock running again. Since it seems to be about your ex husband's debts, it may be that he passed on and all the creditors are filing on his estate. Your name may have come up in the obit, so the creditors are giving you another shot just to see if you might bite.

If you keep getting harassed you may have to resort to legal help.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:33 PM

thats what i am thinking-returning the call would inadvertently get the clock running again. exactly. as much of a loser that he is, i am sure that if he passed away, he had incurred debts....just like he did when he was married to me.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by therrboomer View Post
Just a thought, if the phones calls continue, you may be able to configure your answering machine/voice mail to not accept any calls that do not show a caller ID. If it is a scam they won't want to leave their phone number, if it is a collection agency they will be easier to trace.

As others have said DO NOT return the calls. If it is about a 15 year old debt you may inadvertently get the clock running again. Since it seems to be about your ex husband's debts, it may be that he passed on and all the creditors are filing on his estate. Your name may have come up in the obit, so the creditors are giving you another shot just to see if you might bite.

If you keep getting harassed you may have to resort to legal help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance