Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:18 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,444,613 times

Advertisements

*Hopefully* my husband's disability will be coming through in the next month. We've got well over $100k in medical bills for him, as well as little piddly stuff we need to clean up. So, I had him go to the website to get his free credit report from the three agencies so we can start mapping out what needs to be paid first, etc.

Then I went there and started to fill it out to get mine too. Both of us can't get through it. It has questions that we can't answer or it tells us our answers are wrong.

For example, it asks what county the home we recently bought is in. It lists a county we lived at in Florida and a couple counties around us now, but the only other option was 'not listed'. We chose that one and it said our info doesn't match what they have in their records.

We tried to call the toll free numbers for each credit reporting bureau but just get recordings directing us back to the website.

Anyone have any idea what we can do now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,761,544 times
You're not the only one. I have a friend with a VERY distinctive name who tried a few days ago to get his report from them. They wanted to know information about a credit card he had cancelled over a decade ago, from a company that is no longer in business. Because he no longer has the card or any of the info regarding it, he can't get his report either.

It's bogus, especially considering that his name is so unique that I seriously doubt there's another one of him in the USA.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,917,545 times
The federal government has a credit reporting site that you can access annually. You can't get your credit score, but you can get your credit report from each of the three major credit rating companies. It's annualcreditreport.com.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The federal government has a credit reporting site that you can access annually. You can't get your credit score, but you can get your credit report from each of the three major credit rating companies. It's annualcreditreport.com.
Thank you DC, I'll go try that and see if its any better!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 AM

I started through it all over again and got the same message. However, with the site that DC recommended, it gives you a PDF page that you can print, fill out, and send in for any or all of your reports.

Here's the link to the PDF format. The address to send it is at the top of the page. THought this might come in handy for someone else.

https://fact.econsumer.equifax.com/f...ortRequest.pdf

Old 01-10-2008, 12:18 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,170,079 times
Be real careful and specific about the answers you pick. Even cents can throw it off - for example - is your mortgage and you get 4 answers - between 1800 and 1806, between 1807 and 1808.55, etc. This is mortgage only - don't include any escrow payments. Check for Street vs Avenue vs Lane, etc. Check any loans you may have had LONG ago - which bank was it with, etc.

Try it again. Maybe you missed a tiny thing that makes a difference????

I've done mine every year with this free report site and it works but some of the questions are so stupid.........

Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,139,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post

I've done mine every year with this free report site and it works but some of the questions are so stupid.........
no kidding vp
I remember once I was asked what county did you live in 1982
hell I lived in allentown pa I had no idea what county it was in

lol I sometimes can't remember what I did last month and they want me to remember 1982

Old 01-10-2008, 05:22 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,685,668 times
I just want to point out that ConsumerInfo.com and Freecreditreport.com are not affiliated with the annual free credit report program. Under a new Federal law, you have the right to receive a free copy of your credit report once every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies. To request your free annual report under that law, you must go to www.annualcreditreport.com. Freecreditreport asks that you subscribe to some of ConsumerInfo.com's services (such as credit monitoring and credit scores).

Old 10-17-2008, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,103 times
Default me too

i also have this problem, it doesnt work from either annualcreditreport.com or freecreditreport.com.

whats reallllly wierd though is the question asked about a mortgage several years ago. when i was only 15 or so.

i dont have, or have ever had a mortgage. so im sure they think im somebody else. why its connected to my ss# though has me worried. im gonna mail in the form but i just want to know if i should be worried about this or if its just a bug in the system.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Anyone have any idea what we can do now?
Yeah, don't ever go to freecreditreport.com again.

If you want a free copy of your credit report, go the legally sanctioned site as established by federal law:

annualcreditreport.com

If, by chance you still can't get it, you will need to photocopy your driver's license WITH THE CORRECT CURRENT STREET ADDRESS and also your social security card and send a letter to each of the three credit reporting agencies asking for a copy of your free annual credit report in accordance with FACTA.

If your license/ID does not show the correct address, you will have to get a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance