Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

I've researched extensively Nevada Corporations, Nevada & Delaware LLC's, FLP's, & Irrevocable Trusts for asset protection and here's what I've determined based on my readings: as a shield from frivolous lawsuits they are useless if one is trying to protect their personal assets w/o running a business out of them. More clearly, say I'm not interested in running a business; i just want to put my assets in a vehicle that will protect me from Joe Blow filing a lawsuit against me because he happens to need something to do that day. Having my assets in any of these (except irrevocable trusts) is pointless because as long as I have even the slightest control, (whether as limited or general partner) over the assets contained therein, I am vulnerable to the courts seizing the assets to pay a judgment if Joe Blow wins. The one exception is an irrevocable trust, but there I have to divest myself of all ownership of the assets. I cannot be trustee and I cannot be a beneficiary, so what's the point. Offshore trusts? Too risky and even they are not foolproof anymore. Has anyone discovered otherwise and would care to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 01:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Let's see. You have a homeowners and/or liability insurance policy that will cover the costs of defending you from lawsuits. You pay your bills and act like a respectable member of society. Why are you worried?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
thrillobyte wrote;
Quote:
as a shield from frivolous lawsuits
"Frivolous" lawsuits are non-existent! The whole "lawsuit" bogeyman was started by the Republican party in the '80s as a way to "defund" the Democrats, who do receive a big chunk of money from "plaintiff's attorneys". Of course the R party never mentioned that they are totally in the grip of the INSURANCE companies and bankers. Hint; if you EVER end up in court it will likely be as a PLAINTIFF trying to get your INSURANCE company to pay up as required in their contract.

To repeat what annerk said; go on with your life, don't be a jerk, don't drive drunk of crazily and CARRY INSURANCE.

golfgod

Old 05-07-2009, 02:53 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,231 times
NV Homestead Law
Umbrella Insurance

Old 05-07-2009, 05:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
An umbrella policy is a great idea if you have teens or young adult children on your auto insurance. Even if they are safe drivers, the lack of experience can lead to an accident which in this sue happy world could wipe you out in an instant.

We put an extra million in an umbrella policy when our child began to drive. It cost about $300 a year--cheap peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance