Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 06:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I don't know. Pizza is pretty hard to resist. And yes, I put plenty of it on my credit cards, because I am stupid. At least I'm here, hopefully others can learn from my cautionary tale.

I don't think I've ever eaten a casserole! lol.
That's terrible. Casseroles are the reason my parents ended up millionaires and why I'm not sitting around waiting for an inheritance.

1 can cheap chunk tuna in water
1 can generic cream of condensed mushroom soup
1 16 ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1 8 ounce bag of noodles.
4 oz potato chips
oregano
rosemary
salt

Kind of thaw the vegetables. Dump the tuna and water in a pot with the mushroom soup and vegetables. Add enough milk or water so that it is kind of liquid but not runny.

Boil the noodles and dump them into the pot too. Mush them together.

Season to taste with salt, oregano and rosemary.

Dump the mix into an oven-safe casserole dish.

Hammer the potato chips until they are crumbs and spread them on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

If you shop carefully, you can do the whole thing for around $3, and it will provide at least 4 meals for a hungry man. Just refrigerate and re-heat in the microwave.

I have no idea how many hundreds of these I have eaten in my life. Certainly it has left thousands of dollars in my pocket that I otherwise would have spent on more expensive and less healthful food. For variety I will make ham and cheese casseroles, creamed chicken casseroles, substitute steamed rice for noodles, etc. If you mess it up, just throw it out or feed it to the dog. You haven't lost much.

Speaking of the dog, table scraps (casserole that you are tired of) is cheaper than dog food, and the dog will love it. When I was a kid, we had a cocker spaniel that lived to be 21 years old. He never tasted factory dog food, just lived on table scraps. It's amazing how much people spend on pet food, often more than they spend on food for themselves. If you learn to cook, you can cook for your animals too. The idea that you have to spend money on special food for animals is just a fabrication of the advertisers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 07:55 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Unless you are given a house, renting is the default starting condition in this country.
Does not affect the argument one bit.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You get up there and replace it. Roofing is cheap. When you can't afford to hire work done, you do it yourself. It's called sweat equity.
If you don't know what you're doing, this can be very dangerous and if you don't get it done right could also affect the insurability and resale value of the house.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Dang! I'm paying $500 a month to rent a room and I'm getting no equity. How can I get some of that thar sweat equity?
You help them out with it and invest what you earn in the stock market. Sweat shareholder equity!

Old 02-22-2015, 09:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you don't know what you're doing, this can be very dangerous and if you don't get it done right could also affect the insurability and resale value of the house.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's terrible. Casseroles are the reason my parents ended up millionaires and why I'm not sitting around waiting for an inheritance.

I have no idea how many hundreds of these I have eaten in my life. Certainly it has left thousands of dollars in my pocket that I otherwise would have spent on more expensive and less healthful food. For variety I will make ham and cheese casseroles, creamed chicken casseroles, substitute steamed rice for noodles, etc. If you mess it up, just throw it out or feed it to the dog. You haven't lost much.

Speaking of the dog, table scraps (casserole that you are tired of) is cheaper than dog food, and the dog will love it. When I was a kid, we had a cocker spaniel that lived to be 21 years old. He never tasted factory dog food, just lived on table scraps. It's amazing how much people spend on pet food, often more than they spend on food for themselves. If you learn to cook, you can cook for your animals too. The idea that you have to spend money on special food for animals is just a fabrication of the advertisers.

There's a book there, perhaps you can write it and become a millionaire.

Not sure what casseroles have to do with waiting for an inheritance. Are casseroles a secret of longevity?

Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
This has been studied, for most workers it is better financially to spend more on housing in order to live closer to your job - housing costs do not fall with distance from job sufficiently to offset the higher commuting costs.
For me moving closer to work, if i was compring current market rate to current market rate is a 2x multiple in housing costs for an equivalent place. 3-4x morethan my current rent to today's market rate. Math doesn't work. Even factoring in my car costs.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:13 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Someone else said this, but everyone lives within their means, defined as follows:

Consumption =

Production - savings + net transfers (transfers from minus transfers to family, friends, government, charity) + credit defaults.

This is just arithmetic. There are no exceptions. You cannot spend more than you have. The credit default term in my equation allows for the fact that you might be able to force a transfer by borrowing money and not paying it back.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:44 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
My exwife and I divorced in large part to a disagreement on the concept of frugality and lifestyle sense of entitlement. She needed our combined income in order to finance a lifestyle befitting her idea of a college educated couple (the archetypical lifestyle aspiration of the median household that's too expensive for the actual median income household) while I insisted on living a lifestyle based on one income, treating much of the second one as savings for tomorrow.

All that said, I must say I empathize with much of the majority mentality that my exwife embodies as a demographic. The idea of sacrificing your youthful wants and discretions is not a endemically recoverable condition like many of the well off on here like to proffer. This is to say, I don't want to hang-glide over the hills of Rio at 75; I presume to do those things at 35. Therefore, there is a perishable, time sensitive nature to delayed gratification that might just prove insurmountable. Combine that with the fact our admitted inflation-driven lowering in purchasing power puts the median ever so closer to the cost of living line, and there really isn't much incentive to further undershoot one's discretionary expenditures for savings in infirmity.

So for a lot of people like my exwife, retirement will be a combination of luck in attempting to find a benefactor husband before her infirm days, and otherwise plainly accepting a social security retirement at that time. That choice allows her, in theory, to live as fully as she can TODAY, within her relative economic dispossession. I'm not saying it's smart math-wise, but there's something to be said about there being more to life than attaining a wad of money to cover subsistence in infirmity or insulting everybody by proffering ludicrous opportunity costs such as delaying proverbial hangliding over Rio until the age of 60. When you're pushed against the income level where sitting on your rear nets a similar subsistence line, you're gonna get forced to make either/or choices. For median income america, living for today and saving for tomorrow are mutually exclusive and whoever preaches different is simply well off. Not everybody can be well off, which is why I don't necessarily begrudge people who live for today.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:40 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Yep, I remember when I got my first new car years ago and got a 5 year loan to pay it off. Well, I was talking to this guy who's deceased and he asked me about my car being my first...
I'm sorry, but I can't get past the part where you're talking to a guy who's deceased.

I've got some things I'd like to tell my Mom, if you've got a hotline to heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance