Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,353,590 times

Advertisements

Even after losing an older brother they wrote this kid off. Wondering if this could possibly be true. But what would your advice be to him?

Addicting Info – Parents Ashamed Of Unemployed Son Give Him $250K To Move Out And Never Speak To Them Again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 03:52 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,519,911 times
My guess is that there is a lot more to this story from the parents pov. We have friends who have cut off their 35yr old son for excellent reasons but to read his Facebook posts you would think they are deranged lunatics.

As for the 250k I would stick it in a money market after pulling enough out to rent an apartment. Then I would get a job. Then I would consider either buying a house or investing a portion of the remaining money.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:56 PM

26,220 posts, read 21,754,021 times
Seems like an easy way to way to **** away 250k

Old 02-26-2015, 04:17 PM

34,238 posts, read 83,465,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
As for the 250k I would stick it in a money market after pulling enough out to rent an apartment.
Then I would get a job.

Then I would consider either buying a house or investing a portion of the remaining money.
But with thinking like this you'll NEVER get you're folks pizzed off enough to drop 250 large in your lap.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:07 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,801,011 times
I wish I could do this with my parents.

The jerks spend water like it's going out of style and are expecting me to find their retirement.

Of course I'm going to, but I don't think they are going to like it one bit (as they said so many years ago to me "my house, my rules.").

But seriously how can you make $100k a year and be so broke!?!?!? And how can you expect your kids to take care of you (when they have their own kids).

Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 AM

26,220 posts, read 21,754,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

The jerks spend water like it's going out of style and are expecting me to find their retirement.

Of course I'm going to, but I don't think they are going to like it one bit (as they said so many years ago to me "my house, my rules.").

But seriously how can you make $100k a year and be so broke!?!?!? And how can you expect your kids to take care of you (when they have their own kids).

You could do it to your parents and if they are reckless consider it

Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,715,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

Are we related?

If mom ever asks, I'm not giving her more than $100 a month and support to find social services. She can't live with me either. We don't really like each other anyway, but she might try to suck it up if her situation gets really dire.

Mom has hinted that she might not have enough to see her through the last 20-30+ years of life, but she'll never be able to justify having insufficient retirement funds when dad and her had a good solid 10 years of banking $500k a year (plus the years leading up to that stretch).

I don't know about you, but I've got my own family to worry about... a kid on the spectrum that is likely to struggle all his life... my priority is to make sure that he'll have something to fall on when we're not around. My mom is not entitled to anything. As she has told me time and time again "I've paid my dues". Yeah, well, the membership benefits have expired. Gooooooodd Luuuckkk!!!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 AM

15,124 posts, read 10,199,881 times
My personal opinion... $250k was too generous and to say "never come back or speak to them" is a bit harsh. Of course there is a lot of details missing from the story. It could very well be the parent's attempt at tough love.

Either way, this person has been "gifted" with an opportunity of a lifetime. No matter how bad or good his relationship with his parents, he should be thankful for that opportunity. It is an opportunity that can get him off the ground zero in life and accomplish something. It is also an opportunity to prove one's ability to screw up.

It is up to him...

Some people learn through struggle (I'm one of them). Struggling through college and later through unemployment on my own was a huge character development opportunity for me. I'm a better person because of that experience My parents always made it clear that they were there for me if things really got desperate.. and I do have a good relationship with them. However they drew the line at "supporting" me. Doing so would have denied me the real life learning experience.

I would take whatever job presents itself. Common!!!! he is educated with a college degree. It may be a low income job not related to his degree but he should suck it up. I would surmise if he did this earlier, his parents may have appreciated the effort. Then start focusing on educating himself on how to manage/grow that $250k. The ultimate goal would be to "repay" his parents.... that act may patch things up.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,546,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
My personal opinion... $250k was too generous and to say "never come back or speak to them" is a bit harsh. Of course there is a lot of details missing from the story. It could very well be the parent's attempt at tough love.

Either way, this person has been "gifted" with an opportunity of a lifetime. No matter how bad or good his relationship with his parents, he should be thankful for that opportunity. It is an opportunity that can get him off the ground zero in life and accomplish something. It is also an opportunity to prove one's ability to screw up.

It is up to him...

Some people learn through struggle (I'm one of them). Struggling through college and later through unemployment on my own was a huge character development opportunity for me. I'm a better person because of that experience My parents always made it clear that they were there for me if things really got desperate.. and I do have a good relationship with them. However they drew the line at "supporting" me. Doing so would have denied me the real life learning experience.

I would take whatever job presents itself. Common!!!! he is educated with a college degree. It may be a low income job not related to his degree but he should suck it up. I would surmise if he did this earlier, his parents may have appreciated the effort. Then start focusing on educating himself on how to manage/grow that $250k. The ultimate goal would be to "repay" his parents.... that act may patch things up.
True "tough love" would never include money, much less $250K

Old 02-28-2015, 11:00 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,752,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
We have friends who have cut off their 35yr old son for excellent reasons
35 excellent reasons! As if they needed to justify it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance