Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:14 PM

33,039 posts, read 36,638,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Overall, I think well matched couples have the advantage money-wise. The key is finding the right person to be a couple with. You have to look deep into character and shared values (especially financial values) to get the real two income advantage. Don't just go out there and find a fun person, a pretty face, someone who make $X a year, or whatever and marry... Because with the right person two incomes is far superior. But with the wrong person, two incomes isn't.

I wouldn't say I was jealous, although sometimes think it would be nice--basically the people who are saying your expenses don't double with two people are right for the various reasons they listed. And there is a better sense of security too. Right now, if get laid off... that's it. It's just me on my own. I saw that happen with my dad a lot and my mom was there, picking up the slack and working extra hours when he was between jobs. It's what got our family though tough times. Then when dad went back to work, the money came back and things got easier. But we were never desperate.

I've had a roommate now and then (rented a room in my house) and I can tell you first hand expenses didn't "double" at all as far as maintaining the house, buying food, etc. And I don't think couples have to give up a lot of freedom either. I suppose it depends on the couple--if you marry someone controlling and such, yeah, you lose freedom. So don't marry someone like that. Marry for the right reasons and the right person... marry a person with character, goals, values, and conviction similar to yours and not for superficial reasons like looks, money, status, or what you think they can give you and marriage will benefit you, not hinder you. I hope someone day to meet someone like that.
What you see isn't always what you get--or end up with. People change, and not always for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance