Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Well, not if you never had to use OD protection. I never knew OD was on the acct til I called the customer service rep. I just never needed to use it.
You have to opt in for OD. It's not something that is added automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 11:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
I am not passing judgment on anyone, only stating my experiences. I have never paid a fee to any bank and, if I'm unhappy with its service, I close my account.

I feel badly for people who can't keep enough money in their accounts to avoid fees, since it's usually not their fault, but there are often local banks and credit unions with no-fee checking. Look for them in your area.

The only reason I keep WF is because it's convenient. Frankly, I don't like big banks, but I also don't want to change my direct deposit accounts and there's usually a WF on every corner where I travel. When I first opened my checking account in FL it was when they offered $100 cash and a free safe deposit box. I think that was Wachovia and it was taken over by WF. The next year I opened up a small savings account with a minimum of $300 to avoid fees. Then I had to choose a service like bill-pay, a debit card or transfer $25 a month from checking to savings to avoid fees. Now I think I get enough direct deposits to waive fees, but if they start asking me to stand on my head and cluck like a chicken, I'll finally get fed up and change banks.

Being loyal doesn't count. You might get a bigger smile from a bank rep, but don't expect anything else. I've had a Citi card since the mid 1970s and I'm sure if I missed a payment or paid late, I'd be hit with the same penalties as someone who just opened her account.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:58 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But you did know you had overdraft protection!
From post #1...
The savings is linked as in you had to have another qualifying account to avoid fees on the checking account. I've had the savings since the mid-90s and did not have a checking at Wells until the eary 2000s. I used Schwab checking before that.

Anyway, wells was simply used for check cashing/deposits. Now that you (and potential ID thieves) can guestimate my age range from when I opened the acct. , I and maybe other middle-age Americans never accepted the mobile banking thing. I like and trust the hard copy uploaded into the ATM or with the teller. I guess this dog might have to step out of its wheelhouse.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Now that you (and potential ID thieves) can guestimate my age range from when I opened the acct.
20 year customer...
That put your age anywhere between 36 and 100 - of NO use to us or potential ID thieves.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:

ATM fee reimbursement including international and free bill pay are needed

For mobile check deposits that are $10,000 or more how is that handled?

I'm a little confused. I have WF and bill pay is 100% free. I don't pay a penny for using an ATM.

If you don't like a bank, why are you a customer? Do you live far from other banks?

Old 05-06-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
The savings is linked as in you had to have another qualifying account to avoid fees on the checking account. I've had the savings since the mid-90s and did not have a checking at Wells until the eary 2000s. I used Schwab checking before that.

Anyway, wells was simply used for check cashing/deposits. Now that you (and potential ID thieves) can guestimate my age range from when I opened the acct. , I and maybe other middle-age Americans never accepted the mobile banking thing. I like and trust the hard copy uploaded into the ATM or with the teller. I guess this dog might have to step out of its wheelhouse.
RE: 2000? It's 2015. Often banks send notices informing current account holders of changes to their accounts. I'm not defending WF, since IMO all large financial corporation are greedy & corrupt, but if you have accounts in a bank, you need to be aware of the fees. I mean, if you got stopped by a cop and didn't have insurance (if required in your state) would you complain that nobody told you?

BTW I think I have the same type of accounts. Read the requirements. Having a savings account is not the only requirement to avoid fees. I have a checking & savings account. There are minimum requirements and you need to meet 1 or 2 of them like a minimum balance, direct deposits or transferring $25 a month to savings. There are other choices like making 10 debit card purchases, but I never use my debit card to make purchases, only to withdraw or deposit money.

Oh, I'm 64 years old. I opened up my current checking and savings account in Florida. My name is Nancy.

I think you're being way too paranoid.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:32 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What a great idea. I'll just magically become eligible to join a different credit union. Thanks for the tip.
It's not magic, most CU's include living near them as eligible. Also employment, church memberships make you eligible for some CU's. Besides those obvious ones, MANY will allow you to join a group for a nominal fee (one time) and you are in. Two that pop into mind are Penfed and Alliant (Chicago) which probably has the best ACH service on the planet (get it in by 10:30 Central Time and its next day).

With the exception of Navy, you can usually find a way in with every CU.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:13 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
I don't need to join another CU. I get all of the banking services I need for free. If something changes, I will re-evaluate at that time.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I don't need to join another CU. I get all of the banking services I need for free. If something changes, I will re-evaluate at that time.
Sorry, when you said this:

Quote:
It all depends. My credit union wants a 3% fee to deposit coins into my savings account. My big bank does not. My big bank gives me free checks, free cashier checks, a free safe deposit box, free notary services, and foreign ATM fee reimbursement. My credit union does not.
It sounded like you were arguing banks versus credit unions. Several of us said you were comparing your sh*tty CU with normal banks. We offered that you might try a different CU. You said (wrongly) that you weren't eligible for any other CU. We countered that CU's are insanely easy to join. Now you are back to you don't need another institution.

This is why I'm getting away from internet forums. The debates always end with people wanting to prove they are right. No one wants to learn anything anymore.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:23 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post

It sounded like you were arguing banks versus credit unions.
Nope. You might have been arguing that, but she was saying her bank offers everything she needs, and that she does not need to research CUs.
I feel the same way about my bank as she does about hers!

And I cannot join other CUs in my area either ... they are for to employees and their families only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance