Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 PM

30,676 posts, read 18,301,918 times

Advertisements

I'm about to earn 50,000 American Express reward points as part of their $1,000 in 3 months promotional and am still deciding what to do (I probably won't use them right away and will continue to accumulate). There's the plane ticket (10,000 points = $100 for plane tickets, but I really don't have any need for that at the moment), car rental gift certificates (I can buy an Enterprise gift certificate for the same points/price breakdown, which could be of more immediate use if my family travels to the south this summer to see some relatives), hotel points (which are far less generous), and some other options.

I'm curious to know what anyone else has used/uses their Amex reward points for? Would appreciate any and all answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:38 PM

10,371 posts, read 8,011,837 times
Why do anything with them right now? Just hold onto them until you have a real use for them.

(I transfer mine to airline frequent flyer programs, but that's not the right choice for everybody.)

Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why do anything with them right now? Just hold onto them until you have a real use for them.

(I transfer mine to airline frequent flyer programs, but that's not the right choice for everybody.)
Thanks for answering! I do love to travel, but don't have any plans on the horizon. I'll likely hold and continue to build until I have a real need as you put it. I'm still interested in hearing what others are doing with them, though!

Old 05-17-2015, 08:17 PM

142 posts, read 179,291 times
I'm sitting on a decent pile of Membership Rewards points, hoping to use them for future Business class international flights. In the past, I've used them for Dell gift cards a few times ($350 off take a nice chunk out of the price of a PC or laptop) as well as restaurant gift cards. Since I have a corporate Platinum card, I usually wait until there are redemption discounts for gift cards or transferring into frequent flyer programs.

The worst redemption value seems to be hotel programs last I checked.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2015, 08:19 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,638,615 times
In your Amex rewards program do they have a cash value of 0.006 per point? That's roughly the rate I can redeem mine for

Old 05-17-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisereg View Post
I'm sitting on a decent pile of Membership Rewards points, hoping to use them for future Business class international flights. In the past, I've used them for Dell gift cards a few times ($350 off take a nice chunk out of the price of a PC or laptop) as well as restaurant gift cards. Since I have a corporate Platinum card, I usually wait until there are redemption discounts for gift cards or transferring into frequent flyer programs.

The worst redemption value seems to be hotel programs last I checked.

Good luck!
That's nice (I've always wanted to fly business/first class on an international flight!). The Dell/restaurant gift cards are also a good option.

Yes to the hotels being a poor redemption choice on the whole, although I saw on one site that one could redeem 50,000 points for quite a few nights (it was more than 20) at a Double Tree somewhere in China; it seems as if the hotel points have more bang for your buck on some international destinations/hotels.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
In your Amex rewards program do they have a cash value of 0.006 per point? That's roughly the rate I can redeem mine for
If its not that, its something close. That would be an option if I find myself in need of hard cash. It may make more sense for me to use for some gift cards that I could resale for more on eBay, etc. to end up with a slightly higher total.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,742,740 times
I typically use mine toward Amazon purchases, or around Christmas I'll turn them in for a gift card.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,942,453 times
If airline miles interest you then I would wait until one of the airlines you use offers a deal on transfer. For example, not so long ago, British Airways were offering 1.4 of their miles (Avios) for every Amex point.

I don't find booking flights directly with Amex points to be the best bang for the buck.

I have also used Amex for Amazon purchases. That works too.

Amex also have other offers .... check out the rewards web page to see what is available.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,078,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I typically use mine toward Amazon purchases, or around Christmas I'll turn them in for a gift card.
How do you find out how many points you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance