Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 PM

940 posts, read 974,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
As I have posted in other threads, Verizon is the only carrier that offers decent coverage where I live, and there is no way to get a data plan with Verizon for cheap. Sounds like the consensus is that I should keep maxing out my 401K and keep my dumb phones.
Define cheap and what zip code?

How much are you presently paying including taxes? Includes what? I can't imagine it will be breaking the bank. At the end of the day you're talking what, maybe $200/yr more. I dunno, seems a little 'woe is me' to me, complaining about $17k saved but moaning over a couple bucks a month extra? Jeez man get a grip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 06:28 PM

7,002 posts, read 7,097,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Get a second job and a smart phone
I have no interest in getting a second job and giving up the little free time that I have just to get a smart phone. I don't need or want a smart phone that badly.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:43 PM

7,002 posts, read 7,097,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
Define cheap and what zip code?

How much are you presently paying including taxes? Includes what? I can't imagine it will be breaking the bank. At the end of the day you're talking what, maybe $200/yr more. I dunno, seems a little 'woe is me' to me, complaining about $17k saved but moaning over a couple bucks a month extra? Jeez man get a grip!
I am currently paying $45 per month for 2 dumb phones ($20 for my dumb phone, $20 for my wife's dumb phone, and $5 for the plan), plus taxes and fees. Since you asked for including taxes, that is $56.98 per month. It includes just talk and text, no data. They do not allow you to have this plan with a smart phone.

If my wife and I upgraded to smart phones, Verizon would charge us $40 per smart phone, and the cheapest plan (500 MB) is $20. That would mean $100 per month plus taxes and fees ($40 for my smart phone, $40 for my wife's smart phone, and $20 for the plan). Getting a plan that would actually be useful would cost even more. And this doesn't even take into account the cost of the phone. Even with that 500 MB plan, that is more than double what I am paying, plus the cost of the phone, and I would need to reduce my 401K contribution in order to afford it.

Not sure why my zip code is relevant. But I live an in extremely high cost of living area, if that is why you are asking.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:31 PM

3,380 posts, read 9,246,039 times
Quote:
How does any of this help if Medicare no longer exists?
Then you will have piles of cash to pay for your own health care.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:32 PM

It would be cool if there was a tax free fund you could contribute to so you can pay for retirement healthcare. I guess that is an HSA. I wonder if you could start your own independent of your employment?

Old 06-21-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I am currently paying $45 per month for 2 dumb phones ($20 for my dumb phone, $20 for my wife's dumb phone, and $5 for the plan), plus taxes and fees. Since you asked for including taxes, that is $56.98 per month. It includes just talk and text, no data. They do not allow you to have this plan with a smart phone.

If my wife and I upgraded to smart phones, Verizon would charge us $40 per smart phone, and the cheapest plan (500 MB) is $20. That would mean $100 per month plus taxes and fees ($40 for my smart phone, $40 for my wife's smart phone, and $20 for the plan). Getting a plan that would actually be useful would cost even more. And this doesn't even take into account the cost of the phone. Even with that 500 MB plan, that is more than double what I am paying, plus the cost of the phone, and I would need to reduce my 401K contribution in order to afford it.

Not sure why my zip code is relevant. But I live an in extremely high cost of living area, if that is why you are asking.
Just saw a Sprint commercial....two lines 20gb of data for $100. That is a good deal.

How many months or years of reserve savings do you have?

Old 06-21-2015, 11:25 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,867,383 times
To reply to the OP:

At a minimum take advantage of the company match. I'm matched dollar for dollar up to 5% of my gross pay.

Would I love to put in more? Sure, but other bills unfortunately take precedence.

That may change when I get a raise.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:22 AM

30,991 posts, read 19,582,266 times
The no brainer part is you want to contribute whatever you need to get your company match. Above that if you are in a high income bracket, contribute heavily to lower tax but if you are already in a low income bracket, stop at company match would e my advice.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:51 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,249,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I've been lurking here long enough to know there is a group of people on here that claims it is normal to make $100k/year straight out of college and anything less is a failure. I've run across a few posts that claim everyone on their facebook make like $150k/year. Oh, and I'm guessing these same people wake up every morning to meet a whole row of servants.

Note that I'm not saying it's impossible to make $100k/year fresh out of college. I just doubt these people are so clueless as to think the rest of us lowly mortals made $100k/year fresh out of college as well or that all our friends on FB make at least 150k/year.
Since the median household income in the US hovers around $52-$55k/year and the average newly created job pays about $35-40k/year, I think that you're dead-on. Even in technology fields like engineering and IT, entry level salaries are well south of $100k; it's staff with experience and proven talent that make 6 figures, not newbies in their first professional jobs.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:12 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,249,191 times
Quote:
So, in other words, I should continue maxing out my 401K, and keep my dumb phone.
It doesn't have to be an either/or situation unless you make it so. Buy an iPhone4 or a previous generation Android without every bell and whistle, and then find a cheap service package. AT&T's "Go Phone" has plans for smart phones for as little as $40/month for talk/text/data. Verizon and Sprint have their own competitive plans. Contributing $100 less a month to your 401k when you're already putting away the max is not going to leave you broke 30 years down the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance