Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 04:07 PM

992 posts, read 1,023,445 times

Advertisements

Thanks low, like I said we are conservative with our money and prefer to have a large security blanket financially. My wife and I work in entirely different fields, and I account for roughly 80% of our income. My wife works part time so she can be home with our young daughter. If I were to lose my job, her income would not be enough to support us alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 04:22 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,863,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Thanks low, like I said we are conservative with our money and prefer to have a large security blanket financially. My wife and I work in entirely different fields, and I account for roughly 80% of our income. My wife works part time so she can be home with our young daughter. If I were to lose my job, her income would not be enough to support us alone.
I think keeping $100K entirely liquid is a bit of a waste. If it were me and I was spending $10K/month on bills, I would only keep around $60K actually liquid. The rest would be in some low risk ETF's or mutual funds. Items that could potentially earn me money, but if I REALLY needed it I could always pull it back out.

FWIW, I find it odd that you have $10K/month for expenses. Is your COL REALLY that high or are you including other unnecessary items as a part of your "living expenses". Things like Gym Memberships, Contributions to your daughters college fund, landscaping, etc should all not be considered as apart of your living expenses IMO. Those items can quickly be put on hold in the event of an "emergency".

Old 07-14-2015, 04:23 PM

846 posts, read 1,883,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

A CD ladder (of US bank...) is NOT going to yield 3% in today's market.
I think you can beat that .9% that you are getting.

CD Laddering Strategy: How To Build A CD Ladder | Ally Bank

Play with this calculator and see what you come up with.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:29 PM

992 posts, read 1,023,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I think keeping $100K entirely liquid is a bit of a waste. If it were me and I was spending $10K/month on bills, I would only keep around $60K actually liquid. The rest would be in some low risk ETF's or mutual funds. Items that could potentially earn me money, but if I REALLY needed it I could always pull it back out.

FWIW, I find it odd that you have $10K/month for expenses. Is your COL REALLY that high or are you including other unnecessary items as a part of your "living expenses". Things like Gym Memberships, Contributions to your daughters college fund, landscaping, etc should all not be considered as apart of your living expenses IMO. Those items can quickly be put on hold in the event of an "emergency".
Thanks ChiGuy. Yes, I am including in living expenses costs that are very much optional, like our monthly contributions to my daughter's college fund, cable and internet, babysitting, etc. If I lost my job I'd certainly be able to cut much of that out, but we still live in a very high cost of living area.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:58 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,662,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
I think you can beat that .9% that you are getting.

CD Laddering Strategy: How To Build A CD Ladder | Ally Bank

Play with this calculator and see what you come up with.
Ally's 5 year high yield cd is at 2% so how was your ladder going to yield 2.7% or more?

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 07-14-2015 at 05:18 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 05:03 PM

846 posts, read 1,883,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Ally's 5 year high yield cd is at 2% so how was your ladder ping to yield 2.7% or more?
You are correct...at this point it's not...but rates could change.

Sorry about stating 3x...my sincerest apologies.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:08 PM

10,377 posts, read 8,022,892 times
I'd keep $25K as cash, and put the rest into either a CD ladder or a short-term bond fund. Only the first 3 months or so of expenses needs to be IMMEDIATELY liquid; the rest can go into other vehicles that give a better yield while still offering reasonable protection of the principle.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:43 PM

6,784 posts, read 5,510,915 times
BD1978:

I would say KEEP your 1 year emergency fund, the idea that you have that much of a cushion is far better than just 3 months or 6 months {many find out the hard way}, so I commend you on keeping it. Smart couple!!

I would also say keep it SAFE and liquid...anything in the stock market/bond market may NOT be safe., the lower interest rate is the price you pay for both instant liquidity and security!

Shop around for banks/ CUs in your area that may pay higher on CDs, especially if laddered, but keep at least 3 months in total liquid, then keep CDs so you can cash in at the 3 month mark at any time.. A local bank in my area pays .40% up to 1.30% on laddered CDs of $5k each. they offer 1.5% on a checking account with high yield checking balance of $15k!!!

SHop around for Money market rates too, that same bank pays .12% on $100k or more...but the money market account may not pay more than a regular savings acct,,,,that same bank only pays .10% on $25K or more!

Well, best of luck in finding a better rate, but KEEP it LIQUID!!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:09 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,248,515 times
pay off student loan...meow!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:42 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 512,700 times
We have a similar size of cash pool but potentially for a house downpayment in two-three years. We moved our cash around between Ally and Optimizer just for a miserable difference of .2%.

However, I started arbitraging trades by investing in to-be-acquired co in April. Two trades so far and gained 3%. It is boring but I am surprised that the yield is that high.

Because my job is somehow related to the healthcare industry, this is the sector I invest in. I bought and sold CTRX for 2% and is now holding OCR (1.5%+). I find other trades with 4%+ diff but am not sure if the deal will run into antitrust issues. DOJ &FTC are pretty active now.

Last edited by fzx; 07-15-2015 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance