Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:06 AM

26,218 posts, read 21,735,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please be aware that your retirement is not guaranteed. I have had a couple of friends cash out (die) between 45 and 50 years old from heart failure. Several more are living with cancer. I suggest you work enough to cover current expenses, your kids college and possible business start up costs and worry less about your future.

I strongly suggest living now because the future is not guaranteed.

Why save for your kids college when they might not live that long? Or save to startup a business, those fail at an exponentially high rate ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 05:24 PM

3,553 posts, read 2,711,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as you said , all that counts is what my own spending does.

i will find out soon enough as i made it to the end . as of 4:30 pm tomorrow I AM RETIRED.

our initial budget is more than both our pay checks were combined .

Mathjak, congratulation on your retirement today. Welcome to the dark side.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,789,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as you said , all that counts is what my own spending does.

i will find out soon enough as i made it to the end . as of 4:30 pm tomorrow I AM RETIRED.

our initial budget is more than both our pay checks were combined .
Congrats!

Old 07-30-2015, 07:41 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,642,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Why save for your kids college when they might not live that long?
Time to raid the college funds! Those racing quad copters aren't going to buy themselves.

I'm just going to leave this for copy/paste purposes later...
Dear relationships forum, it looks like my wife is leaving me due to financial reasons. How can I make sure she doesn't go after the remaining college funds for our kids?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:54 AM

107,360 posts, read 109,759,614 times
thanks for the congrats. now that i am here myself i can say " you can't freakin ever save to much " i don't think anyone without a pension ever walked out of that last day of work and didn't think to themselves gee i wish i saved more .

Old 07-31-2015, 11:30 AM

286 posts, read 263,966 times
it depends upon your income and your out-go. If your current annual income is half a million, you could be saving 10% of after tax and you'd be really well off, eh? If your salary is 50k, gross, with 2 kids, you're starving, just to get ready for their college. and you'll probably have nothing at all for retirement. Maybe a paid for house (that you might well be unable to sell).

Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,591,210 times
I confess that I didn't read this entire thread. I vote for saving as much as you can. If you don't want your kids to inherit too much of your savings, give some of it to charity or put it in a trust for the grandchildren. It's your money; you can do whatever you want with it.

Life expectancy in my family is pretty high; I have an uncle who just turned 92. My dad died at 82, and he smoke and drank for most of his life. My grandmother died at 87 from lung cancer after smoking for over 50 years. I have to plan to live until at least 95. If I retire at 70, that means I'll possibly live another 25 years. Even $1 million doesn't seem like enough when you're looking at that kind of time. I'm scared that I'll eventually need long term care as well, but the cost of a long term care insurance policy? Forget it.

Mathjak107, congratulations on your retirement! I hope you can enjoy many years of leisure and happiness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance