Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Karla is correct, a BK will stay on your credit report up to 10 years but it can follow you for the rest of your life. If and when you apply for a mortgage, you will be asked if you ever filed for bankruptcy. Your answer will affect your ability to get a loan and your interest rate. It does not matter if the bankruptcy is no longer on your credit report, you still must disclose your bankruptcy. Don't make the decision to file bankruptcy lightly.
Incorrect, you will be asked if you filed for a bankruptcy in the last 10 years.. they can not, and do not ask if you EVER filed bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
My post said "up to" 10 years which would mean the same thing as the max.

I would be interested to hear how filing for bankruptcy will not impact your ability to get a mortgage in the future. That is a standard question on mortgage applications.
A mortgage company will ask if you've filed bankruptcy in the last 10 years, however I have seen people come out of bankruptcy and get mortgages the day after. A mortgage company is interested in your ability to repay, and since you have no debts after bankruptcy, and cant go bankrupt for another 7+ years, someone who files bankruptcy is a better credit risk then someone who has questionable credit.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:53 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
1. Get rid of the cards
2. Figure out a budget including a plan to make some more money or cut back on what you spend
3. Either get a private loan to consolidate or contact the companies personally to try to arrange a deal with them. You can do it on your own without going to an agency
4. Have a garage sale and get rid of the stuff you bought if it was tangible.
5. Put some money aside in case you have a problem so you don't have to use credit cards for car repair
6. Never use credit cards again

Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 AM

651 posts, read 1,416,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Incorrect, you will be asked if you filed for a bankruptcy in the last 10 years.. they can not, and do not ask if you EVER filed bankruptcy.
This is incorrect information. Google it.

Get your credit under control - Mar. 8, 1999

Old 01-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
A mortgage company will ask if you've filed bankruptcy in the last 10 years, however I have seen people come out of bankruptcy and get mortgages the day after. A mortgage company is interested in your ability to repay, and since you have no debts after bankruptcy, and cant go bankrupt for another 7+ years, someone who files bankruptcy is a better credit risk then someone who has questionable credit.
I never said a person would be unable to get a mortgage. I stated that it would impact your ability to get a mortgage and affect your interest rate.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
This is incorrect information. Google it.

Get your credit under control - Mar. 8, 1999
Over the last 8 years, the laws relating to credit histories have changed. The Fair Credit Reporting Act, the controlling law, changed in 2006 and 2007.

The other poster was correct.

And, like the other poster, I have seen a person get a new home loan, very shortly after the discharge of a BK, at market rate - not higher.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
I stated that it would impact your ability to get a mortgage and affect your interest rate.
I would change the word "would" to "may".

For it actually depends upon why a BK was file / discharged.

For instance, a job layoff, an accident, illness caused you to get behind. One went through BK because of involuntary issues. FHA loans for instance, look closely at the REASON for the BK.

I've had clients that the only debt discharged was IRS income tax and penalties. They re-affirmed their other debts. No penalty

If it was due to something outside of the debtors control - no penalty.

If it was something within the debtors control - then, there may be a penalty

Old 01-30-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I never said a person would be unable to get a mortgage. I stated that it would impact your ability to get a mortgage and affect your interest rate.
I never stated or even implied that you stated that a person would be unable to obtain a mortgage, I simply responded to your posting of

"I would be interested to hear how filing for bankruptcy will not impact your ability to get a mortgage in the future. That is a standard question on mortgage applications."

All I did was state examples on how filing bankruptcy can actually help individuals obtain a mortgage.

Home Loan after Bankruptcy – Is it Possible? | LoanHunt.com is another way of explaining it.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Over the last 8 years, the laws relating to credit histories have changed. The Fair Credit Reporting Act, the controlling law, changed in 2006 and 2007.

The other poster was correct.

And, like the other poster, I have seen a person get a new home loan, very shortly after the discharge of a BK, at market rate - not higher.
I attempted to look up the changes to the law that you mentioned and could not find anything stating that the question,"Have you ever filed for bankruptcy?" could not be asked on an application. I would be greatful if anybody would point me to some documentation verifying that. I was asked this question on my mortgage application, although I admit, I have not applied for a mortgage since 2003. If I'm wrong, then my statements obviously need to be corrected so other posters won't be confused.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I never stated or even implied that you stated that a person would be unable to obtain a mortgage, I simply responded to your posting of

"I would be interested to hear how filing for bankruptcy will not impact your ability to get a mortgage in the future. That is a standard question on mortgage applications."

All I did was state examples on how filing bankruptcy can actually help individuals obtain a mortgage.

Home Loan after Bankruptcy – Is it Possible? | LoanHunt.com is another way of explaining it.
I must apologize. Reading back over what I wrote, I came off as being a bit testy. I had raging headache and should not have been posting when I was grumpy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance