Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM

22,744 posts, read 47,986,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2005 View Post
Please use some punctuation to help get your thoughts out better. Thanks.
That WOULD be helpful... more helpful than giving advise to someone who posted 1 post over 4 years ago. I am sure their issue had been resolved! At the very least, they never came back....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,436,175 times
First whatever you do put those cards away.

Next, get your imagination going, imagine how good it will feel to be debt free. How good it will feel when you free up all that money that you are paying credit card companies each month.

How good it will feel to stop throwing your money away ->-> when you can muster up the courage to really take a look at how much interest you are paying each month ask yourself how much time do I have to work to just pay interest on those bills. Warning, it will hurt. (sorry did not mean to depress you BUT) maybe understanding this part will motivating to you when the going gets tough and it will be but when you are debt free you are truly free.

Been there done that and how good it feels to be out.

Its Ramon noodle, mac and cheese and toasted cheese time!

Start with the cc with the smallest balance and work on that first. (ps, maybe get another part time job, ear mark that paycheck for credit card pay off only). Once that is paid off, take a minute to feel how good it feels to get that out of the way and vow to NOT use it.

Ok, minute is up. Now take that payment and add it to the next cc payment plus the amount you are already paying. knock that one off. take a moment and feel proud.

Now you have 2 paid off cards and roll those payments onto the 3rd card PLUS what you are already paying on the 3rd card and get that paid.

and so on and so on.

Last edited by eRayP; 03-27-2012 at 03:00 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,436,175 times
One more thing that is so important to understand. At some point you might be tempted to consolidate all your credit card debt into one nice tidy consolidation loan. Don't UNLESS you are truly motivated to pay off the consolidation loan and NOT use your credit cards again.

This is exactly how allot of people get into more trouble. They consolidate their credit cards debt (freeing up the credit cards to $0.00 owed). The BIGEST mistake people make is to use the credit cards again. It starts with... I will charge it on my card "just this once". DON'T DO IT!!! You will end up in more of a financial nightmare than you started with. You see allot of people will do this and the next you they know is not only have the consolidation load, they are back to having credit card debt too.

put those cards away.

PS, along time ago when I was where you are now (too much debt for my comfort) and the fancy of the day was very low interest consolidation loans. There was a man on a forum who kept advising against consolidation. When asked why he explained as I did above. His words stuck with me and although I consolidated anyway I listened to him and NEVER touched the credit cards (not even once) I was determined because what he said make allot of sense. So to get a little misty on you lol, there is some stranger out there that I would love to thank for this excellent advise so I am passing it on :-)

I wish you the best and believe it or not, you will learn allot along the way. Its a good thing to know where you stand and do something about it.

Last edited by eRayP; 03-27-2012 at 02:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance