Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:30 PM

8,991 posts, read 21,217,900 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get to the point where I have six months' salary after taxes saved up. Right now, I'm about at five months. After cutting out unnecessary expenses, I could probably contribute my fair share to the household for almost a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 681,002 times
I did until I was off work, now I'm slowly building everything back up.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 PM

544 posts, read 1,060,354 times
Hmmm I just started my savings recently, so right now I have enough to cover me for about 3 months...if I eat potatoes and chicken every day. Luckily my son would love to eat mashed potatoes with every meal. Otherwise I'd say 2.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:59 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,759,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
Hmmm I just started my savings recently, so right now I have enough to cover me for about 3 months...if I eat potatoes and chicken every day. Luckily my son would love to eat mashed potatoes with every meal. Otherwise I'd say 2.
cutting down the quality of foods is the biggest misconception IMO on how to save each week on your grocery bill.

Taking the time to look in your sunday paper for coupons or dilligently looking in the weekly circulars for sales are extremely important. Also, buying store brand vs. name brands can save a bunch of money. Also, if you have a costco or sam's will definitely help in saving money over the long term.

It takes alot of work, but you can save a ton of money by being dilligent this way.

We eat quality foods everyday. Granted I could save a ton of money by eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday, but you get my point.

Its really about shopping smart.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,769,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
cutting down the quality of foods is the biggest misconception IMO on how to save each week on your grocery bill.

Taking the time to look in your sunday paper for coupons or dilligently looking in the weekly circulars for sales are extremely important. Also, buying store brand vs. name brands can save a bunch of money. Also, if you have a costco or sam's will definitely help in saving money over the long term.

It takes alot of work, but you can save a ton of money by being dilligent this way.

We eat quality foods everyday. Granted I could save a ton of money by eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday, but you get my point.

Its really about shopping smart.
That's quite true, but unfortunately with the prices of gasoline these days we also have to factor in whether driving farther to the store that has the prices we want is a better bargain than shopping close to home.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:25 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,759,549 times
Look at it this way...

Say your Costco is 20 miles away. If you shop there, you will be making LESS trips there than your local supermarket (because you will be buying things in bulk which would require less trips, hence less gas). The gas situation should be a wash unless your bj's, costco, sam's is say 100 miles away...

Its just not about distance A vs. distance B.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:57 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,769,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Look at it this way...

Say your Costco is 20 miles away. If you shop there, you will be making LESS trips there than your local supermarket (because you will be buying things in bulk which would require less trips, hence less gas). The gas situation should be a wash unless your bj's, costco, sam's is say 100 miles away...

Its just not about distance A vs. distance B.
Oh sure, I totally agree that this is the way to go for families. I'm single though, and my kids are grown. It's just my particular situation that makes Costco not be a bargain.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,410,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Oh sure, I totally agree that this is the way to go for families. I'm single though, and my kids are grown. It's just my particular situation that makes Costco not be a bargain.
I don't know - it's just me and my two year old but I shop at Sams a lot.

I don't buy much food from there because I don't have the room for it in my freezer or cabinets, but for other items I save tons. I buy a thing of Tide for $30 that lasts me 4 to 5 months versus the ones I used to buy from Wal--mart for $7 - $10 that would last about a month.

And with a two year old I wash a lot

I figured out it saves to buy in bulk things like soap, laundry detergent, pull-ups, toothpaste....my basic household stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance