Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:04 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,184,209 times

Advertisements

goominim
you can also do a search here many folks have asked similar questions, just be sure to weed out the "walk away don't pay" posts
Personally I would never pay someone money to teach me how to get out of debt.
They say "I was once broke but am now a millionaire" well yeah because you have people paying you big bucks at your seminars

as shenane suggested call to see about lowering your interest on the cards so more of your payment goes toward the balance.
If you are not comfortable with doing this you might have a friend or relative that enjoys doing this and you can both be on the phone once you give permission for the creditor to talk to them they can negotiate for you.
I have done this for many friends & relatives
Another option is one of the legitimate non-profit Credit Counseling services, keep in mind you will not be able to open any new credit while going through the program. The fees they charge are usually based on a sliding scale and are much much lower than the "seminars"

Have you trimmed back everything you can from your expenses and I mean everything most people don't realize how much stopping for a coffee or a drive through snack can add up.

Good luck to you, addressing the situation and wanting to find a solution is the first step to getting things in good shape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 11:16 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,737,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Have you trimmed back everything you can from your expenses and I mean everything most people don't realize how much stopping for a coffee or a drive through snack can add up.

Good luck to you, addressing the situation and wanting to find a solution is the first step to getting things in good shape
That is soo true Karla!! My wife and I used to stop almost every morning for coffee at Starbucks or Caribou. Most weeks we'd easily spend $40 just on coffee! We've both gone cold turkey and are saving money just in that area!

We're both being diligent about taking our lunches vs. eating out with the co-workers and spending $40 per week on that (combined total). Granted it's not every week, but it does add up. So here I sit with my 68 cent pot pie today. Granted not the most healthiest of options, but when the temps are well below zero, that in itself keeps you from eating out!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:44 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,096,645 times
I think the best way to get info is go to myFICO - FICO Credit Scores | Get a Free Credit Report Online, where they have all you ever wanted to know how your actions will affect your score. Get it from the horse's mouth. Because alot of it doesn't make sense...

Last edited by Hoosier; 02-06-2008 at 11:17 AM..

Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 AM

473 posts, read 1,740,064 times
I used InCharge and that was awesome. Got us ahead of the game and then we were able to refi the house to pay the rest down after a year. We pay a higher mtg now but NOT NEARLY has high as the cc payments combined. Our credit scores are also excellent now. You learn to live more obedient too.

L
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance