Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:54 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,602,775 times

Advertisements

We've had a tripling of the value of our home up until 2 years and we've given back 20 percent of that increase. Even if home prices in our area dropped by a third off the top, I would consider that a normal correction rather than deflation. We'll have had a 100 percent increase in 10 years which is nearly twice as much as the historical average of 4 percent a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 05:12 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,171,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Many bank checking and savings accounts pay .20 or less, which makes those 3.5 rates seem downright giddy.

Stocks are down.
Bonds are down.
Money market rates are down.
Savings rates are down.

There is virtually nowhere savers can stay ahead of inflation... and save for retirement. Exit social security, and that will be the definition of screwed.

or privatize it and the idiots will be screwed while intelligent responsible people
will benefit

Old 01-30-2008, 06:09 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,946,600 times
...or you can invest in gold. Does anyone here seriously do that? I'm thinking about it but I don't know where to begin.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,400,508 times
I have been invested in gold and mining stocks since 2004. I would suggest a gold mutual fund or ETF to get started, then later, if you wanted, you could build a basket of select stocks.

Gold has skyrocketed, but many believe it still has room to run. Gold and global currencies are a hedge against a declining dollar, so if you believe the dollar has a downside bias, they're worth a look. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:42 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,400,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
or privatize it and the idiots will be screwed while intelligent responsible people
will benefit
I'm totally with you on this!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,782,451 times
Inflation is over 10% This lowering of interest rates is the way they will destroy the last remaining middle class wealth. I yearn for the 80's double-digit interest rates!!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Interesting side effect of the Fed lowering the funds rate.

Did anyone else's savings rate drop? Just curious.

We are writing to inform you that based on the recent drop by the Federal Reserve, HSBC Direct has adjusted your Online Savings Account rate to 3.80% APY*. At 8x the national savings average**, you are still earning one of America’s highest savings rates.

HSBC Direct will continue to evaluate and respond to market changes so we can provide you with competitive rates. And if your rate changes, whether up or down, we are committed to always letting you know.

You can feel confident knowing your savings are with HSBC Direct. We’re part of HSBC Group, one of the largest financial institutions in the world, and have over 140 years of experience helping customers manage their savings.

We sincerely appreciate you saving with HSBC Direct.

It was 4.25....drat.
I'm still earning 4.29% through paypal.com money market funds.. and I can remove it any time I want..

Old 01-30-2008, 08:21 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,557,739 times
E*Trade is giving me 4.4% down from 5.05% last week, but with the increasing spread between my loans and savings there is less incentive to keep money in savings, and start paying down loans faster, admittedly I still need some just in case, but still.

Interestingly I have not seen student loan interest rates or car loan interest rates or personal loan interest rates drop. So they must be increasing their profit margins on these. I'm going to refinance my car loan with a credit union out East I have and account with if I can, the interest rate is only 3.75% there.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,430,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Inflation is over 10% This lowering of interest rates is the way they will destroy the last remaining middle class wealth. I yearn for the 80's double-digit interest rates!!
Double-digit interest rates would be awesome. Bring it on. Unfortunately there's an 86% chance that they are going to lower the intersst rate 50 basis points in March.(as of 5 minutes ago).

Screwed again. Why aren't the fixed income people up in arms?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,851,936 times
Ermm..just in case anyone has missed this...

As the Fed lowers interest rates...you make less money on your savings.

Which screws people who save...but really helps that housing market. I guess.

To save the housing market - I am now losing money.

Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance