Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:43 AM

712 posts, read 555,104 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired and living very frugally. A year ago we had no choice but to put on a new roof and no savings to pay for it out right. So we have a credit card, with a balance of $4000 that is no interest for a year and we are slowly paying it down. (not using it) It will not be paid off in April when the 12 months is up. I have been reading where people in order not to pay interest on credit cards balance transfer the balance to another card after the time is up. To me giving the credit card companies all the interest is just spinning your wheels and you get no where.

Now for my question. Years ago Chase sent us a Chase Slate card in my husband's name. We don't use it. However from all my searching this card it seems to be the ticket for zero percent interest for 15 month with a zero percent balance transfer.

Since the card we have is in my husband's name and I am an authorized user could I apply for a slate in my name? Our credit score is over 815 so getting a credit card wouldn't be difficult but can I get this one?

There is another one I saw that is 21 months with citybank. Does anyone know anything about this card?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 09:47 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Yes, you can apply for a Chase Slate in your own name. You also might consider calling them and asking if they will extend the no balance transfer fee offer to you. Even though it is supposed to be for new accounts only, since you have had the account for years but don't use it, they may be willing to waive the balance transfer fee. It doesn't hurt to ask.

The Citibank card is fine but does the offer include a balance transfer fee? Avoid paying those if at all possible.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes, you can apply for a Chase Slate in your own name. You also might consider calling them and asking if they will extend the no balance transfer fee offer to you. Even though it is supposed to be for new accounts only, since you have had the account for years but don't use it, they may be willing to waive the balance transfer fee. It doesn't hurt to ask.

The Citibank card is fine but does the offer include a balance transfer fee? Avoid paying those if at all possible.
Another good card is the Discover it card. Once you apply the card has unlimited balance transfers with no specific timelines for you to apply. Every month when I check my balance I have two offers. 0% for 12 months with 3% transfer fee or 4.99% for 18 months with no fee.

A person could apply for Chase slate and then transfer over to the Discover IT card and pay very little interest over a 3 year period.

Will Chase allow you to balance transfer from Chase to Chase? I wouldn't think so?

Old 11-01-2015, 10:37 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Another good card is the Discover it card. Once you apply the card has unlimited balance transfers with no specific timelines for you to apply. Every month when I check my balance I have two offers. 0% for 12 months with 3% transfer fee or 4.99% for 18 months with no fee.

A person could apply for Chase slate and then transfer over to the Discover IT card and pay very little interest over a 3 year period.

Will Chase allow you to balance transfer from Chase to Chase? I wouldn't think so?
No, they won't. But you could go from Chase to Discove and then back to Chase again.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Avoid paying those if at all possible.
Oh my goodness your not kidding. Originally in order to even get the money to pay the roofers I had to do a switcharoo. Cash advanced from Discover (heavens those fees ) then balanced transferred the amount to our new 5/3 card and another fee Ended up giving these cards at least $300 by the time I was finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post

Interesting about the Discover IT card. Will have to check that one too. The Chase slate we already have has never been used in the 6 years we have had it.

Also I am trying to get my adult children to listen to me about high interest rates on their credit cards. Totally stupid to be giving them all that money when it isn't necessary.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:50 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,342,677 times
Yes
You might have a problem with the credit limit. They will also want your income so include all.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Yes
You might have a problem with the credit limit. They will also want your income so include all.
Of course. Never had issues before since we have such a good credit score. I am not going to apply till April but just wanted some ideas.

Thanks

Old 11-02-2015, 01:04 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
So how many cards do you have already total. And what balances are on them?
How soon are you talking about paying off the 4K...is it worth it to go through all this if the balance will be paid off in 3 months?

You said you have a Discover card -- which is the card you got the advance on.
But then you also have a 5/3 card. that you transferred the balance to. What's that?
PLUS the Slate card in your husbands' name....(which you've never used in 6 years)
So...does this mean you have THREE cards. But only a balance on one, if so which one?

Also if you haven't used the Slate card is SIX years are you sure it's even still open, and activated?
Many, if not most card companies don't let cards stay completely dormant for that long.

1) decide whether you want to apply for a new cards, or just get the best deal you can with one of the other cards you already have:

-- You could see if a card you already have will waive a transfer fee, AND give you the zero % you want. But they may not do BOTH. Because quite frankly if they do that, what's in it for them. They see you never use the card. Yet you call and want no transfer fee and zero percent interest.

-- IF you apply for a new card, I've found that credit unions have some good deals.
-- as for Bank cards -- just go online and see who has the best offers.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
So how many cards do you have already total. And what balances are on them?
How soon are you talking about paying off the 4K...is it worth it to go through all this if the balance will be paid off in 3 months?

You said you have a Discover card -- which is the card you got the advance on.
But then you also have a 5/3 card. that you transferred the balance to. What's that?
PLUS the Slate card in your husbands' name....(which you've never used in 6 years)
So...does this mean you have THREE cards. But only a balance on one, if so which one?

Also if you haven't used the Slate card is SIX years are you sure it's even still open, and activated?
Many, if not most card companies don't let cards stay completely dormant for that long.

1) decide whether you want to apply for a new cards, or just get the best deal you can with one of the other cards you already have:

-- You could see if a card you already have will waive a transfer fee, AND give you the zero % you want. But they may not do BOTH. Because quite frankly if they do that, what's in it for them. They see you never use the card. Yet you call and want no transfer fee and zero percent interest.

-- IF you apply for a new card, I've found that credit unions have some good deals.
-- as for Bank cards -- just go online and see who has the best offers.
We have so many credit cards your head would spin, all with a zero balance except for the 5/3 card. Yes the Slate card is still activated and open. We have never closed any credit cards as I read that if you close them it effects your credit score. I called the Slate card number on the back when looking into a zero balance card and they said no. But it might be because we never use it. Didn't see any good deals on credit union cards as my Dad is huge on credit unions.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:15 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
We have so many credit cards your head would spin,
Then personally I wouldn't open another card just to get 0%, Id just get the best deal I could among the cards I already have.
But that's just me. Clearly, you don't have a problem with have a ridiculous number of cards, so go ahead and open another one, why don't you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance