Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 PM

797 posts, read 758,057 times

Advertisements

Your making 100k and your intelligence shows for it. You can manage youselves,your sister and husband cant like every other boon in the US. DO I feel bad about my family making their stupid decisions??No,no I dont.
What Lexus?Ill take it off your hands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,831,889 times
Common now it's not the worse, car payments, it's not like they declare bankruptcy . But I have a relative like that, I try to help but won't let it bothers me, which is key. Not everybody is sensible.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:40 AM

72 posts, read 294,897 times
I see bad decisions all over the place with friends and family. Some are understandable though not IMO advisable. Others are ludicrous. These days I usually don't comment unless directly asked.

My parents have made one bad financial decision after another for my entire life. Now don't get me wrong- they still own a home and have OK credit, so they could be doing a lot worse. But through a series of 'easy' short-term decisions (several of which I advised against back when I was younger and hadn't yet learned that unsolicited advice is a waste of effort), they've squandered what could have been a pretty comfortable retirement. Now they're living with the consequences, and their quality of life is lower for it.

But they still don't take money seriously.

I don't expect to inherit anything at this point (though it could've been six figures with proper management). I'll be happy if they just manage to keep their house and they don't have to move in with me.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:49 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,862,476 times
I see this little nugget got past everyone, so allow me to do the honors:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
With a family I support the idea of getting a safe new car. Putting kids in a 15 year old car is irresponsible, IMO.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:27 AM

72 posts, read 294,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I see this little nugget got past everyone, so allow me to do the honors:

First-world problems

Old 01-06-2016, 12:08 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,642,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskerbibel View Post
I see bad decisions all over the place with friends and family. Some are understandable though not IMO advisable. Others are ludicrous. These days I usually don't comment unless directly asked.

My parents have made one bad financial decision after another for my entire life. Now don't get me wrong- they still own a home and have OK credit, so they could be doing a lot worse. But through a series of 'easy' short-term decisions (several of which I advised against back when I was younger and hadn't yet learned that unsolicited advice is a waste of effort), they've squandered what could have been a pretty comfortable retirement. Now they're living with the consequences, and their quality of life is lower for it.

But they still don't take money seriously.

I don't expect to inherit anything at this point (though it could've been six figures with proper management). I'll be happy if they just manage to keep their house and they don't have to move in with me.
Finances is truly one of the "what you don't know CAN hurt you" scenarios.

It's really hard to butt out of people's lives when you genuinely care for them, and want them to have the best quality life possible. Like you said though, if they're not directly asking, they're not going to listen to your advice.

It's hard for me to hold my tongue around one friend that makes terrible decisions one after another, and having no difficulty justifying them. A short list includes:
  • In-laws give a house to him, he decides it's too far away from work so he rents to the first person that responds. No background check, no security deposit. This is a stripper by the way. She attempts renovations on the house, doesn't tell them about a burst pipe in the laundry room (soaking the main level, mildew stains through the walls). Stripper skips town 3 months later, 4 months behind on rent.
  • Lies to nutritionist to get authorization for lap band surgery. Gets surgery, drops from 450lbs to 230lbs. Doesn't change diet (pizza 5-6 nights a week, not exaggerating), back up to 375lbs today
  • Declares bankruptcy, loses rental house
  • Leaves a stable fortune 100 company for a fly-by-night shop, lateral pay, gets downsized a year later
  • Gets new job, immediately buys a $30k minivan (single income household, ~100k HHI)
  • Six months later, buys foreclosure. Turns out to be a gut job, also new roof/siding/etc. Got an FHA loan, put minimum down payment, took the full $35k reno budget, and renovations end up running $60k
A similar peer to him in age/experience/income did not make those same mistakes, and his net worth is $300k higher than the person above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance