Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 PM

908 posts, read 964,768 times

Advertisements

according to a mortgage calculator if i pay off my 30 year mortgage in 5 years, i'll save $200K in interest. i know a lot of ppl think due to low interest rates we shouldn't pay off mortgage early and rather invest that money, but it seems to me this might be a more stable investment than putting the extra money into stocks that may or may not be stable. any thoughts? my interest rate right now is 3.8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 11:22 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,444,060 times
it all depends on whether you think you'll make more than 3.8% annually over the next 30 years (or whatever time horizon you have left on your mortgage)...

Old 11-09-2015, 11:27 PM

908 posts, read 964,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
it all depends on whether you think you'll make more than 3.8% annually over the next 30 years (or whatever time horizon you have left on your mortgage)...
see, that's the part i feel is so uncertain. who knows? isn't the stock market pretty volatile?

Old 11-10-2015, 01:08 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,473,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
see, that's the part i feel is so uncertain. who knows? isn't the stock market pretty volatile?
Coming from someone that puts 80% of his disposable income in stocks and rents an apartment...there is no better feeling to me that owning your home. That alone opens up enough cash flow for most people to live comfortably and enjoy life. People will always say if you can make more than your interest rate investing elsewhere then you should. This is very true but by paying off your mortgage early you're paying yourself 3.8% interest guarenteed and you get that peace of mind. I say pay off your home and then in 5 years you can invest if you'd like with your extra cash flow.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:23 AM

30,914 posts, read 37,080,935 times
Quote:
Volatile doesn't mean low return. Stock market returns are typically higher over the long run precisely because it's volatile.

That said, if you can really pay it off quickly in 5 years, then it won't hurt you too badly.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:21 AM

659 posts, read 727,186 times
I paid off my mortgage, thankful to god for the opportunity to do so and the peace of mind is invaluable. Most investments are volatile anyways. It's all really depending on your age, jobs security and multi other factors. For me, while being young and have the opportunity to make much more money and throw them into investments, I paid off mortgage and continue to toss "most" of what I make into an investment account.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:41 AM

10,384 posts, read 8,043,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
It also depends on how likely you think it is that you'll need to access that money in the near term. Paying off the mortgage saves a ton of money down the road, but leaves you with less liquidity in the short term. You can withdraw money from the bank more easily and much more quickly than you can from your home.

That said, if you can pay off the mortgage that early while maintaining a reasonable amount of liquidity for emergencies, I'd say go for it.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:52 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,499,736 times
Being volatile and being risky are two different situations.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:01 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,314,207 times
Quote:
according to a mortgage calculator if i pay off my 30 year mortgage in 5 years, i'll save $200K in interest. i know a lot of ppl think due to low interest rates we shouldn't pay off mortgage early and rather invest that money, but it seems to me this might be a more stable investment than putting the extra money into stocks that may or may not be stable. any thoughts? my interest rate right now is 3.8
DO IT!
mine was 3.25% and i still did it.
Now, i have plenty of cash (without a mortgage) to invest in the stocks if i want to.....

You will NOT regret paying it off. I promise you that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
I paid off my mortgage, thankful to god for the opportunity to do so and the peace of mind is invaluable. Most investments are volatile anyways. It's all really depending on your age, jobs security and multi other factors. For me, while being young and have the opportunity to make much more money and throw them into investments, I paid off mortgage and continue to toss "most" of what I make into an investment account.
you lost me at '..thankful to god..."

Old 11-10-2015, 07:18 AM

26,204 posts, read 21,698,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
DO IT!
mine was 3.25% and i still did it.
Now, i have plenty of cash (without a mortgage) to invest in the stocks if i want to.....

You will NOT regret paying it off. I promise you that!
Don't forget the 20 threads you've started since you paid off your mortgage about going back into either mortgage debt or drawing on a heloc

Quote:
you lost me at '..thankful to god..."

Then it really didn't need a response from you did it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance