Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:27 AM

107,114 posts, read 109,424,019 times

Advertisements

you may want to double think that thought about using gold as an investment . historically you couldn't find anything worse

from 1913 TO 2015 inflation averaged 3.18%

from 1975 to 2015 it is 4.80%

in 1975 , 175 in gold which represents 1 ounce is worth 1065.00 today that is a 4.60% return cagr

a 175 in a t-bill rolled over is 1206.00 4.90%

in short term bonds 2151.00 6.40%

in a 60/40 mix 18,600.00 12.20%

a global portfolio 63,213.00 15.70%

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-29-2015 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 12:15 PM

393 posts, read 361,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpb2015 View Post
Hi,

I've decided to consult a financial advisor because I simply do not have the time to manage my finances. It's very hard for me to give up the control, but I have to imagine they can do a better job than me. At the bare minimum, I'll use them for a year to get a plan in order.

Can you please tell me if the following is normal:

1) He is a fee-only financial advisor that has been working in finance for 30 years. The fee is 1% of managed assets (he waived a lot of his normal "getting started" fees due to my income and potential for growth).

2) I have funds with Vanguard, Fidelity, and a few others - he requires that we "transfer" these funds over to Charles Schwab as a custodian (which he is in no way affiliated with). I put transfer in quotes because I'm confused with this point in particular. He made it seem like I could keep the original funds if that made sense (e.g. I could keep VFIAX from Vanguard).

3) I need to give him my username/password to manage my employers 401k.

Thanks!
Why are you paying a fee to anyone to keep funds that you already chose?
I would find one of those advisors that you meet with once or twice a year and pay an hourly fee, if you feel the need to have someone keep you on track.

A lot of 401k's have management services that are much lower than 1%. I think that is high, unless you have a lot of assets to manage and you are just basically giving someone else the management responsibility because you don't feel like doing it.

You can input the mutual fund ticker into Schwabs website and see if they hold it...they probably do.
also, they have managed portfolios for no fee, if you feel the need to go in that direction

Old 11-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpb2015 View Post
Thank you for the response. I appreciate you questioning my original premise. However...

Which low cost funds? Since I have funds in Vanguard, Fidelity, etc. should I consolidate them into a single fund? Is my 401k contribution appropriate? Should I increase it for tax implications? In general, how can I minimize taxes? How should I save for my kids college fund? I could keep going...

My point is, it's not as trivial you put it. Managing finances does take time.

You seem to be on the side that I should invest time into understanding finances. That's reasonable. Based on my laundry list of questions above, it would seem to me that I should sit down with someone, and get a plan in order. How would you recommended that I establish this basis?
Yes, it takes time but many of those questions that you have proposed can be answered by one of the financial calculators on bankrate.com or even your own 401k website.

If you want to see the effect on your paycheck from 401k contributions you can go to paycheck city and run a sample

Old 11-29-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
robo came to mind for me also. just put the money in betterment and relax. i dont know at what point those robo advisors make money. they charge such low fees, they will need much larger AUM to earn a decent amount.
They make money on the management fees on the ETF's, the spread and (Schwab in particular) on the cash portion of the account. The real truth is probably that people have been overpaying advisors for decades and the true cost of managing a portfolio is very, very low.

It is likely that you won't talk to a person more than once a quarter with a robo advisor, but I can tell you that you won't with a regular advisor either. They will always be out on sales calls trying to find someone with more money than you have to sign up. If you have substantial assets it might be different but accounts under $250k are generally unprofitable unless the person never calls into the office.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 PM

26,200 posts, read 21,690,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
They make money on the management fees on the ETF's, the spread and (Schwab in particular) on the cash portion of the account. The real truth is probably that people have been overpaying advisors for decades and the true cost of managing a portfolio is very, very low.

It is likely that you won't talk to a person more than once a quarter with a robo advisor, but I can tell you that you won't with a regular advisor either. They will always be out on sales calls trying to find someone with more money than you have to sign up. If you have substantial assets it might be different but accounts under $250k are generally unprofitable unless the person never calls into the office.

Well this is simply untrue but if you wish to simply make things up to try and make your point please go ahead

Old 11-29-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, it takes time but many of those questions that you have proposed can be answered by one of the financial calculators on bankrate.com or even your own 401k website.

If you want to see the effect on your paycheck from 401k contributions you can go to paycheck city and run a sample

Those online calculators don't really do anything in the form of coaching, providing discipline at all. I'm going to guess you've never actually worked with investors for any length of time have you?

Old 11-29-2015, 01:04 PM

32,723 posts, read 48,321,659 times
Shrug. Hope it works out for you, OP.

I've had very little exposure to financial advisers but my (limited) experience is that they are either idiots, or salesmen who are selling you investments that they make a commission on, or both idiots and salesmen.

Best luck to you, OP.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Shrug. Hope it works out for you, OP.

I've had very little exposure to financial advisers but my (limited) experience is that they are either idiots, or salesmen who are selling you investments that they make a commission on, or both idiots and salesmen.

Best luck to you, OP.

Since you already said your exposure was limited, how many advisors have you been exposed to?

Old 11-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well this is simply untrue but if you wish to simply make things up to try and make your point please go ahead
Sorry, been in the industry a long, long time and overwhelmingly this is true

Old 11-29-2015, 04:24 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,640,813 times
Quote:
Sorry, been in the industry a long, long time and overwhelmingly this is true
That $25,000 per year overhead per client must be a real killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance