Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,825,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Huh? Where is this outrage coming from?

If you live up to the agreement to write checks against a balance you have this is never an issue.

This is real simple... if you can find someone that lets you fail to live up to your contract and still do business without charging you for the impact, do business with them but they won't be in business long.

I am not a banker but simply don't understand how people think someone else should carry their problems for them.
Sometimes it amounts to a simple error in balancing your checkbook not a bunch of deadbeats trying to do check kiting
Unless you can afford a hefty daily balance most people keep their checking accounts light as they are not paying you any interest....

and yes what banks do if a batch of checks come through that will cause an overdraft they pay the largest letting the smaller checks bounce and then racking up a NSF for each one versus paying as many small amounts and reducing the nsf checks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,461,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Huh? Where is this outrage coming from?

If you live up to the agreement to write checks against a balance you have this is never an issue.

This is real simple... if you can find someone that lets you fail to live up to your contract and still do business without charging you for the impact, do business with them but they won't be in business long.

I am not a banker but simply don't understand how people think someone else should carry their problems for them.

Real simple for whom, exactly? Nice that you can put it in such easy terms, but have you EVER had to deal with a fraudulent NSF charge?

Give me a break. No one--especially not me, is saying anyone should carry my problems for me. I never said that. I'm talking about a tactic that is WELL known through the banking industry. It's theft, and it's fraud. It's pretty simple. Apparently you aren't familiar with the problem. Let me clarify:

You have $300 in the bank. You spend, with your debit card, $250 on 4 different bills. Now, you just checked your "real time" balance online, and you see that your available balance is $50 and that out of the 4 bills you paid, 2 are paid and two are "pending", but because your available balance reflects what you have, with all outstanding and pending transfers included, it makes sense that it is $50, correct?

Okay.

So now, you decide to fill your gas tank up. You know that you have $50. So you top it off at $40.

The next day, you find that all of the pending bills are paid, however, now, there's a $300 bill that was considered PAID IN FULL a week ago, and is now only showing up as pending, and you are now in the hole -$40. But then you see the NSF fee on that. Add on another $30.

Now, multiply that times 3 or 4 incidences per month, and maybe you can see where I am coming from.

This happened to us with Chase, and this is why we no longer pay anything online, or with a debit card, that we can't pay with a check. We also no longer bank with Chase. Funny how we haven't had that issue ever again with Amegy Bank, of course I told them all about what happened with Chase and they are well aware of their issues.

We are on a tight budget. We pay our bills on time, we do our part to ensure that we don't go over our budget. We're not asking anyone to carry our load--we are DEMANDING that they carry their own and not add any more to ours. I think that's pretty fair, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance