Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:27 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times

Advertisements

A hearty congratulations, OP! You beat me by two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 10:11 AM

294 posts, read 264,372 times
Congrats. What was your purchase price, mortgage terms, strategy and city?

Old 05-21-2016, 10:27 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ahh...now that I'm reading the rest of the thread...the lady doth protest too much (sorry, not trying to be academic). You keep denying the anxiety you repeatedly admit to. Either you can't stop crowing about your good fortune or you're trying to allay your own anxieties. And any time someone points it out, you can't help but try to persuade them otherwise. You're not comfortable...you've said it yourself.
You are perceptive: I have an anxiety disorder.

Last edited by flyingsaucermom; 05-21-2016 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
What do you find interesting? There isn't anything remarkable or interesting about it. I had a mortgage, now I don't. Now I have an extra $1200 in my account each month to do as I please.. in other words: options! That's the definition of flexibility!
Um, wouldn't you have had more than $1200 in your account had you not squandered it in a highly illiquid asset like real estate. And now if you would need that money the bank will charge you and arm and a leg to get your own money back.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:33 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
You guys are arguing with a stay at home housewife with little financial literacy that can't stop talking about themselves. Probably better to just let it go...

Old 05-21-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You guys are arguing with a stay at home housewife with little financial literacy that can't stop talking about themselves. Probably better to just let it go...
Oh OK, should have realized.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Um, wouldn't you have had more than $1200 in your account had you not squandered it in a highly illiquid asset like real estate. And now if you would need that money the bank will charge you and arm and a leg to get your own money back.
Well, aren't you late to the game.... the $1200 is the amount of EXTRA cash in my account (minus property taxes) each month that used to go towards the mortgage payment. I still have nearly $18k liquid.. enough to cover about 5 months of living expenses.

You know what I did wrong here? I got negative. If I had just said, "oh we are so awesome! I just paid off my mortgage too and I have a 5 month emergency fund left to boot.. we did it! Isn't it GREAT" instead of "That's great, but I hope you're not like me... I had all these little things freak me out and it's sooo scary having SO little money in my account".

Lesson learned: keep it positive!

Well here you go:

Congrats OP.. Doesn't it feel great to have paid off your mortgage! I did it too!

Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
-I have a job.
-I have enough financial literacy to manage my husband's 401k and our IRAs. Our portfolio is balanced and comparable to those that follow Boglehead principles.
-My husband was the one who wanted to pay off the house. He's very skeptical of investments outside of real estate... which goes back to why I'm managing our tax-sheltered accounts.

I would really like to let this go too.. if you stop talking about me then it will happen.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:38 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,454 times
Quote:
That is very rude. Many "stay at home housewives" manage their family's finances. Why would one's employment status affect their "financial literacy"? Some "stay at home housewives" have actual literacy, too. Which is apparently not required for obtaining employment outside of the home.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Well, aren't you late to the game.... the $1200 is the amount of EXTRA cash in my account (minus property taxes) each month that used to go towards the mortgage payment.
Um, the only reason you have $1200 EXTRA cash is because you put a large sum of CASH into your house. The EXTRA money is just the exact same money you don't have now. It's being dribbled back to you at a rate of $1200 a month (minus property taxes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance