Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:21 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times

Advertisements

I think an awful lot of Americans really have no active intention of living past 65. We still smoke cigarettes at about 18%, obesity and physical idleness are even more prevalent, and if our kids are doing well enough, parents think their job is done.

Ever talk to people about their estimated life span? (like in the online calculators)... Healthy, active people are quick to say "oh yeah, I'll go at about 87", unhealthy people don't want to think about it and of course they don't want to save for it.

And there's religion, "God shall provide" and "with the good Lord's grace, I'll live to see the Cubs win a world series."
These are cop-outs to personal responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 08:42 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Three bricklayers were asked what they were doing.

One said, "I am laying bricks".
The second said, "I am building a church".
The third said, "I am building a House of God".

Three workers. One had a "job; one had a "career"; one had a "calling".

Which one of those three you become is up to you. If Kat Cole can progress from Hooters waitress to executive vice president, and then on to become COO of Cinnabon, then maybe we all can do better. I expect that Kat never had a "job".
But the question is, what did the hundreds who worked for her at cinnabon have?

Old 06-03-2016, 09:01 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
I don't understand it. A recent report stated atleast half of the American population has less than $5000 saved by age 60. That's retarded. How can one spend 20 to 30 years working and have less than $5000 saved by age 60(the start of ones later years). Don't say IRS; they will work with you on tax issues so you can keep saving.

Even if you do no investing, Just putting $100 away under your bed each month for 15 years will net you $216,000 at year 16 so what's up with these people then that they have so little.
You'd have to earn 26% annually.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:03 AM

564 posts, read 873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Them saving more means less money for you and the rest of responsible individuals to have. Which means less economic activity, which could result in your and many more jobs and superior saving habits disappearing overnight. Then what would you say? Looking in my crystal ball - your job depends on irresponsible people buying stuff they dont need with money they dont have, so does mine. So irresponsible people allow us to be responsible, and it takes nothing for FEDs to generate credit fuel to keep both responsible and irresponsible folks busy making and buying crap, saving, borrowing, spending the last penny. Keeping people busy is the name of the game, it doesnt really matter how many zillions they must create to keep us stimulated to save or to spend, as long as we are all busy they'll spare no "credit" they pull from their arse.
Money that is saved goes into investments that can create jobs, that in turn results in more spending and savings. We don't need irresponsible people spending. We need balanced spending and savings.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:07 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Them saving more means less money for you and the rest of responsible individuals to have. Which means less economic activity, which could result in your and many more jobs and superior saving habits disappearing overnight. Then what would you say? Looking in my crystal ball - your job depends on irresponsible people buying stuff they dont need with money they dont have, so does mine. So irresponsible people allow us to be responsible, and it takes nothing for FEDs to generate credit fuel to keep both responsible and irresponsible folks busy making and buying crap, saving, borrowing, spending the last penny. Keeping people busy is the name of the game, it doesnt really matter how many zillions they must create to keep us stimulated to save or to spend, as long as we are all busy they'll spare no "credit" they pull from their arse.
Great point...but so what? People talk about their in-laws and their parents being spendthrifts - what are they doing to even get their own families to save? Right...nothing works. And no one wants the government to incentivize saving...too nanny-nation-ish. So....just take 'em out and shoot 'em when they try to get government assistance? Or start another thread on here?

Old 06-03-2016, 09:08 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You'd have to earn 26% annually.
I need a mattress like that!!!

OP must be using European math..

Old 06-03-2016, 09:18 AM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Metric system!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:20 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Spending problems/debt. Insufficient lifetime income. Job loss/illness/divorce. "Aging out" of the workforce.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:29 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I need a mattress like that!!!

Or the 15 years are 15 Martian years = 28.2 Earth years (getting your required return down closer to 10%, may be possible with 100% stocks) .

Old 06-03-2016, 09:52 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
It's funny now, but it won't be funny when your in your 60's and 70's.
I'm in my 60s, retired and have plenty of money. Relax, dude. It was a JOKE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance