Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 PM

26,203 posts, read 21,698,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Meh. Anyone who takes out a reverse mortgage is not bright. That is nothing more than the bank fleecing you.

That's a sweeping generalization and as is typcial is pretty ignorant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 10:45 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,665,882 times
Quote:
Meh. Anyone who takes out a reverse mortgage is not bright. That is nothing more than the bank fleecing you.
I don't think that is true at all. I think a RM can be a useful tool in some circumstances. I am certainly considering how I might use one to stretch my resources. I may never take one; it is too soon to tell.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,705,615 times
I was surprised he could take a Reverse Mortgage with an existing mortgage on the property.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I was surprised he could take a Reverse Mortgage with an existing mortgage on the property.
You can if you have enough equity. But you can't keep both mortgages; note that the proceeds mostly went to pay off the existing traditional mortgage. So he went from having a house payment due every month to not.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:23 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,384,312 times
My mother took out a reverse mortgage after my stepfather died and she was left trying to survive on $1200 a month. He only had a small life insurance policy and to keep this short I won't go in to all the reasons he didn't make sure she wouldn't have to go through all this.

She used the reverse mortgage to redo the pool thinking she would sell the house which she didn't do. If she just used the reverse mortgage to help her with her monthly expenses it might have lasted her till she passed (she's 81) but she didn't. A reverse mortgage might be a good option for people who know how to budget and who don't have heirs who "expect" to have the house willed to them.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:12 AM

8,127 posts, read 12,867,938 times
I do not like the idea of reverse mortgages.

In this case he had nothing to mortgage. All he did was replace his existing mortgage with the reverse mortgage which did NOTHING for him. I guess his reasoning might have been that with the reverse he could stay in a home he couldn't afford.

Best thing he could have done is sold the home; pay off the mortgage and find a home he could afford.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 AM

40,992 posts, read 49,371,551 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That's a sweeping generalization and as is typcial is pretty ignorant
In my RE Career, I have yet to talk to anyone who did not regret taking out a Reverse Mortgage.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:38 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,461,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In my RE Career, I have yet to talk to anyone who did not regret taking out a Reverse Mortgage.
Interesting....but are you sure there is no selection bias? Meaning that you'd only have reason to talk with those who are unhappy and those that it worked out well for you'd never hear from (or think to inquire if they'd had a reverse mortgage)?

Old 07-26-2016, 06:53 AM

18,567 posts, read 15,660,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

In this case he had nothing to mortgage. All he did was replace his existing mortgage with the reverse mortgage which did NOTHING for him. I guess his reasoning might have been that with the reverse he could stay in a home he couldn't afford.

Best thing he could have done is sold the home; pay off the mortgage and find a home he could afford.
Not true....it eliminated the P&I obligation. But in this case even the T and I part alone was apparently too much...

Old 07-26-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

Did nothing for him? He couldn't afford to make the payments, so the RM kept him in the home!

I agree that he should have just sold the home. And he still can do that, but now he also owes the RM fees and accrued interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance