Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 PM

789 posts, read 1,996,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The drunk leaves me complaining, not the niche. Although the niche does get me thinking about all the money I believe I SHOULD be making, which definitely leads to complaining.

It's like I have an illiquid $15K on my hands and in this house I can't get my hands on 1 percent of that cash.
1% of $15,000 is $150...which is likely not enough to help you with your business or any of your current situations.

It sounds like you have a dream. Most great businesses start with a dream. And a great idea. And a TON of hard work. And capital. Until you have everything you need to succeed, including the capital, you need to find a way to use the dream to motivate you instead of using it as a crutch to complain about the "what ifs". Do you know how most people start successful businesses? They keep their day jobs and work 40 hours a week for someone else, and then go home and work another 50 hours a week until they're making enough money at the business to warrant quitting their day job. It sounds like you quit your day job too soon, and just don't want to face facts.

You need to find a day job. Or 3. Work hard to pay off your debts and save some cash. Then work even harder to save some more cash and start capitalizing the business.

Be realistic. You're not going to get a job at a bank, financial institution, or anywhere that relies on a credit check as part of the hiring process. These employers are not singling you out personally. They're making sound business decisions based on the vast amount of substantive evidence that shows that people with bad credit are more likely to embezzle/steal. Live with it. Move on. Find a job(s) doing something else. Even if it means getting paid less than you think you deserve. Start with getting paid something regularly, and then quietly look for something else that pays more. Do this for at least 40 hours every week. And then go home (or do the library or Starbucks or McDonalds or the airport) and work another 40 or 50 hours on your business. Rinse and repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:10 AM

107,141 posts, read 109,499,736 times
over and over it has been demonstrated that who you are is reflected in how you are with your money.

many times ,not all , it is not the event that causes financial problems but years of bad financial choices and bad life decisions leading up to that event that finally does you in.

all of us at some point go through illness-job loss or divorce but not all of us emerge ruined.

to an employer he couldn't care less what your story is , just on to the next applicant who has no story to deal with in that regard.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-10-2015 at 03:54 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,543,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
over and over it has been demonstrated that who you are is reflected in how you are with your money.

many times ,not all , it is not the event that causes financial problems but years of bad financial choices and bad life decisions leading up to that event that finally does you in.

all of us at some point go through illness-job loss or divorce but not all of us emerge ruined.

to an employer he couldn't care less what your story is , just on to the next applicant who has no story to deal with in that regard.

So for years I handled my money satisfactorily, until an abrupt and extended loss of income did me in?

I spend $1200 a month consistently. As long as I have that much income, I pay my bills.

How does the way I handle my money today differ qualitatively from the way I handled it 5,10,15,or 20 years ago?

Old 06-11-2015, 12:27 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,786,933 times
Quote:
So for years I handled my money satisfactorily, until an abrupt and extended loss of income did me in?

I spend $1200 a month consistently. As long as I have that much income, I pay my bills.

How does the way I handle my money today differ qualitatively from the way I handled it 5,10,15,or 20 years ago?
Generally, it doesn't. Except when it does.

The difference now is that because you don't have enough money due to you're abrupt siutation, you're now considered more likely to steal(because theft is a real think and desperation is a large cause.)

Are you a thief? Maybe not... probably not even. But because of your situation, you fit the standard for people who are more likely to cause problems.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:

key word , " as long as you have that much income" .

that means your ability to pay and willingness to pay are a risk.

the question employers have is why are you in that financial shape while others who have dealt with worse are not ?

could be life long bad choices and poor decisions possibly leading up to the crushing blow.

could be mental issues and you show them through your hadling of your money.

could be honesty issues

the list goes on and on and on and none of it is portrays you in a favorable light to an outsider evaluating you on the fly.

look at the majority opinion of you we all have right here on city data. there is your answer. would any of us hire you ? no chance

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-11-2015 at 01:56 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 05:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,543,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
key word , " as long as you have that much income" .

that means your ability to pay and willingness to pay are a risk.

the question employers have is why are you in that financial shape while others who have dealt with worse are not ?

could be life long bad choices and poor decisions possibly leading up to the crushing blow.

could be mental issues and you show them through your hadling of your money.

could be honesty issues

the list goes on and on and on and none of it is portrays you in a favorable light to an outsider evaluating you on the fly.

look at the majority opinion of you we all have right here on city data. there is your answer. would any of us hire you ? no chance

How do people pay money they do not have? Are they Subsidy Kids? How can being bailed out by family (to pay debt) be a sign of good character?

Have conventional scoring models not failed lenders in the millions of cases where they have foreclosed on home loans? Those people qualified to borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars, yet defaulted. Why?

If I am a theft risk, why have I worked in a convenience store the past ten years without issue?

Am I a greater risk today than if I had walked away from my debts through BK over 10 years ago?

Why is )10 yr BK not a risk elevator while not-BK elevates risk indefinitely? Does that even make sense?

What if I ultimately resolve those debts? Am I still an elevated theft risk?

Old 06-11-2015, 03:23 PM

8,431 posts, read 4,605,178 times
All very interesting, but how has 'how things ought to be' worked out for you?

You aren't going to change the way things are. YOU need to change.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
How do people pay money they do not have? Are they Subsidy Kids? How can being bailed out by family (to pay debt) be a sign of good character?

Have conventional scoring models not failed lenders in the millions of cases where they have foreclosed on home loans? Those people qualified to borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars, yet defaulted. Why?

If I am a theft risk, why have I worked in a convenience store the past ten years without issue?

Am I a greater risk today than if I had walked away from my debts through BK over 10 years ago?

Why is )10 yr BK not a risk elevator while not-BK elevates risk indefinitely? Does that even make sense?

What if I ultimately resolve those debts? Am I still an elevated theft risk?

why are you asking what was already explained to you ?

it already was explained to you that you are in that group by association and whether you are a risk or not personally does not matter .

no one can tell the good from the bad in that low score group so it is just assumed "BAD " and you are discounted out.

it is like they say " the difference between a politician caught cheating on his wife and one who didn't is opportunity.

to that employer maybe you are only honest because the right opportunity has not presented it's self yet. but not their worry , they just bypass you and the low score stays your problem , not potentially theirs.

when it comes to judging you there is little to go by so all you have is your back ground check -credit score and drug testing for someone to gain initial insight.

they can think you were not proactive enough , made lots of poor choices in life early on by not making sure you had a job or jobs that let you build an emergency fund up that may have prevented that event from taking you down.
like they say in law whether you knew something or not does not matter . the assumption is you should know or should have known

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-12-2015 at 02:12 AM..

Old 06-12-2015, 02:27 AM

7,048 posts, read 4,942,863 times
Back in 2005 I was able to get a job at a bank (had previous banking experience) with a bankruptcy and a bad credit score. I had to take a drug test and I don't even know if they checked my credit. Today, there isn't a bat's chance in hell you can get a job for a bank, or a lot of other places either, without a perfect credit score. Even in jobs that require no money handling, a bad credit score can wreck your chances for a good job. I've seen many jobs state that you have to have good credit to be hired and not to apply if you don't.

And in Washington state, our brain dead governor is trying to make it easier for businesses to make credit checks on potential new hires, never mind the fact that so many people had money problems in the Great Recession. To me, if you are a governor, you should be making it easier to let people work, especially if your state has a large number of people on welfare and food stamps. But what do I know? I have too much common sense to be a governor, I guess.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:36 AM

there is logic behind discounting the money problems too in the great recession.

it is assumed companies never let their best of breed go no matter what. it is that 2nd and 3rd tier of employees that get let go .

even if a company goes under that best of breed employee will have a job from a competitor most of the time before their body hits the street.

i left a job in the middle of the downturn and that night my phone rang off the hook from competitors.

so if you have money issues from losing a job it is assumed you were not best of breed and that is why competitors didn't grab you.

i am not saying this is a good yardstick but in the employment world the assumption is you were without a job for a reason and then that fact was the root of the money issues .

or it was just bad choices on your behalf , you should have or could have worked a 2nd job to afford proper disability insurance , better health insurance , etc , while you could , if illness was the cause. .

whether the real facts or not does not matter , all that counts is the assumptions that in one shape or form it was your own lack of preperation for the problems of life since we all go through illness-job loss or divorce at some point. it is how you prepared or dealt with it that matters in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance