Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:08 PM

24,115 posts, read 12,846,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear23 View Post
I have this phone bill that I opened back in 2002, unfortuantly I had lost my job @ that time and could not pay. the agency had been trying to contact me for a while, but my number has changed numerously. They decided to put a judgement on the bill, but unfortunatly I had already moved to another state. What do I do???
For starters you should create your own thread about your question. People that may be able to help may overlook your question in this thread.

Were you ever served?

Which state did you live in and which state did you move to. Which state were you living in when they filed the suit and when was the suit filed and when was the judgment granted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,471,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
If ignoring them isn't working, consider writing a letter demanding the agency stop contacting you. Send it certified mail, return receipt requested. Federal law requires them to comply with your request. Make sure in the letter you specifically say that you aren't acknowledging you owe the debt.
This is the best advice.

If they call you, just tell them to stop harassing you and that you aren't acknowledging the debt.

And then hang up. Do not have conversations with them.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,991 times
Hi kate, I have this med bill from 2002 I disputed the bill back in 2006 and since the collection agency wanted to take me to court I made a payment but I still disputed the bill and I never hear back from them, now another agency is trying to collect on the bal of the bill. which statue of limitations they use since the original creditor is from PA and I now live in NJ. PA statue of limitation on med bills is 4 but NJ is 6, since my clock on the sol restated when I made the payment if they go by PA the SOL has past if they go by NJ in June will be 6 years.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:31 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,438,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Hi - I am having a problem finding out what the Statute of Limitations is for medical debt in NJ.

Here's the situation:

Last year I get a call from a collection agency saying I owe them $700 and that the bill was actually 7 years old! I had never heard of this before this call. The lady claimed I had moved, but I had been living in my new house for 3 years. I told her I need a copy of the bill so I can research it with the Insurance Co I had at the time. She told me to "go get my pretty pocketbook and give me your checking information" I immediately asked to speak with her supervisor who told me that it doesn't matter what she said - I have to give them this money. I explained that I am not giving them anything until I know this bill is mine.......they sent me a piece of paper with my name, an account # (their account #- not the hospitals), and the total amount due. I called and said I need a copy of the bill and the girl told me "thats not going to happen." So - I called and left messages for several different people at the hospital.......never haved received a phone call or letter or bill from them. Several months went by before I heard from them again. I finally have someone decent to speak with and she suggests I contact the insurance agency. Can't get anyone there to call me back either because no one knows what happens to bills that old. Especially since I no longer use that company. So now I get these calls I am ignoring or telling them - still looking in to it - every month. What should I do?

Statue of limitations in NJ is 6 years. You can tell them to stop calling you. Sign up fro credit Carma and see if there anything on your credit history.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 PM

213 posts, read 238,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Hi - I am having a problem finding out what the Statute of Limitations is for medical debt in NJ.

Here's the situation:

Last year I get a call from a collection agency saying I owe them $700 and that the bill was actually 7 years old! I had never heard of this before this call. The lady claimed I had moved, but I had been living in my new house for 3 years. I told her I need a copy of the bill so I can research it with the Insurance Co I had at the time. She told me to "go get my pretty pocketbook and give me your checking information" I immediately asked to speak with her supervisor who told me that it doesn't matter what she said - I have to give them this money. I explained that I am not giving them anything until I know this bill is mine.......they sent me a piece of paper with my name, an account # (their account #- not the hospitals), and the total amount due. I called and said I need a copy of the bill and the girl told me "thats not going to happen." So - I called and left messages for several different people at the hospital.......never haved received a phone call or letter or bill from them. Several months went by before I heard from them again. I finally have someone decent to speak with and she suggests I contact the insurance agency. Can't get anyone there to call me back either because no one knows what happens to bills that old. Especially since I no longer use that company. So now I get these calls I am ignoring or telling them - still looking in to it - every month. What should I do?
Just ignore them, if it's not on your credit report it basically does not exist especially 7 years later

Old 05-20-2015, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,002 times
Hi! I work for a collection agency. Specifically in client rep/insurance.
No, the providers do NOT have to submit to your insurance. Technically speaking, it is a courtesy. (I often argue this to help patients, so don't jump on me quite yet!) But legally, they don't HAVE to submit the bill to your insurance, generally speaking it's the insurance carriers job to do so unless the provider graciously does so. Second, I work for one of the most reputable collection agencies, the way you were treated is NOT right and a consumer should NEVER be spoken to like that, especially over a medical bill. There are laws. I would have gone directly back to the provider of services, if they could provide it and request documentation. Otherwise, send a debt validation request in. If they cannot validate your debt within 30 days they have to void it. Working at a collection agency you learn that unfortunately while there are those that honestly had no idea about a bill whether it be due to moving, lost mail, etc. there are MUCH more of the scammers. The ones who don't pay their bills and don't care, until it's on their credit then all of a sudden they raise holy hell. That however does not give them the right to be completely nasty with you, which I apologize for even if it was not our company! All collection calls should be handled with professional courtesy, AND RECORDED like we do..though it does get difficult when you're on the 80th person of the day screaming just because they don't want to pay their DED/Coins/Copay, etc. Nobody's insurance pays 100%. NOBODY'S.

I'm sorry that happened to you, that representative was incredibly rude and it should not have been tolerated. ESPECIALLY not from a supervisor. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be sure you do understand though... Providers ARE required to get ALL insurance/payor information before billing HOWEVER they are NOT required to bill your insurance. Again, this is a courtesy on their part and not all providers do this even if you provide primary, secondary AND tertiary. It is your job as the insured to follow up to make sure all of your claims are going swimmingly. They might even expect this after 7 years, wondering why you went to the doctor, dentist, etc. and didn't follow up to make sure everything went okay. So while some agencies do bully their consumers, not all consumers are innocent like yourself. You're a rare fish in a sea of giant monsters who want nothing but to have services provided and not pay for them.

As an insurance rep at a collection agency, I do my best to make sure patients are treated fairly by both their insurance companies AND providers. Again, I'm so so sorry you were spoken to like that! So rude.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,125,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejeppo1993 View Post
No, the providers do NOT have to submit to your insurance. Technically speaking, it is a courtesy. (I often argue this to help patients, so don't jump on me quite yet!) But legally, they don't HAVE to submit the bill to your insurance, generally speaking it's the insurance carriers job to do so unless the provider graciously does so. (
Not is not exactly correct. Many states have in their insurance regulations that a contracted provider MUST submit claim on behalf of the subscriber (patient) to the insurance company and can not demand any payment that was not a plan copay or calculated as subscriber estimate responsibility or actual subscriber responsibility based on the EOB. There are even some states that require those contract be on file as public records so that a subscriber can get a copy to hold the provider to the terms of that legally binding contract. Just because providers, billing department, and even collection agencies believe that payment is due at time of service or that submitting an insurance claim is a courtesy, doesn't make it so when state insurance regulations say otherwise.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:11 AM

24,115 posts, read 12,846,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejeppo1993 View Post
No, the providers do NOT have to submit to your insurance. Technically speaking, it is a courtesy. (I often argue this to help patients, so don't jump on me quite yet!)
No, it's not a courtesy
Not only do the insurance laws in each and every state require that a medical provider submit a correct and timely claim (or forever lose the right to collect should they fail to submit a [correct] claim after a certain period of time) there is also that little ole contract between the medical providers and the insurance companies that state the medical provider must submit a correct and timely claim.

Quote:
But legally, they don't HAVE to submit the bill to your insurance, generally speaking it's the insurance carriers job to do so unless the provider graciously does so.
Oh this is rich
According to you medical providers don't have to submit a claim to the insurance company, it's the insurance companies job to submit a claim to themselves in the providers name HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
They might even expect this after 7 years, wondering why you went to the doctor, dentist, etc. and didn't follow up to make sure everything went okay.
After 7 years it no longer matters because of SOL. You have heard of SOL haven't you? Or, do you just pretend it doesn't exist?
The SOL begins to run on the date of service. The SOL would fall under the UCC, which is 4 years, or, if the Open Statutes in the patients state is a shorter period then the patient can use the Open Statutes instead of the UCC.

That "courtesy" crap is just that--crap!! As far as you 'arguing this to help patients'--no, to 'help' them is not what you are doing, you are using that term to lie to them to try to get them to pay. For shame, but typical.

Are you unaware that you and your ilk can now be subjected to civil and criminal penalties under HIPAA laws, and various other laws, for any violations that you may commit while trying to collect on a medical debt?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:36 AM

6,887 posts, read 7,929,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therrboomer View Post
Since they wanted your checking account information right away be aware this may be a phishing attack.
Yes, I agree, I would NEVER give them this info. I think this is not a legit collection attempt. What proof to you have that it is? Someone calls you on the phone and demands you link them to your CHECKING ACCT?

Don't be fooled. If they call again, block their number.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:04 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,125,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
That "courtesy" crap is just that--crap!! As far as you 'arguing this to help patients'--no, to 'help' them is not what you are doing, you are using that term to lie to them to try to get them to pay. For shame, but typical.
Yeah, I almost spit up my coffee when I read that absolute bull. However, the fact that a person can say that and believe it shows they will be a successful debt collector. Not that they are collecting legal debts but they can scam a person out of their money through deceit.

Hummm, I see a lucrative career as the future Nawabi Swadibee, former wife of the Treasure of Ghanapanu now in exile in Nigeria looking to get someone to help them transfer $5,000,000 US dullurs to the American bank system.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance