Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 01:37 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,373,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Why would your grandparents 'take out a insurance policy on you'?
So....the insurance company would pay them in case you died?

that just sounds soo weird to me. or perhaps i'm not understanding it correctly.
I think it was to be used for final expenses in case I died as a kid. Aunt told me about it last night, I have no idea of the full details.

They all planned on keeping it a secret until I was ready to buy a house, but grandmother is paying taxes on it apparently and wants rid of it.

I've only been at my job for six weeks, and don't feel comfortable purchasing in this area period as if something happens to my current job, I'm likely going to have to move.

I'm planning on putting the money to the CC debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 02:53 PM

3,934 posts, read 6,849,735 times
Wow. There are so pretty extreme examples. My stupidest personal finance decision has to be the fact that I enjoy and continue to try and play Golf. I live and work in the city and if it weren't for golfing in the suburbs every weekend then I would never need a car. So factor in the gas, insurance, greens fees, and drinking associated with it and I would say I am certainly pretty dumb to keep playing. Worst thing about it is that I only shoot in the 90's.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:12 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,387,184 times
Expensive private preschool-elementary schools for my kids ($15k tuition per kid, per year). Expensive travel sports programs for my kids ($6k cost for 1 team). I can be financially stupid with my kids. I should have reminded myself - they do not need to be trained by Olympic coaches... They do not need pricey preschools to get a good education.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:03 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,255,087 times
What keeps me trying to stay on top of pf topics is the belief i haven't made my worst financial mistake yet.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:59 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
A small thing, but 25 years ago in graduate school my then hubby and I got our first unfurnished apartment and...got rent to own furniture!...OMG - that stuff was sooo cheaply made and we paid on it for a couple years - I don't even know how much all together. I actually still have the dining room table and chairs that I mainly use to throw the mail on. Got rid of the nightstands and cocktail table at a yard sale a few years ago...can't even remember where the rest of it went but it was not a smart move.

I maybe made up for it a bit later when we divorced and sold our first home - we managed to make $25k after owning it for only 5 years and I was smart enough to invest it all and it has grown nicely since then.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:15 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,384,589 times
I have always been pretty careful with money so the dumbest thing I have ever done was to buy expensive "figurine" collections -- Royal Doulton and LLadro. Probably spent several thousands on them and they are wrapped in newspaper in a basement box. I see them all the time in antique stores but nobody ever buys them. I used to have them sitting out collecting dust but don't care for clutter" anymore. Lesson learned. LESS STUFF!

Old 10-13-2016, 05:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Bought a car in 1999 for $25k.

Drove it till 2002.
Then had 2 cars so drove it occasionally till 2005.

Then had 3 cars and never drove it again.

Should have sold it then. Instead paid registration and insurance for all those years. Even put a grand's worth of new tires on it.

Sold it last week for $4.5k after it sat there for over 10 years. Got 29k mIles on it...shudder how much it costs me per mile to own it.

At least I got 2x blue book on it.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:19 AM

58 posts, read 57,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Bought a car in 1999 for $25k.

Drove it till 2002.
Then had 2 cars so drove it occasionally till 2005.

Then had 3 cars and never drove it again.

Should have sold it then. Instead paid registration and insurance for all those years. Even put a grand's worth of new tires on it.

Sold it last week for $4.5k after it sat there for over 10 years. Got 29k mIles on it...shudder how much it costs me per mile to own it.

At least I got 2x blue book on it.
What car was it?

Old 10-13-2016, 11:30 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,227,585 times
thanks for sharing...hopefully our worst mistakes are behind us!!!

Old 10-13-2016, 11:31 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I got married. That is the absolutely worst financial decision I ever made.

Helped him get out of debt. Helped him pay off lenders, which included people who do not check your credit record or send you to collection agencies but rather call and threaten to shoot your dog if you don't pay your vig on time. He just piled on more debt. Compulsive gambler, among other bad habits, but that was the most expensive of them.

Watched my rent go out the window every Sunday watching football games. I knew the spreads and the over/under for every game so I could monitor the scores and know what kind of shape we would be in each week. I still do not watch football anymore and never will again. It's like PTSD hearing the games on TV.

Fast forward. Got rid of expense; i.e., husband. Got help and got better. No longer a codependent moron.

It took years, but I got out of debt and by the time the recession hit, I had moved up in my career and was finally making decent money and able to buy a small condo for myself, so the recession itself was not a bad time for me, except that the place I bought in 2010 is worth a bit less now than I paid for it, but I really don't care because I live here and will for a while.
you beat me to it.

I had the highest household income ever while married but living paycheck to paycheck. I had more money when I was single and earned so-so money. He earned twice my income but I paid off his debt once we married.

So I decided that I don't work or only part time. Less money, less dumb spending. Then I had an awesome opportunity working full time and I took it. His spending increased. Nothing to show for though, just plain out the window.

My only chance to save money from getting "lost" was buying real estate. Best decision ever. Bought in 2010. Got rid of hubby in 2011.

My income is less than half as when I was married. But I have as much money as never before. Bought him out of the house. He spent the money I gave him within a month.

I own a house and paid off vehicles. He lives in a rental and still pays off his motorcycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance