Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 AM

3,050 posts, read 5,008,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Frankly, if you are engaged all of your thoughts should be "can we afford it?", "is it the best choice for us ?", and "how does it fit into our long range plans?"

I think he's trying to sneak this one in before the "boom gates" come down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 AM

18,570 posts, read 15,704,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't get what that means unless you're saying you plan to sell it at some point...but I thought you said earlier that you planned to hang on to it for quite awhile? That's about the only reason I'd buy such an expensive car NEW - drive it into the ground! Don't let staying ahead of depreciation be some kind of "selling point" for you if you don't intend to sell it - it's irrelevant and should have no particular impact.

Remember just because you can afford something doesn't mean it is good for you...sure, 0% interest sounds great, but you're STILL spending the $30k and interest really makes little difference in that light so don't let the tail wag the dog.
Well, being right side up means if something unexpected happens (e.g. a layoff), it can be sold.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:23 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,738,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What are your long term plans? When will you be married? Any potential children within the window that you will have this $500 payment? Will you need to trade that car in for a kid-friendly car? What's the fiancé driving? Does she need to replace it soon? Can you afford two car payments, and potential day care and child costs?

Your initial post was pretty self-centered, but now that you are engaged, you need to change your way of thinking, especially if kids are in the forecast within the next 5 years or so. The question really becomes, "Is it in the best interest of my family for me to buy this car?". And then only you can answer that.

But, if you aren't planning kids, and your fiancé is debt free and makes $90K/year...go for it.
this is a kid friendly car

fiance leases.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Well, being right side up means if something unexpected happens (e.g. a layoff), it can be sold.
bingo. in the absolute worst-case scenario i would be able to sell it to satisfy the loan and lease something super cheap if need be.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:28 AM

31,338 posts, read 14,438,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
About me:
30 years old
Engaged

Financial info:

$80K salary
~10-12% yearly bonus
Contribute 16% to 401K
~$26K in 401K (I know this isn't excellent)
$5500 ROTH IRA
$20K cash

Debt:
$950/mo. rent
~$150 utilities
~$1500 paid off monthly on CC (all other expenses including entertainment, food, etc.)
No other debt (no loans)

Vehicle in question:
Reliable vehicle I plan to drive for the next 7+ years and keep as I start a family
Lowest depreciation among all car brands (doesn't matter much I guess?)
~$30K out the door
~$5-6K trade-in
Total cost: $24-25K

Plan to finance full amount at 0% for 48 months

Please let me know your thoughts. Reason I'm looking to get rid of current vehicle is that it's going on 10 years old and has been giving me some maintenance issues. Also it's a want as current vehicle does not really fit my "needs".

As an aside my salary is slightly low for my experience and will be hoping to approach ~$100K within the next year or two.

Do you think I can afford it?

Thank you.

The better question is, why would you WANT a $30,000 car when you can get a fine running car for 1/3 of that cost? Pay cash if you can and avoid the banks! Make your life easier.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:31 AM

26,224 posts, read 21,763,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The better question is, why would you WANT a $30,000 car when you can get a fine running car for 1/3 of that cost? Pay cash if you can and avoid the banks! Make your life easier.
You could ask this question on damn near anything. Why? It's more than likely a 30k car is going to be better, newer and/or have more features than one costing 10k. Why buy a ribeye when you can eat rice and beans?

Can you afford it from a cash flow perspective? Yes

Old 10-13-2016, 09:31 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,319,048 times
Sure you can afford it. Any time you buy something you are compromising on other things, but with a 170K household income in the near future those compromises shouldn't be too painful. Just don't let the car dealer talk you into spending 40K on warranties and upgrades.

My only advice is to make sure that your fiancee is on the same page and that she likes the car as well. Once you get married and have a kid, the luxury of having completely separate cars can go away, and you end up driving each other's cars quite a bit. I bought my current car before I met my wife, and she hates it because it is a stick. She reminds me weekly that the next car I get will have to be an automatic.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
find me a safe, reliable and at least relatively enjoyable vehicle for $15k (out the door price incl taxes).

now if you were to say $20k, OK, you can get a bare bones Subaru Impreza for that price.

in my mind, when you amortize the additional ~$10k over the life of the vehicle, those relatively small dollars are worth some extra comfort and utility.

i could be off base though.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:09 AM

58 posts, read 58,236 times
When any financial topics appear in C-D I always wonder where people live because I watch a lot of HGTV and realized how different houses costs in different parts of the country. The differences in costs are tremendous. With that said, with an income of $170k, you will be totally fine getting that car especially if you live in an area where housing costs are moderate. For example, I live in Houston and with an income of $170k you could live in a very nice gated community or if you’re rather minimalistic a tract home and pay it off in 5 yrs probably. Mind you Texas housing is probably some of the lowest in the country. If you live say in where a 1,200 sq ft home is $365k you’re still fine but it’s a different ball game and well 1,200 sq ft is probably all you and your fiancé personally ever want.

Anyways, get the car and make sure your fiancé is in on it 100 percent

Old 10-13-2016, 01:17 PM

31,338 posts, read 14,438,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You could ask this question on damn near anything. Why? It's more than likely a 30k car is going to be better, newer and/or have more features than one costing 10k. Why buy a ribeye when you can eat rice and beans?

Can you afford it from a cash flow perspective? Yes

My response to this is, the better bet is to spend the $10K instead of the $30K and invest the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance