Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:55 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,061,611 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys. I would have thought there would be other possibilities, but you've given me a few to think about.

It's just a shame that the government takes such a HUGE chunk for taxes out of separation pay, just exactly when it would do the most good in that persons pocket to stay alive.

I'm a 57 (58 in another 1.5 months) year old I.T. guy that didn't need a degree to get a good job and work my way up the last 28 years. Unfortunately, the fact that I never took the time to get any degree is now making it impossible for me to find another high paying I.T. job, when they can hire Indians to replace us for only $6,000 a year.

No degree, and they won't even LOOK at your resume anymore, it doesn't matter what experience or skills you have. That degree is the first key to having any chance at all with corporations anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 12:23 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,684,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I want to get back as large of a refund as I legally can, yet keep my hands on what separation pay I already have after they took out the 36.9% off the top. Adjusted income before below possible deductions should be about: $92k

HSA = $4750.00 left that I can still contribute (I'm over 55, and it's a family plan)
Trad IRA = $6,500.00 I WAS in a 401k plan for 3/4's of the year, but no longer can contribute to it since I've been let go.

Next years RE taxes = $2,200
January mortgage interest = ~$285.00
Possibly. The limit for MFJ and covered by a retirement plan at work is 98k. If you are off a bit on your estimate, you may hit the phase-out range, but you can still take a partial deduction up to 118k. Your wife could contribute to her traditional IRA too.

See this chart: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...t-plan-at-work

If your wife does not have a retirement plan at work, this chart applies to her: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...t-plan-at-work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance